CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Everytime I try to pickup my baby corn snake he just slithers away so fast

Old 07-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
Mikesnakeares
Everytime I try to pickup my baby corn snake he just slithers away so fast

Will he eventually tame down when he's older and will let me pick him up?

Old 07-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
restes
does he settle?

When I initially pick my boy up (~1 yr old) he is VERY active for the first 30 seconds or so. I just keep a controlled, entangled hold on on him, not a GRIP or anything, but just enough so he cant jump away and escape. He is even a little snappy at times but after that first >minute he settles and casually cruises through my hands.
Have you tried waiting out the energy or do you put him away right after he shows resistance?

Old 07-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
Mikesnakeares
I normally try for like 30 seconds and he just runs away so fast!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Pepper
Thats usually normal.. they call that stage the "hate-ling" stage.. eventually he will become calm and won't want to slither away... my corn snake used to be like that.. its been 6 months since i've had him and he is really mellow and calm. Don't worry handle him atleast once a day for 10 minutes or more and eventually he will be tame

Old 07-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
jessicalb
Pick him up quickly and confidently, and then hold him confidently. Don't squeeze or grab him, but keep a solid hold on him, support all parts of his body, and at first only hold him until he calms down and then return him to his viv.

Also, try picking him up when he is under a hide. Mine will run like crazy and act like I am a hungry bird if I pick him up while he's out exploring, but if I grab him out from under an easy-to-lift hide, he behaves like a ball python. Just sits in my hands and is very laid back.

After a little while he will probably figure out that you are a nice warm, safe food source and so he will be more calm when you get him out. I promise that being calm and confident really does help. Our snakes can tell who is tense when holding them and they reflect that back bright and clear.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
Mikesnakeares
Alright thanks! I'm gonna try again later today!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
corn snake