CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

I think I found a Homemade viv Design I like.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
Allalaskan
I think I found a Homemade viv Design I like.

I have been looking around at homemade Vivs trying to get an idea on how how I want to build mine in the future months. Well after looking around I saw this one and absalutely love it.

THIS IS NOT MINE! Just what Im going to base mine off of. How ever mine will be diffrent on how the vivs are set up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QopGy...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yToDA..._order&list=UL

I want to have mine set up very similer to this. I like how you can pull out the centers to make the cage bigger. Plan on having about 6 lvls instead of five like he has. Having the bottem 3 lvls be single large chamber for 3 (yearling and up) large snakes then have the 4th lvl have 4-5 chambers for young snakes and possibly other future reptiles. Then have the 5th chamber be a 2 chamber for either younger or small snakes (corns or not) then have the top chamber be a large.

I am still designing this but This is what Im looking at atm. I will try to do a rough sketch in paint or something later to give you a better idea (or just to appease my excitment lol) later.

This will be an ongoing project so it may take me a month or two possibly longer to finish. I just want to get some imput from some of you and what you may think or want to add. I Figured for Heating I would get heat tape and run it accross the back side for the smaller chambers and then for the larger ones run it accross the far left side on each of the bigger chambers.

Which leads me to ask for heat tape should I put a layer of plexiglass accross the tape to help shield the snakes from to much heat? I will be reading up on this but Figured I would ask while Im typing all of this lol. LIke I said this is something I plan on working on for a few months possibly longer ( I hope not but I want to do this right) if needed. Also are there any wood sealers that you would recomend for sealing the wood that will not be harmfull to the snakes/reptiles?

I know I will have to put some money into this which is part of the reasen it will take time lol, Im on a budget so I will be getting things one at a time. Is this a sign that I may be devoloping an addiction?

Old 12-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Allalaskan
I dont know if any one will be watching this build or not haha, but if any are I think im going go with these

http://www.lowes.com/pd_240423-61448...7C1%26page%3D2

Here are some rough sketches of my plans so far. Instead of having it standing up im ganna flip it on its side so you can see into all the mini vivs easier which meens I will be putting legs on it to stand it up off the ground. The bottem 2 tanks will problubly going to be built a little diffrently, As we may in the future get a Water Dragon or Bearded Dragon they will be built to run 3 lights so what ever we may get will have the proper lighting. As for the top 4 bigger chambers, they will just have a single light and ground heat for Corn Snakes. Also I plan on having air vents for all of these will be out the back side and will be covered with Screen to keep any small reptiles from escaping.

This is a generic picture to give you an idea on worta what it will look like as far as the position of the windows. I dont have the exact dimension of the windows yet because I need to pick out what kind of trim im going to use for them so i have the size of the trim to use for the final measurement but I will have the windows as big as possible.

Im also thinking about going with heat tape for this application, it looks like it may be cheeper then UTH.

If any one has any suggestions please share Atm Im trying to plan this all out so I know what Im going to need. I do Also plan on using heat tape, and I was going to ask if I run a single strip through the top 4 chambers they should all maintain the same temp correct? Also if I run 1 strip through the entire right bank of the bottom 6 and 1 strip through the entire bank on the left of the bottom six each side SHOULD maintain the same temp as well correct? I ask this because im hoping they should so I can use less Thermostats and save some money. I figured for the bottom ones If I end up putting a lizard in those they will have heat lamps to boost the temp if needed. If i have to on the bottom 2 I could use heat pads (since I already have 1, i could just pick up a second one if I need) instead of the heat tape for the bottom 2.

Any way imput appreciated

Old 12-31-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
Jeff Linkchorst
those bulbs you are looking at get hot. You will need make something to keep your animals away from them. I did not read your thread though. I just making sure you are aware of them.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Allalaskan
O do they? ok, I figured since they were 20 watt maby they wouldnt put off to much heat but Im glad you told me. I want to use LEDs but that depends on if I can find them locally and in my price range. That style (the round low profile) is the type of fixture I would like to use. Something that doesnt take up to much space.

I guess I will start looking at just LEDs on there and see what I can find. Thanks for your reply.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
Nitelion94
Looks great. Mind if I steal part of the idea? lol. It looks like it would b great. I love the way he had the doors. I plan on starting a build this feb and I plan on using some of that guys ideas.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
Allalaskan
I found these ones, I just need to find out if they are bright enough.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_290118-30383...led%26page%3D2

This isnt LED but this may work also, only problem is to light 10 chambers (4 on top 6 on bottom) It would be very spendy. I Suppose If I have to I could always use regular Light Sockets and build some sort of "cage" around the lightbulb to keep the snakes away from the light and use a Florescent lightbulb. hmmm, this may take some creativity.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
Allalaskan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitelion94 View Post
Looks great. Mind if I steal part of the idea? lol. It looks like it would b great. I love the way he had the doors. I plan on starting a build this feb and I plan on using some of that guys ideas.
I dont care, im stealing some one elses ideas too haha.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
Allalaskan
Hmm, I may go with these , for 10 it would be $160 for all 10 spaces before shipping, but in the long run may work great for my application.

http://www.outwatercatalogs.com/lg_d.../highlight/LED

And being 6500K they should be very close to Sunlight temps.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
Jessicat
Also, keep in mind that as you build modeled after that guy's rack (which I agree looks nice), make sure everything fits tight. He specifically says, "there are some gaps back here that are fine for my BPs, but smaller snakes such as corns could get through".

Old 12-31-2010, 09:19 PM   #10
Allalaskan
Jessicat,
Ya That was something that I was thinking of also. I dont want any gaps what so ever. I was actually thinkin about going around all the edges with some kind of sylicone or calking to seal any gaps or cracks. It will have the air vents so air shouldnt be a problum but that way any baby snakes cant get out.

I really want to build a big one like I showed above (my design), but I think I may just cut it in half so its 3 large chambers and 2 possibly 3 smaller chambers for younger snakes or smaller animals. My wife doesnt seem to keen on having such a big viv in the house and the amount of money (even though over a long period of time) it will cost to build it haha. So I am thinking it will be half the size of the one I showed, that will still give me enough space for 3 adult snakes and 2-3 smaller animals. I coul always build another one down the road if my addiction needs to grow lol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google