CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Feeder Mice

Old 06-18-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
lacy_poo
Feeder Mice

Im fairly new to taking care of snakes. I have a several month old cornsnake and was recently given a 5 year old because they couldnt take care of it anymore. The folks i got it from told me that he only eats live mice (where as my little one eats thawed pinkies just fine). I feed them sunday mornings and so going and buying a feeder mouse early in the morning is a little inconvenient. how might i go about buying one the night before and keeping it till morning? Are there special arrangements that should be made?

Old 06-18-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
why not just switch the snake to feeding on frozen/thawed? It's easy to do.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:35 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
This is why "Live Mice" should not be fed to pet snakes today especially when Frozen are so readily available. Mice have been known to seriously injure snakes and even kill them. They know the snake is a danger to them and they "Fight Back." (Video Below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkyCAxnVGVI

Old 06-18-2016, 11:39 PM   #4
Myca
Someone gave me an adult corn that had always been fed live mice. I waited a week after I got him and and offered a thawed mouse. He took it a little slowly the first couple of times. Had no problem switching him over.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:27 AM   #5
axis1
There are so many reasons NOT to feed live rodents to cornsnakes that I just don't understand why anyone does anymore, unless frozen rodents aren't available anywhere near them. However, that would also mean that they are living somewhere which may not be the best place to keep a cornsnake! Unless I'm missing something obvious?

Old 06-20-2016, 11:48 PM   #6
Myca
The old man that gave me my adult raised mice. He just through in one at feeding time. I was buying pinkies that he had frozen when he gave me the snake...Oscar. I think he did it that way because it was easier.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #7
DollysMom
Congrats on Oscar. I love the name. Best wishes on switching him to F/T. Funny thing but older corns usually just want to eat, lol.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:42 AM   #8
KaylaEliuk
If you need to, you can always either poke holes in or cut the f/t mouse to get him to eat it.
I use a corn cob holder and stab both the head and body a few times for both my BP and my corn. I don't need to, I just do it because. The smell of the blood will help.
Also, hang it by its tail with tongs and kind of wiggle it.
If they get hungry enough, they will usually take it.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Old 06-22-2016, 12:50 AM   #9
DLena
A corncob holder... Great idea.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #10
sdavis2
All of my six snakes eat live except the smallest, but I will tell you this, if you plan on feeding your snake live don't start until they're past the pinky/fuzzy size as it can be a pain in the rear to find live pinkys sometimes. At least where I'm from.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google