CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Excess Feeders, suggestions please?

Old 07-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #11
sdavis2
Not sure how out doorsy you are. And I know this sounds gross/weird. But a smelly left out thawed mouse makes for great fish bait. Especially catfish. Just a suggestion that's better than the trash can!

Old 07-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #12
albertagirl
I've also heard of people using them as cat/dog (or apparently fish) treats if you have other pets.

Fish bait! Never thought of that. I know what I'll be doing with mine in the future!

Old 07-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #13
cinnabunbun
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertagirl View Post
I think the difference is that baby mice have more fat, and less muscle/bone. So the nutrient balance is different. More calcium for sure and maybe more protein too in an older mouse. Also, the contents of their stomachs would be different, so that may have nutritional impact as well. I don't know how much difference it makes for a short period, but if you were to feed your snake nothing but pinkies forever, you'd probably end up with health issues. It's been a while since I read up on this, so I'm pretty fuzzy on the details, but there IS a difference.
That's what I thought. She needs more nutrients content as she grows. Otherwise, pinkies would be just stomach fillers for Levi. I read up on Kathy Love's guide on tending to snakes who regurged so the pinkie would act as a bland food to help rebalance the stomach.

I currently don't have any other pets. Just me and Levi. Depending on my income, I may look into getting a rescue dog or cat. Thanks for the great tips though!

Old 07-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #14
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabunbun View Post
I sorta just followed Dragonling's suggestion on how much feeders to buy. Feeding more pinkies in a feeding might seem nutritionally deficient because she's still a growing snake.
Yeahhhhh I overestimate how many smaller mice I'm going to need. Right now I've got about 40 extra pinkies in the freezer, but hopefully I'll be able to use them up with eggs hatching soon and another new baby arriving in a month or two. Otherwise I'd probably be giving Tango one or two as an appetizer before his usual small mouse. If it makes you feel any better, he got double and even triple pinks for WAY too long but is approaching his first birthday at about 140g. He's well on his way to being adult size in another year or so.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #15
cinnabunbun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Yeahhhhh I overestimate how many smaller mice I'm going to need. Right now I've got about 40 extra pinkies in the freezer, but hopefully I'll be able to use them up with eggs hatching soon and another new baby arriving in a month or two. Otherwise I'd probably be giving Tango one or two as an appetizer before his usual small mouse. If it makes you feel any better, he got double and even triple pinks for WAY too long but is approaching his first birthday at about 140g. He's well on his way to being adult size in another year or so.
Hehe, better to have extra than to be short of it! Pet store feeders are WAY overpriced. I bought the 25 ct of fuzzies, so I'll probably have to do the same thing with fuzzies once she reaches pass that stage too.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #16
axis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertagirl View Post
I think the difference is that baby mice have more fat, and less muscle/bone. So the nutrient balance is different. More calcium for sure and maybe more protein too in an older mouse. Also, the contents of their stomachs would be different, so that may have nutritional impact as well. I don't know how much difference it makes for a short period, but if you were to feed your snake nothing but pinkies forever, you'd probably end up with health issues. It's been a while since I read up on this, so I'm pretty fuzzy on the details, but there IS a difference.
Wow!

Thanx albertagirl! I stand corrected! Also appreciate the info, as that might make a difference in the quantities of pinkies I might purchase at one time. Though with hatchlings on the way, it's kinda difficult thinking that through (actually just had a brain fart!). The good thing about hatchlings is since they don't actually NEED to be fed till a week AFTER their first shed, purchasing a certain quantity can thankfully wait until all of them hatch (at least, the FIRST clutch, that is!).

Thanx again!!!

Old 07-10-2016, 10:55 PM   #17
albertagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis1 View Post
Wow!

Thanx albertagirl! I stand corrected! Also appreciate the info, as that might make a difference in the quantities of pinkies I might purchase at one time. Though with hatchlings on the way, it's kinda difficult thinking that through (actually just had a brain fart!). The good thing about hatchlings is since they don't actually NEED to be fed till a week AFTER their first shed, purchasing a certain quantity can thankfully wait until all of them hatch (at least, the FIRST clutch, that is!).

Thanx again!!!
I try to be helpful with the little bit of knowledge I've acquired/retained so far. The blind leading the blind some days I'm sure, if you listen to me for long enough you'll figure out I'm just guessing based on something I half remember reading 3 years ago while having a conversation with my dog.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:55 PM   #18
sdavis2
I'm serious, if you're a fishing person put them all together in a tub and seal it. Let it sit in the sun so they "rot" but not so much that they start to fall apart. Then keep them room temp until using them......hello catfish!!!!! I say this from experience.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:57 PM   #19
sdavis2
Or don't let them rot at all and top water fish with them, hello bass!!! Again from experience.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:38 AM   #20
axis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis2 View Post
I'm serious, if you're a fishing person put them all together in a tub and seal it. Let it sit in the sun so they "rot" but not so much that they start to fall apart. Then keep them room temp until using them......hello catfish!!!!! I say this from experience.
Ok, now this is gettin' kinda gross!

(Time to make like a donkey's dong & HIT the ROAD!!!)

Later Gator!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
feeders, mice