CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Eating backwards?

Old 07-28-2020, 08:21 PM   #1
MissJennifer
Eating backwards?

I really wasn't sure if this went here or in feeding (that looked more on the mice/rats/ what to feed); but I've never seen Crue do this & was curious if others have seen this.

I just finished her weekly feed (2 large mice - defrosted. Done with the Repti-Cal after 5 weeks) & with her second one she grabbed it on the hind leg & proceeded it eat it tail first!
Naturally I was nervous - because ALL the what ifs & she dragged it into her log to finish up. She's fine; looking for more because she's a pig like that. I'm going to dbl check with the vet on going back to sm. Rats with her appetite.

In all seriousness, how much do I need to play worried mom with her eating a mouse backwards? One other detail - a few drops of blood was coming out of its nose or mouth - was in the bag.

Thanks everyone on opinions.

Enclosed are photos of her looking for more food & curled up in the house.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Old 07-28-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
Backwards is fine. I've noticed that baby corn snakes will eat pinkies forwards or backwards, but once they get to larger mice, they always start at the head. But if she got it down without a problem, then there's no need to worry. How is her weight looking? Most corn snakes do not need to eat multiple adult mice and rats are even fattier than mice, so they're not the best idea for long term feeding.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:39 PM   #3
MissJennifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Backwards is fine. I've noticed that baby corn snakes will eat pinkies forwards or backwards, but once they get to larger mice, they always start at the head. But if she got it down without a problem, then there's no need to worry. How is her weight looking? Most corn snakes do not need to eat multiple adult mice and rats are even fattier than mice, so they're not the best idea for long term feeding.
Hi
Her weight looks roughly the same as when I adopted her.
When she was had her first two visits with the vet; they remarked "good weight & condition" . first weight was at 578 grams
Next was at 372g.
She also laid 31 slugs between the dates (April & June).
So we're wondering how much of April's weight was eggs?
I enclosed a photo of today's weight - had to go get a scale for this.

Doc recommended the 2 mice with Repti-Cal for a few weeks (been 5 actually) to help with after eggs.
All her bloodwork came back normal - we played safe.
I'm e-mailing with today's weight & body photo to get the okay to go back to small rats as food.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:11 PM   #4
hypnoctopus
She looks pretty good. They do definitely lose a bit of weight after laying eggs. And 31 eggs is a pretty big clutch!

Old 07-30-2020, 09:27 PM   #5
MissJennifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
She looks pretty good. They do definitely lose a bit of weight after laying eggs. And 31 eggs is a pretty big clutch!
She decided to be an overachiever for her first time lol..... Part of me if glad they were slugs! Although I love the babies & Crue would have been an awesome mom the stress of the process - She did it over a month!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google