CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Anyone use Layne Labs?

Old 09-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #21
DaGiant
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusacoils View Post
I just did a price comparison.

I Picked

100 day old pinks
100 Hoppers
100 Sm Mice

LayneLabs = $154.14
Rodentpro= $134.88

Wayne
I'm in so cal, my shipping is $36 with layne
it was $71 with Rodent Pro..
Big difference to me..

Old 09-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #22
nlt71
I mentioned this in another post. They make up the price difference in shipping savings. Overall, I saved a few dollars with Layne and they had the mice I needed in stock versus having to wait a couple of weeks only to find that if you didn't get on the exact day they said it would be available, then Rodent Pro had run out again.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #23
arimaris
I know volunteers at one of the raptor programs in Colorado who have used them for a while and really like them. And they were cheaper than most other options to Colorado as well.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #24
dickdeuel
I checked out Layne Labs about a year ago and their prices were so high they weren't even competitive. I'll stick with mice from Mice Direct. They are close enough that shipping is UPS Ground. Even better now that they are irradiated!

Old 09-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #25
wildlife lover
Smile What you should know about Layne Labs

When I saw this thread, I know I needed to set up an account and share what we know about Layne Labs... because those people are really cool.
OK, here's how it went down...

About 4 years ago my son and I came out of a shopping mall just in time to see a owl bounce off the front of a car. It was all busted up, so we started making calls to see what to do- finally got someone who said they would come pick up the bird. We sat down and waited. About 30 people walked by, looked and then kept walking (nice, right?).

Then a lady and her daughter saw the bird, stopped and took out her phone. We got up and went over to tell her we already called for help. The lady (sorry, don't know her name) said she would wait with the bird, but my son Justin was REALLY committed.

The lady took out a business card and wrote something on the back and gave it to Justin to pass it along to the person who picked up the owl. As soon as she left I took the card to check it out. The lady was the owner of Layne Labs, and on the back of the card she wrote something like "It's not looking good, if you can use him for education, I'll be his sponsor". Someone finally came for the owl and we handed over the card.

Justin talked about 'the night he saved an owl' and 'his owl' a lot, and called to check on him a bunch of time. OK, that was three of four years ago.....
fast forward to this summer.

We signed the kids up for science camp and on one of the days they had someone bring in local wildlife. You see where this is going.... the owl was there... and it's name... wait for it... Justin.

My son almost lost it. The person at the fair confirmed where the owl was found, that it's wing was broken and it couldn't hunt, and all the details. And that Layne Labs was it's sponsor. That's five or six mice a day... for 4 years and counting.

That lady from Layne Labs could have just walked by that owl like everyone else did. But she stopped, and ponied up to give away 6 mice everyday, to one of their paying customers, for then next ten years. That's really cool.

Sorry for the long post, but those people are really cool, and I thought it was worth the effort to say so.
(We love this website, and learn a lot from you guys. Keep up the good work

Old 09-11-2010, 01:35 AM   #26
DaGiant
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdeuel View Post
I checked out Layne Labs about a year ago and their prices were so high they weren't even competitive. I'll stick with mice from Mice Direct. They are close enough that shipping is UPS Ground. Even better now that they are irradiated!
This proves the east coast stays with mice direct or rodent pro,
and us on the west coast stay with Layne..
Layne cheaper for us, others cheaper for the east..
I WONT pay $71+ for shipping..

Old 09-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #27
nlt71
Thank you for confirming what they claim on their website.

Your story really touched me since I'm a teacher that brings in animals to my classroom. Justin, and you, should be proud of the time that you took to make a difference for this owl -- and all of the people that he helps educate.

Layne will be my new suppliers from now on.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #28
PrettyBoyCorn
Thanks for the heartwarming story that seems to fit my limited experience with Layne Labs, which is confined to only two orders placed so far -- the first one for 50 pinkies I ordered when I bought my first two cornsnakes, the other for 100 fuzzies which I ordered several days ago when my two babes downed the last of the pinkies. My second order arrived yesterday, preceded by something no other Internet vendor has ever done for me: I got a phone call day before yesterday from Layne Labs -- a real person, not a recording -- alerting me that my order had shipped and would be delivered by FedEx the next day; then I got a second call yesterday reminding me that the order would be delivered within hours. The fuzzies arrived on schedule, and my two corns scafed down one fuzzy apiece. I can't compare Layne Labs to any other vendor, and right now I have no reason to try.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #29
wildlife lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlt71 View Post
Thank you for confirming what they claim on their website.

Your story really touched me since I'm a teacher that brings in animals to my classroom. Justin, and you, should be proud of the time that you took to make a difference for this owl -- and all of the people that he helps educate.

Layne will be my new suppliers from now on.
Thanks for the kind words. It's amazing what a positive influence animals have on kids. Justin's teacher last year had several classroom pets. I'm not sure how he pulled it off, there must be 'rules' against it. One of the classroom pets was a corn snake, which I'm sure influenced birthday gifts in our home this year

We're snake newbies, and I didn't even consider frozen as an option before learning about it on this site. We'll definitely order from Layne Labs. I imagine the shipping will be quite reasonable!

Old 09-11-2010, 10:51 PM   #30
nlt71
Thanks for reminding me, Pretty Boy. I also got a personal phone call when the order shipped and when it arrived.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google