CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

ESCAPEE or HIDE LOG HORRORS?

Old 11-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #91
Slinky'sMommy
You dodged a bullet on that! Once, someone(no one confessed) decided to put my cage clips for my Ball python on the back of his tank… They were useless in that spot, it opened like a box! Thank goodness he hadn't decided to try to get out!

Old 11-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #92
TheFrogman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky'sMommy View Post
You dodged a bullet on that! Once, someone(no one confessed) decided to put my cage clips for my Ball python on the back of his tank… They were useless in that spot, it opened like a box! Thank goodness he hadn't decided to try to get out!
Well you dodged the bullet too, I agree, I was lucky.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #93
devante9901
My baby garter got out of the 5 gallon version of the Zilla cage originally discussed.

I believe he wedged his head through the notches at the back that are for, what hanging a water bottle, or allowing for electrical cords? He managed to bend the plastic enough to get out, then tried to go back in (because he met the dog, possibly) and was stuck with his head in and and his body out. He'd thrashed and pooped, and was probably stuck for 10 or more minutes until I walked through the room and saw him. Fortunately he wasn't injured, and now, a month or so later, is eating well and about to shed.

I folded packing tape over both the notches, and he has not escaped since. Whew. I swear, the cat is just WAITING for him to escape.

~SM 0.0.1 Butler's garter (my "starter" snake, perhaps)

Old 12-13-2013, 05:18 AM   #94
Nanci
You might want to use aquarium silicone or hot glue over the notches. Tape is never permanently secure.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #95
devante9901
Thank you, Nanci, I will look for a more permanent solution than tape! I'm a zoo docent and handle snakes for educational programs, but this garter snake (Kyle) is the first snake I've ever taken care of at home.

The small slits could easily be filled with aquarium silicon, but my tank also has inch long notches like so: \______/ on either side, in the plastic tank edging, just to the right and left of the tiny "cord" slits. I'm not sure if Kyle "remembers" getting stuck, but he hasn't seemed to try getting out that way again, and in fact, now that he's used to his viv, he seems content. He's eating euro worms with no hesitation, doesn't even hide from us while eating anymore, and has climbed up my arm to come out a time or two. He loves window sills and hates the smooth plastic bin we keep handy in case he gets too wiggly to hold onto.

(Although he had milky eyes and has been hiding for the past several days, so we're not handling him now, waiting for shed - it's funny, but he really has a kind of "body language" that tells me if he's receptive to being handled or really not receptive at all. He's just darling).

~SM 0.0.1 Butler's garter snake

Old 12-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #96
Nanci
He remembers. Once they find an escape route, they never forget.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #97
jayocampo88
I've kept mine in regular fish tanks. Never really decided to go on and spend so much on a Zilla. Except the first time though. But even then I didn't like the top on it.

It's this one:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pet-Select...-Pets/10324371

Never failed out on me at all. Never had an escapee with that top. It has different size clips and the clips get bolted on so only way to get the top off is to use a screwdriver..

Old 02-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #98
jayocampo88
Out of curiosity, what about just simply grabbing a branch from a tree and dropping it into the tank??

Just making sure it's not cedar though?

Old 02-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #99
Buzzbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayocampo88 View Post
Out of curiosity, what about just simply grabbing a branch from a tree and dropping it into the tank??

Just making sure it's not cedar though?
A) Not everyone can just pop outside to grab a tree branch (live in flats in cities etc etc).

B) You'd have to really sterilise the branch to make sure what you're bringing in isn't carrying any bugs or anything that could harm your snake.

B ii) On that note you may want to make sure the branch doesn't have any sharp breaks etc that can catch on the snake to harm it.

Whilst it's a great idea I feel it's only a great idea if you can make sure you can do it without putting the snake at any risk... and some people prefer the fake, easy to clean decos that aren't the dreaded log

Old 08-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #100
ravendance
Possible new "Hide Log of Horrors"....although this is more a tree, so "Hide Tree of Horrors?"

I wanted to get Starfire's (my new opal who will be coming in the mail to me on Aug 20th) cage all set up waaay ahead of time. I already have small frozen pinkies in the freezer (yes i know to wait a week before touching/feeding her).

I went to Petsmart and saw this cute little bonsai tree. Brought it home, and was looking it over....and I could see this nice lovely spot a baby corn could easily get itself stuck. The "tree of horrors" has been returned, but I thought you guys would like to see it (and my solution)

Here's the tree...looking all nifty and has built in hiding spot, looks all nice for a baby snake.

Only, when flipped upside down, something just doesn't look right. (this is up and inside the hide) Look by the white plug in the center of the photo.

From what I can tell, that pathway goes all of the way up into the tree, and therefore you'd basically need to destroy the whole decoration to get a potentially stuck snake out.

Here is how I resolved the issue (after returning the horror tree)

I found a similar one in the aquatics department. Now, there was a very large round opening at the base (and a small tiny hole). .25 cents at Micheals and some hot glue - problem solved (I closed off the hole with a wood disk and closed off the tiny tiny hole with plain hot glue). After the glue dried, I tried to pry it off - no way is the disk coming free.

New Tree:

Fixed Tree:

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
escape, escaped, escapee