CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Chat room - listen up, please
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 09:18 PM   #41
PtDnsr
I probably shouldn't post because I know I'll most likely get myself in trouble for this. I just wanted to point out something on the whole "clique" mentality. I've been around for a year and a half or so. In that time I've gone from a newbie to a not-quite newbie. I visited chat more when I first started and felt a little bit like an outsider. Now when I do visit chat on occasion I don't feel like an insider. People actually know my name and say "hi katie" when I come in. I think it's partly being around for a while since there are so many people that come and go. I also think that as long as you follow good etiquette that everyone in chat will accept you. I don't believe that there is a chat "clique" - just a good group of friends that are regulars but willing to let polite others in. Just my .02

~Katie

Old 09-11-2006, 09:52 PM   #42
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taceas
It's not only Joe who's being, what was it, whiney? I have sent two mostly polite e-mails to Rich with chat logs asking for help on the matter. I wasn't demanding, I was curious as to anything that could be done to either separate CS chat into its own entity or tell the people who repeatedly make a mockery of themselves to stay away. I even apologized for sending him the chat logs, knowing he's busier than a one-armed paper-hanger these days, and I get back a rude reply. Maybe it was warranted, I'll never know.
Rude reply? How so? Let's recreate the crime scene so you can point out my rudeness to me..

First email from you:
Quote:
----- Original Message -----
To: zuchowski@comcast.net
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 10:13 PM
Subject: Chat Bullschtick

Rich,

I know how you've said not to bug you with this sort of stuff, but the chat annoyances are getting really old. It seems every night we have some asshat in there proclaiming himself to be god of , boas hots, or other people just there solely to cause trouble.

So tonight I made a separate room, after telling someone politely several times to take his non-corn talk elsewhere and a fight ensued. I made the room to be able to carry on a halfway intelligent conversation, and then this person comes in from the old cornsnakes chat room...

fanna1: taceas
Serpwidgets_CS: LMAO
cornsnakekid92_CS entered the room.
CARattler40_CS: Dammit
fanna1: u r crap!
hana_CS: yes, please!
Hurley_CS's new status is 'administrator'.
fanna1: and parker says that ur a bitch....
CARattler40_CS: rofl
fanna1 is going to The Lobby
fanna1 has left the room.
hana_CS: wooo
CARattler40_CS: Someone wants to get banned.
Wilder_CS: Whaa, boo hoo?

Is there anything that can be done to separate cornsnakes chat from Fauna? Or is it a whole escapade? Btw, jparker is the one who rattles off his extensive list of hots just about every night like it truly matters. We've asked him in the past to either talk something resembling corns or to go to the lobby, each time a fight starts as he thinks its his born right to talk about whatever he wants wherever he wants. I hate being a whiny baby, but man, why can't shooting people be legal? =P

Misty Lundberg
And my reply:

Quote:

To: Misty Lundberg
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 3:23 AM
Subject: Re: Chat Bullschtick

Well to set up a separate chat would likely require me buying another separate chat software license. Somewhere to the tune of $700 if I remember correctly. And I'm not exactly certain I could run both of them on the same server. So perhaps I would need to get another server just to run CornSnakes.com on. What do you think? Sound like fun yet?

If you can figure out a way to keep cretins off of a website, I'll buy a dozen of your solutions. Name your price..............

Rich Zuchowski
Then your second email to me:
Quote:
To: Rich Zuchowski
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2006 8:10 PM
Subject: Ban me? =P

Feel free to ban me...but here's a good idea of what we put up with every night...

Pay attention to Clarinet45, she causes trouble just about every time she's in CS.

RealChat Server Version 2.2.2a, Enterprise Edition
Welcome to the FaunaClassifieds Chat Room!

10 people in 9 rooms.
Taceas_CS entered the room.
You are in Cornsnakes.
There are 1 people in the room.

Cornsnakes [1] Taceas_CS,
No Tards [9] Serpwidgets_CS, Hurley_CS, jazzgeek_CS, Daeraelle_CS, Candy_Cane1_CS, Fenderplayer108_CS, shed_n_my_skin_CS, jzal8_CS, lefty_mussolini_CS,

Taceas_CS is going to No Tards
Taceas_CS entered the room.
You are in No Tards.
There are 10 people in the room.
Room owner: Serpwidgets_CS
lefty_mussolini_CS: LOL
jazzgeek_CS: Ooooh, and the sweat!
Candy_Cane1_CS: FLAMO
Serpwidgets_CS: LMAO @ Misty
Taceas_CS: Oook.
Serpwidgets_CS: WHat did you do already?
Taceas_CS: Beats the hell out of me.
Candy_Cane1_CS: Taceas_CS: that was odd :P
CARattler40_CS entered the room.
Taceas_CS: Got lagged to hell coming in here.
CARattler40_CS: Testing.
lefty_mussolini_CS: me too
Serpwidgets_CS: 1, 2, 3
CARattler40_CS: Heh.
jazzgeek_CS: wb Carlos who sucks at the internet where nothing happens
CARattler40_CS: LOL
CARattler40_CS: ty Dale.
Taceas_CS: So, I'm guessing we had some boa talk earlier?
CARattler40_CS: Of course.
Serpwidgets_CS: And leotards.
Taceas_CS: Usual suspects?
jazzgeek_CS: yeah
CARattler40_CS: Yup
Serpwidgets_CS: R_A and some other fauna person
jazzgeek_CS: 5 minutes to Wapner
CARattler40_CS: People who lacked the _CS at the end of their name.
Hurley_CS: Yeah
Taceas_CS: lol
lefty_mussolini_CS: did anyone see the guy the other day that asked what the most money any of us has sold a corn for?
CARattler40_CS: Yes.
Taceas_CS: No.
lefty_mussolini_CS: I told him Trundlefart Corn for 250,000
CARattler40_CS: I've seen the "what's the most expensive and popular corn morph nowadays?" question a million times.
Serpwidgets_CS: Heh, did everyone say 5 dorrar?
Hurley_CS: One hundred BILLION dollars.
Taceas_CS:
Taceas_CS: And agreed Carlos...I've seen it enough times already this year.
Candy_Cane1_CS: Hurley_CS: Is that rasom money?
jazzgeek_CS: I've got some het Trundlefarts that I'm gonna be selling cheap.
clarinet45 entered the room.
lefty_mussolini_CS: he said "I doubt that"
Serpwidgets_CS: LOL
CARattler40_CS: I'm getting sick of this lag.
clarinet45: why can't we talk about boas?
Serpwidgets_CS: Wasn't that a card game?
CARattler40_CS: 'cause Boas suck.
Daeraelle_CS has left the room.
Candy_Cane1_CS: Im not lagging at all o-o;
clarinet45: lol
lefty_mussolini_CS: and I said "I SWARE REED ABOWT IT IN TEH KATY MANULA!!!11"
clarinet45: what about beardies?
Taceas_CS: Preferrably not.
clarinet45: what about balls?
lefty_mussolini_CS: and then he left
CARattler40_CS: Balls suck.
Taceas_CS: What about the lobby?
Fenderplayer108_CS: lol lets go to the cornsnake forum to talk about boas
CARattler40_CS: #
lefty_mussolini_CS: Suck Balls?
clarinet45: is that why you don't have any? lol
Candy_Cane1_CS: XD
jazzgeek_CS: http://www.cafepress.com/cronsankes.72820826 <--------- I love this. I want this.
Serpwidgets_CS: BUUUUUURN!
clarinet45: this is the 'no tards' room, not the cornsnake room
CARattler40_CS: Why are you here then, Sara?
clarinet45: why are you so uptight about the cornsnake room anyway?
lefty_mussolini_CS: No Tards... sponsored by Corn Snakes
CARattler40_CS: Hey I think it's raining.
Taceas_CS: Because we don't like snobs.
jazzgeek_CS: why do you presume we're uptight?
Fenderplayer108_CS has left the room.
Taceas_CS: If you don't like it, you can leave the same way you came in.
clarinet45: cause i get a ton of ppl in the lobby telling me about this bitch Taceas that puts them down for being in the cornsnake room
Daeraelle_CS entered the room.
lefty_mussolini_CS: the Cron Sankes shirt is RAD
jazzgeek_CS: and when was the last time you heard someone say "uptight"? I think it was Season 2, episode 5 of "The Mod Squad" for me.
clarinet45: lol
Serpwidgets_CS: Dude if you came in here to fight with someone, you can go elsewhere.
CARattler40_CS: srsly.
clarinet45: i'm not fighting
lefty_mussolini_CS: buleeted?
clarinet45: i come in to talk to ppl and i get &*!@ing attacked
jazzgeek_CS: no, you're not fighting. You're just being a cunt.
Taceas_CS: So get the feck out.
lefty_mussolini_CS: delteeded?
CARattler40_CS: Attacked?
clarinet45: you're a cunt
CARattler40_CS: "Y CANT WE TALK ABOUT BOAS??//"
Serpwidgets_CS: Srsly
clarinet45: ah, i was being sarcastic?
jazzgeek_CS: Great retort. The Pee-Wee Herman School of Debate.
Taceas_CS: lol
Candy_Cane1_CS: LOL
jazzgeek_CS: "I know you are, but what am I?"
Serpwidgets_CS: And you really need to ask now why we created our own room?
clarinet45: or is this the no-humor room?
CARattler40_CS: Yeah, we have no humor.
lefty_mussolini_CS: Mommy... Daddy... stop fighting
CARattler40_CS: Jokes? What are those?
clarinet45: thought so
clarinet45 has left the room.
CARattler40_CS: #
Serpwidgets_CS: Srsly
Serpwidgets_CS: What a dick.
Candy_Cane1_CS: Yeah.
jazzgeek_CS: Mommy and Daddy fight because you cry too much.
Serpwidgets_CS: No wonder she's on Fauna.
lefty_mussolini_CS: ROFL
CARattler40_CS: Dunno what her problem is, she was alright most of the time.
Candy_Cane1_CS: LOL
CARattler40_CS: was
Serpwidgets_CS: Ya, was.
Taceas_CS: She was alright till she called me names for giving away my mean beardie.
Taceas_CS: A few months back
Serpwidgets_CS: WHY CAN'T WE TALK ABOUT BOAS?
And my reply:
Quote:

To: Misty Lundberg
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2006 8:37 PM
Subject: Re: Ban me? =P

Well, that display certainly gives me reason to think I should just take away the chat room from everyone. I see about 4 people I could ban right off the bat from how they were acting there. Makes me feel that I am maintaining a public nuisance with the chat rooms.

Rich Zuchowski
So please, show me where I was rude, as you have pointedly accused me of doing.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:17 PM   #43
gwb8568
sounds to me like closing the chat room for a while is going to be your best option to prove your point........it is YOUR forum. there are some of us (myself included) that do help out with the yearly membership, but it's obvious not everyone can be held responsible for the jr. high crap that goes on. and if you have to do something as drastic as that to get your message across, then maybe a lesson will be learned. it's pretty sad that the majority of the members that are apart of this website are grown adults, but yet some still act like their at a 5th grade recess fight.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:37 PM   #44
JM :o)
Excuse me.....Please don't suggest he shut off Chat. There is a whole room full of people there right now behaving. Why do you want Chat shut down? You don't like it so no one else should?

Rich~ Please leave chat exactly where and how it is.
Thanks

Old 09-11-2006, 11:03 PM   #45
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
Dude, you don't type a two line response in 5 seconds. He was typing that well before I started my gtfo. Too bad chat logs aren't slapped with a time stamp, because responses between that was very short.
You can if you're a good typer and talk in chat speak . . . another complaint against the non-cornsnake people . . .

How about the other questions/comments I directed your way? Very convenient you ignored all of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt80
. . . and you're NOT acting like you own the place?!

From Joe_jo's second question about tortoises, he got told this is CORN SNAKE chat. (Funny, just after entering the room someone got called a butthead didn't know that was corn snakey). Got asked if this looked like a tortoise chat room. Got told they have shells (DUH!). Got told they swim (WRONG.). Got mocked with "dis is da cron sankie chat room" and then told to gtfo. All of this BEFORE his SPAZ session . . . Interesting.

What's it mean when you're already in the place and act like an ass?! That's a more important question and one I think Rich is asking us to think about. Am I defending this guy? Nope. But I don't condone the reaction that he received neither. I guess if you want to talk Lesser Of Two Evils, yeah fine, but that doesn't remove the Classless way he was treated either.

Walk away! Corn Chat doesn't define you as a person does it?! Srsly?!

Thanks for more ammunition . . . not a good example . . .

Clarinet comes into a private chat room . . . how'd she get in there if it was private? Aren't private chat rooms password blocked? If not, then they're not private! DUH! But I digress . . . SO, Clarinet comes into private chat and the first words out of her mouth are:
clarinet45: why can't we talk about boas?
The answer she was give . . . ?
CARattler40_CS: 'cause Boas suck.
CLASSY!!

I've been in chat, I enjoy going into chat when my schedule allows, I love venting in chat, I love conversations in chat, I love the people in chat, I love the debates in chat . . . There is no way I can love nor defend the language and behavior that is displayed towards Non-CS members that are Off-topic. Srsly . . . Yes, it's High School.

D80
D80

Old 09-11-2006, 11:04 PM   #46
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol
I'm really surprised the topic of the "Ignore" button has not come back up since Rich mentioned it. Exactly what is so painful about using it when someone's in there talking about something you don't want to hear?
"They" don't want to miss the fun nor the chance to berate someone entering the room . . .

D80

Old 09-11-2006, 11:13 PM   #47
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taceas
Agreeing with Joe for once, yes I'll note this in my diary, people are only seeing what they want to see here. People aren't seeing chat as it is day in and day out. They aren't seeing the commraderie and fun we have in there before the idiots from Fauna come over. They're only seeing members of CS chat being rude and offensive. That's their choice I guess.

For those of you saying that chat is a clique, but yet I never recall ever seeing you there, how can you know what something is unless you actively participate or even try to participate?
Agree with most of what you posted Taceas, and you know I tend to respect your opinion, etc. etc. etc. While Joejr (and a few others) are 'screaming' that it's Joe_jo's fault, there is absolutely no way, 100% you can condone the behavior of the CS.com members in the chat logs that have been posted. The behavior is elitist, cliquey, and condescending. Period. When everyone is pointing their finger at everyone else, there are three pointing back at yourself! Jazzgeek recognizes that, I recognize that (I tend to engage Vinman in arguments - right or wrong), either way, the behavior is neither warm nor welcoming towards others joining chat. Jazz has already touched on that I believe.

I just hope we don't lose the benefit of having chat available.
And, I repeat my question to everyone . . . Does chat define who you are as a person?! Srsly!? (No, it doesn't, but your behavior in chat does!!)
D80

Old 09-11-2006, 11:26 PM   #48
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by hana
A long, long time ago, a person popped up in chat and asked in a very juvenile way if anyone kept crested geckos. I said I did, and then was badgered for a solid hour about the most basic husbandry issues. I repeatedly told said person to read a few care sheets. That didn't work. More badgering. I told said person to leave me alone to no avail. So, I put the person on ignore.
Am I the only one who sees how this might cause the tempers otherwise mild mannered people to flair up? Perhaps I am, but to tell everyone they just have to get along because 'I said so', isn't going to work.
Now, I'm not saying we don't get out of hand from time to time, but you can only bat the fly away so many times before you want to slap it.
hana
Kudo's to you hana! The description you gave is light years away from how others get treated in CS_chat. I think that's what Rich is referring to. Nowhere in your story did I see "gtfo" 10 lines after a question being asked. Oh, and wonderful use of the ignore button! I give your post a 9.8!!

Interestingly enough, all these ego's with all this knowledge we profess to hold, yet noone wants to help anyone because it's interupting our chat time. "But they're so rude D80! And they talk funny." . . . who's the adult in the situation? Srsly?! Reading through the chat logs that Rich has posted . . . man, I feel sorry for him having to 'deal with this' and would not blame him one bit for closing down chat for a while.

D80

PS. You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to hana again.

PPS. Unless Joejr has some profound "Dude" response for me, I don't think I have too much to add to the conversation and will proceed to step down of my high horse and/or soap box.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:44 PM   #49
Joejr14
Quote:
You can if you're a good typer and talk in chat speak . . . another complaint against the non-cornsnake people . . .

How about the other questions/comments I directed your way? Very convenient you ignored all of them.

D80
After this I am done. I debated even answering these questions because it is very evident that some of you just don't "get it" and quite frankly, it's pretty sad.

Anyway...

Read that chat log again, Brent. Do you find it interesting that he came in, asked about torts---didn't get a response. Asked again---and got a reply---and then he went off immediately?

I direct you towards one of his lovely off-color comments:

Quote:
Joe_Jo: U GUYS ARE ASS HOLES. NO ONE ELSE IS ON AND I HAVE A SIMPLE QUESTION. U GUYS DONT GIVE N E ONE A CHANCE TO ASK QUESTIONS. UR %&*!ING RETARDS WHO THINK UR SO COOL WITH UR _CS AT THE END OF YOUR NAMES.
Quote:
Joe_Jo: IT STANDS FOR COCK SUCKERS
Okay, if you're 'new' to the boards, do you really notice the _CS at the end of the user names? He thought of that pretty quick, don't you think?

Mind you, this was after he rudely entered the chat room with this:

Quote:
Joe_Jo: does n e one know n e thing about tortoises
Not once, but twice, and within a few seconds. Obviously a copy and paste job, IMO.

Where am I going? Imo, this was a kid who was bored---had heard we don't like it when the boa folk come and ruin our chat, and decided to be a wise-ass. This was a setup, not a legit person asking a legit question. This guy wanted to be a pain in the ass---have us freak out, and then cuss us out.

Now, since I know you're going to say, "well maybe he was serious, so you should have answered him". Alright, fair enough.

If this was SUCH a pressing issue that he had to come into the chatroom and interrupt a conversation, then after all our horrible rudeness did he not go back to Fauna and make a post asking for help?

In fact, of this guys 46 posts on Fauna, not ONE is about torts.

Be my guest and look: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...p?userid=31690

Most of his posts are in for sale/wanted forums replying to random threads saying he wants those snakes and wants to know how much. Be my guest and read the threads.

Furthermore, what in your right mind would lead you to believe that going into a CORNSNAKE chatroom is going to help you answer a question about a friggin tort?!?!

Why should we have to walk away? You know what Brent, I'm tired of walking away. We've had to do that crap ever since Egg, Connie, Serp and I would sit in chat 2 years ago to get people into the room. Whether it be the boa guys coming in and taking over the chat, or this crap with the trolls, I am damn tired of ignoring people, making a new room, having to boot people, etc etc. Maybe that's wrong, but I'm just tired of doing it. Why can't people have one single shed of decency? It's a real pain to put someone on ignore, and then have them leave and come back over and over again----each time having to put them on ignore. If the chat had a global ignore that would save your options....sure.

Another thing----when you have a troll on ignore and certain members that participate in chat keep talking to said troll---it makes things VERY confusing. While they might think it's cute to play with the troll, it really screws up the flow of the room. And IMO, we shouldn't have to run away from trolls---that's ridiculous.

As for the 'private room' bit....what does it matter if it had a password or not? Obviously, that's what we need to do from now on. However, in this situation this person came into regular chat---harassed people. Everyone left---she followed. Again---why should we have to run? When did it become a rule that we had to talk to everyone? If your sole purpose of coming into CS chat is to piss people off, I have zero sympathy for how you're treated. And that is what these people are doing---getting bored and coming in to piss people off---and it works.

Again, it is NOT about off topic discussion. Why can't you guys get that through your head. It is about how it is done and the way you present yourself.

And Brent, you've been in chat on more than one occasion when something like this has happened and you've done the exact same things we have done, so do not get this 'holier than thou' nonsense---it's absolute garbage. I dont know what your problem is, but it sure seems that you're just interesting in 'fighting' and 'winning a debate', regardless of the actual merit of the debate.

Hey, maybe next time I'm walking down the street and see a group of people talking, I'll walk up and interrupt them and ruin their conversation with some cornsnake chat. I bet they'd like that, don't you think? Come on folks, those people would tell me to STFU, they wouldn't "listen to what I had to say" because what I had just done was extremely rude----to the point that it's hardly ever done in the real world. I have no idea when this became accpetable online.

One final comment: I've very disappointed with more than a few people that have responded to this thread---and participate in chat. You know who you are, so I'm not going to call anyone out---but for you folks to sit in chat and laugh at what is said to trolls, or to be in on the comments yourself---and then come here and scold us and tell us we're rude---SHAME on you.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:53 PM   #50
CARattler40
Quote:
Interestingly enough, all these ego's with all this knowledge we profess to hold, yet noone wants to help anyone because it's interupting our chat time. "But they're so rude D80!...
I would consider this a valid point if there were people actually requesting help in the chat room, because when someone finally does have a serious question, it usually gets answered rather quickly. But there is a huge difference between the every day newbie coming in to ask a snake question and some idiot going in there to literally demand answers (which can usually be found on Google). I think it's pretty much understood people will respond better when someone asks for help politely than when they go in there blasting and flooding for info about random species of animals many of us have never even dealt with.

I'm just sayin', your post makes it seem like people in chat are purposely withholding helpful info "2 b meen." I'm a nightly regular in Chat, and I've seen other regulars divulge genetics and care info plenty of times, as well as help when someone has a question about breeding mice, or even boid care (which, OH EM GEE, aren't corn snakes! ), and I'll even help out with husbandry questions when and if I can (I'm still learning a lot myself). I've learned a lot from watching the responses to such questions, and am glad I get to spend time in chat with such knowledgeable people night after night. We're not totally horrible people, whether this recent event makes it seem like the case or not.

And I really love how certain other people have found ways to twist this discussion every-which-way and make it into a debate over "cliques" and our treatment of "new" members. This is not about off-topic...ness. Maybe if these people bothered to spend even the smallest bit of time in Chat, they'd have some idea of what they were talking about.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread