CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

king snake influence in tessera morph?

Old 01-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #61
DMong
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave partington View Post
Perhaps you are considering the tesseras with the broken up pattern/incomplete stripe down the back as 100% tessera? They look intermediate to me. I think Joe's price is right considering the quality.
Personally I would have sent them to Korea with the rest of the scrap from asst'd projects. Keep the price stronger in this country. I know, too much work. Let's crash the market on ourselves and then point the finger elsewhere.

Remember back when the first tess were available?
no hets listed. hefty price.
BHB tess, no hets listed, hundred bucks.
All these other breeders listing tess with hets, a little more money. not much more money. Are we crashing the market on ourselves by getting ten bucks more for each p/het listed?
Just simple variation, like in motleys, zig-zags, or almost any other corn morph in my opinion. Certainly not a Cal. king hybrid intermediate by any stretch.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #62
dave partington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I guess I just judge people by their past history. That doesn't mean everyone has to agree with me.
I believe all persons are redeemable.
Doing so helps me to become a better individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMong View Post
Just simple variation, like in motleys, zig-zags, or almost any other corn morph in my opinion. Certainly not a Cal. king hybrid intermediate by any stretch.
repped. like many in this thread.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:13 AM   #63
MindsEyeExotics
I thought from the first time I saw a tessera that it was part king..I knew someone who had a definite hybrid that looked very close to a tess..don't know why it's such a vicious subject..if a snake is beautiful and healthy, then it is. It's good to track genetics if you know them, but I don't think it's worth all the commotion about hybrids. If you see a snake that is visually appealing should it's origins cause you to dislike it simply based on that? Tesseras are neat snakes, regaurdless of their lineage

Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #64
Nanci
Quote:
Personally I would have sent them to Korea with the rest of the scrap from asst'd projects.
I hope I never view babies I brought into being as "scrap." If I ever do, it's time to GTF out of snake breeding.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #65
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68 View Post
Walter I think Susan was being facetious
Indeed I was Chris! (The use of and would have been the really big clues.) My reasoning behind it...the ultra-hybrid issue, which, IMO, has not been sufficiently resolved, yet when the 2 sources I mentioned listed ultra as being a hybrid gene, it seemed as if a good portion of the corn snake world dumped their ultras as a result.

And perhaps there is more to the reasoning behind Joe's conclusions concerning tesseras. I recall at least one thread somewhere concerning the difference in phenotype between Joe's tesseras and those of other breeders. The pattern of Joe's line is more "broken" and "messier" when compared to the "cleaner" and more "uniformed" tesseras of other lines. Is it "just" normal variation between the lines, or something else?

Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #66
dave partington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I hope I never view babies I brought into being as "scrap." If I ever do, it's time to GTF out of snake breeding.
Guess I could have stated that better for your sake.
"spare parts" of assorted projects which I feel would be better to send away then to sell with hets listed so that someone else can go into competition with me by quickly producing the same target". I often see a new morph/combo and the value they fetch plummets rapidly because everyone is doing it.

Thanks for moderating

Old 01-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #67
Mitchell Mulks
Susan, if I remember my discussions with Joe properly his tessera was produced by KJ; therefore his snake is from the originating tessera stock.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #68
Outcast
Trust is a big issue for me. I trust the people who say this snake is a corn snake. I do not trust Joe.

Now, I realize that as human beings, we have changed the very essence of pretty much everything we touch, in order to better suit our needs/wants. This being the case, you can pretty much guarantee, that the majority of the snakes in every single one of our collections has some DNA from an outside species. You cannot assume that every new thing that comes around is because of a hybridization (I personally like the common ancestor hypothesis).

In fact, many of the wild-caught snakes that people see, most likely also share DNA with other species, due to way back in the bloodlines someone got lonely.

Also, I believe that there would be genetic throwbacks every so often. Which I have not seen anyone post in their Tessera threads. Look at Humans, every so often I see someone who has Neanderthal features (not knocking on them at all). They resemble the facial reconstructions that I have seen of Neanderthal skulls. Would we not be seeing similar things like this in the Tessera line?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #69
Nanci
Quote:
Guess I could have stated that better for your sake.

Thanks for moderating
Gee Dave, I bet you wish there was a sarcasm font!

The last time I checked, the mods here were allowed to have personal opinions, which they could freely express, without fear of retribution. When I am typing in plain black text, that would be me, being myself. I have a good memory, and I remember the crappy things people do, and generally believe that the saying a leopard can't change its spots has merit.

My personal opinions have nothing to do with the moderation of this site.

But go ahead- keep sniping at me.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #70
Nanci
I have a question. Is every snake, world-wide, that has a banded pattern a Cali king hybrid, too? Using the same logic...

What about saddles?? What about wide-stripe? What about zig-zag?

HINT: read up about the radius-threshold model of cellular automation...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google