CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

9-16-15 Third O. p. coxi clutch.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:32 PM   #1
Tavia
9-16-15 Third O. p. coxi clutch.

Serenity laid 3 clutches this year, this last one was small, 2 slugs and 2 fertile. Pretty sure this will be her last clutch of the year and it was something of a surprise. One of the 2 fertile eggs hatched yesterday and is a nice 9 grams, with 2 1/2 cross bars. Can't wait to see the last baby!

Old 09-17-2015, 10:40 PM   #2
carol
Hi!!! Congrats on the clutches! Send me an email if you have an extra female. Carol at Lowbelly dot com.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:04 PM   #3
Tavia
Email sent! And boy howdy do I have a ton of females ...

Old 09-18-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
Tavia
The second and final baby of the season is out now, at a very nice 11.2 grams! Has two cross bars.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:02 PM   #5
Karl_Mcknight
those snakes are beautiful. How is their temperament as adults? Are they as nice and friendly as typical American Rat snakes?

Old 09-18-2015, 08:25 PM   #6
Tavia
They are more typical Asian ratsnake temperament. Definitely on the feisty side! You want to keep handling down a bit because too much can put them off feed but 5 to 15 minutes a day while they are not digesting food calms them down pretty good. Our male is decent to handle, we've even taken him to shows and allowed a few people to handle him, the mom to these is pretty opinionated and doesn't like being handled pretty much any time. Other adult female we have varies, sometimes she's fine with being handled and sometimes not! These are definitely not for someone afraid of being bitten, as the youngsters are going to bite you at least a few times.

I don't generally have the time to really work with the babies but did have a friend want one, so I chose her one of the calmest and then worked with it for a month, making sure to handle it at least once a day for 5 to 10 minutes and that helped a ton. They are still a very fast snake while young and will earn those racing stripes they have!

They are a very reasonable size, generally around the same width as a corn but a bit shorter. 3' to 4' is typical, females are usually a little bigger than males.
Their husbandry is fairly easy but different from a corn. The biggest thing is that they don't tolerate higher temps well and exposure to 85 degrees plus can kill them fairly fast.

Here is a good care sheet on them if you are interested.
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Snak...us-Rat-Snakes/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google