CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

An actual site?

Old 08-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
wowfood
An actual site?

Just a thought really, but we all know there's a wealth of information available on the forum as it is. But still the majority of the questions are always along the same lines. "Is poop supposed to look like this" "Should I use a bulb?" "Whats the best vegetarian diet for snakes" (okay I made that last one up)

And the forum has done amazingly well at building up a community.

So how about building a full on community site around the forum? Use the existing forum as a section of the full site, fill the site with the normal cornsnake questions and answers, perhaps give a few people the opportunity to write articles for the site.

Depending on what forum software is being used for the site at the moment, it probably wouldn't be too big of an issue integrating the forum into a wordpress site or something similar.

And with the number of people already on the site, there's bound to be a hand full of people who would be willing to help out graphics / scripting for a full site.

Just a thought though, and probably one which has been bought up in the past.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Rich Z
Is this site broken for a lot of members?

Old 08-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
beautifullywild77
It isn't broken for me. It works wonderful!

Old 08-20-2012, 05:12 AM   #4
wowfood
wait are you saying there actually is a full site? Because whenever I visit, all I get is the forum. (ignoring the chat)

Old 08-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowfood View Post
wait are you saying there actually is a full site? Because whenever I visit, all I get is the forum. (ignoring the chat)
The forum IS the site and doesn't need to be anything more. "Articles", questions and answers, photos, you name it, can already be found here. What more could you want?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
wowfood
And how many times ahs the same question been asked over, and over, and over again? You look at the same answer from several years ago and there may be a lot of detail, you look at the most recent version and you get the barebones information and that's it, because people grow bored of answering the same questions.

I mean, there are stickies for things like "don't cohab" and yet people still ask about it as though it were a new question. That's why the suggestion is to add a full site with detailed information, rather than just the forum.

That way you have the full information, in detail, on the most commonly asked things. It's posted once and hopefully people will read that. Any questions outside of that core information.

I'm not saying the information isn't already in the forum somewhere, or there isn't somebody in the forum who could answer. All I'm saying is that it seems many people get bored of answering the same question, and many new people won't bother looking for the existing answer even if it's only half way down the page.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
diamondlil
Quote:
And how many times ahs the same question been asked over, and over, and over again? You look at the same answer from several years ago and there may be a lot of detail, you look at the most recent version and you get the barebones information and that's it, because people grow bored of answering the same questions.

I mean, there are stickies for things like "don't cohab" and yet people still ask about it as though it were a new question. That's why the suggestion is to add a full site with detailed information, rather than just the forum.

That way you have the full information, in detail, on the most commonly asked things. It's posted once and hopefully people will read that. Any questions outside of that core information.

I'm not saying the information isn't already in the forum somewhere, or there isn't somebody in the forum who could answer. All I'm saying is that it seems many people get bored of answering the same question, and many new people won't bother looking for the existing answer even if it's only half way down the page.
This is a forum site, which is why it's about discussion. For the sort of info you're talking about someone would just have to read the FAQs and stickies, do a search, or just look on a basic cornsnake caresheet.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
HazAnga
I don't understand why you think we need a site when we already have one. This forum IS the site. If anything your idea would be better suited for a caresheet.
Now a detailed caresheet written by a member or members that's a sticky or something would be nice. But at the same time it's been done, just in book form, Kathy loves book (can't remember the title at the moment though).
So all in all with a search or a post you get your answers anyway.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Susan
Quote:

The information IS posted, in detail in the stickies, but most newbies will never read them no matter how it is presented. They will continue to ask the same old questions over and over and over again.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
Nanci
Remember when Ian's Vivarium used to be "just" morph photos? Now I guess it's a "complete site," with a forum and all that, and I really find it more confusing and splintered. I like it when a website does one thing and does it well, instead of being a jack of all trades, master of none. THIS site is a discussion forum. Just my opinion!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google