• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

my male is suddenly not holdable

Get used to it. Snakes are unpredictable

okay i fail to see how this is a response to my asking you how cannibalization could be a problem now when the snakes have been separated for more then a month? also how is canalization a possible cause of the current problem?

point taken thank you for clearing that up, if the problem continues i'm thinking of moving some of his stuff out as he was tamer with only a hide a ledge and a small branch. maybe he just doesn't like the climbing vines like the others do.

I'll take a stab here. I don't recall if he ever bred with one of the females, but I think there is where the problem lays.

Males are notorious for going on these odd streaks of "freakishness", some every year. It seems to be linked to the males hunt for a mate. Considering that before the separation he never had to "search" for a mate:eatpointe, I wonder if this could be part of it.

I know some breeders on here have noted unusually aggressive behavior from males for a few weeks following breeding. It would be interesting to see if members reported aggressive behavior when their males were roaming for mates.

Hope this helps!:cheers:

Yes, My male quit eating. I had him for 3.5 yrs. He wanted to breed with the female I had next to him in another cage. Even though they wern`t together.. They have a great sense of smell.. But no brains...LOL

You said you put him back into the tank where he had been cohabbed. Even after cleaning it, there still may be some lingering pheromones from the female in the cage itself that are driving him nuts.

Its important to remember that if this is the problem, it will pass. As Wally says, going off feed is common in these instances, so don't be too surprised if he does.

Look on the bright side! I would take a temporarily aggressive male over an egg-bound female EVERY time.

Look on the bright side! I would take a temporarily aggressive male over an egg-bound female EVERY time.
Amen to that, he did breed with the female that's actually how i found out i had a problem (thank god she's alright) and i moved him to a tank on his own, and then moved the other female snake who i later found out was also male (but the sweetest thing ive ever met) to another tank so all three are separate and waiting new wood vivs.
thats part of the reason i'm so baffled, i would have thought the male who breed would be calm and the one who didn't would be acting like a ninny.

Hi guys,

sorry to hijack the thread but I thought that this would be a relevant place to put my question as you all seem quite knowledgeable about this type of behaviour.

Salvador is one month off being two years old now, and she (not he in this case) is acting in the same way in that if you pick her up she's often agitated. Until the last month or two she has always been very active and happy when held, but increasingly lately she's been really trying to escape and as firefur described their snake "like a whip worm". Salvador isn't being aggressive at all though, no biting and no striking- just trying to get away. Again, like firefur's corn, it's as if she thinks I'm going to eat her or something. Her temperatures are good and she is eating as normal. We give her F/T mice but she's showing good natural behaviour like striking and constricting the mouse- although since this flighty behaviour has increased I have noticed that she only bites the mouse and eats it almost right away rather than constricting first. The source of her mice hasn't changed. There are no other animals at all in the house that she might be able to smell. We haven't changed the hand sanitizer we use, or even the fabric conditioner on our clothes or anything like that. We spot clean the viv at least once a week but hadn't emptied it all out and cleaned it completely since before this behaviour started. She is only held by my boyfriend and I, mostly me though, which is the same as before. She lives in my room which is mostly empty-especially in the daytime- and even when I'm in it I'm on the opposite side of it to her.

Anyway, any advice on what we can do? I want Salvador to be the happiest she could be in captivity and I'm really not sure why but suddenly that doesn't seem to be the case :(

Chloe (on haydn's account!) x

Back