CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Chat room - listen up, please
Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 08:55 AM   #61
hana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Kudo's to you hana! The description you gave is light years away from how others get treated in CS_chat. I think that's what Rich is referring to. Nowhere in your story did I see "gtfo" 10 lines after a question being asked. Oh, and wonderful use of the ignore button! I give your post a 9.8!!
Thank you, but I do think you've failed to realize the points Carlos made. They're very valid, but I can understand how they wouldn't be to someone who isn't a regular.

And no, you won't see me tell someone to 'gtfo' or what have you, but you will see me tell someone to 'run along' if I've had it with them. Also, I refuse to take someone seriously who only bothers to ask their questions like,"dos n e 1 no wht to fed a sank????!!!!????!!1111". Sorry, but if that's all the effort they're going to put into their questions, I have no time for them. Not even to mention the fact that I can't hardly read it properly enough to know what they're saying. If that makes me an elitist, fine. I'll not lose any sleep over it.

hana

Old 09-12-2006, 09:27 AM   #62
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by hana
Thank you, but I do think you've failed to realize the points Carlos made. They're very valid, but I can understand how they wouldn't be to someone who isn't a regular.
I'm sorry, but what exactly gives you that impression? These were my last responses to Carlos just last night . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt80
Agreed, and not arguing that point at all. I am arguing the representation that was made from CS.com members.

I do understand where you're coming from.

Ah, but this does tend to be the issue at hand quite often ("Use the search button for crying out loud!"), and this issue has an underlying stench of the same problem, trolls or not.

Agreed, but two problems . . .
Quote:
Also, I refuse to take someone seriously who only bothers to ask their questions like,"dos n e 1 no wht to fed a sank????!!!!????!!1111". Sorry, but if that's all the effort they're going to put into their questions, I have no time for them. Not even to mention the fact that I can't hardly read it properly enough to know what they're saying. If that makes me an elitist, fine. I'll not lose any sleep over it.
Right, and wouldn't attempt to argue that point. The point I am arguing (someone save me cause the Vinster made the same point ) is do they deserve the atrocious behavior that was displayed in the chat logs? Even my 'discussions' with the Vinman have not been that vile.

D80

Old 09-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #63
jenkva
My my, what a discussion!

From my guess, it all started because nobody replied to Joe_Jo with even “nope, don’t know anything” which would have been courteous and a simple way to answer.
I think the GTFO was premature and uncalled for at the time. As to what followed, Joe_Jo was being a tw@t and extremely rude. For the ones that kept on taking the p*ss out of him, that might have been amusing at the time but it wasn’t nice at all.

I do not Chat all the time but only sometimes and now less than before but not because of the Trolls / fauna / newbies / CS members / etc…

The things is, if you are not in Chat that much you might not know that this person is a regular / known Troll and you would think that the “welcome” is inappropriate to say the least.

A few months back there was a Troll called Lizardss (anyone remember?) and we (me included) did what packs (hey Jazz ) do to gang up and try to “flush” him out and even resorted to private chats. If someone would have come in before the private chats, he/she would have thought we were a bunch of stupid / rude / cruel people but we were just defending a nice / friendly / full of humour / pleasant / relaxing chat room.

My points being:
* it is better to even answer quickly to someone we suspect is a Troll.
* you cannot know what it is all about from one chat snipped
* don’t jump to conclusions and get defensive or offensive
* as said by someone else in this thread, do not Ass-U-Me ( it makes an Ass of U and Me )

Well, that’s me done, have a nice day all

Old 09-12-2006, 11:41 AM   #64
carol
So Ignore is bad because it makes a conversation that you don't wish to follow.... hard to follow?

I've been in there, I've seen it. There is no excuse for being that rude to someone because they are rude. It kind of corresponds to what I'm trying to teach my 11 year old son right now. No one can control your actions, and two wrongs don't make a right. "I did this bad thing, but he did that bad thing", is not a justified defense.

I'm not lecturing, and I'm not saying my hands are clean. However, it's an act of maturity to recognize constructive criticism, and agree with it.

To me, it doesn't seem like Rich is suggesting you give all the trolls a big hug, just use a little diplomacy. The best way to get rid of a troll is to ignore them completely. Most of us only pick up parts of the conversation we are interested in chat anyway, and it's pretty easy to tell who is participating in the same conversation. I've used Ignore before, and it wasn't too difficult to tell when other people where engaging in the conversation I was interested in, and when they were talking to a troll.

One thing for sure, chat will never be the same for me knowing how many people save chat sessions. Not because I am afraid that I'm breaking any rules, but because a lot of times I will temper what I say according to who is in the room. I guess I will no longer be as naive to think what I say among "friends" will stay that way. Everything I type could be saved and shown to people I'm not as comfortable with. I guess I'll have to stick with PM's for that.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #65
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol
One thing for sure, chat will never be the same for me knowing how many people save chat sessions. Not because I am afraid that I'm breaking any rules, but because a lot of times I will temper what I say according to who is in the room. I guess I will no longer be as naive to think what I say among "friends" will stay that way. Everything I type could be saved and shown to people I'm not as comfortable with. I guess I'll have to stick with PM's for that.
Yep. This is the biggest lesson I've gleaned from this debacle as well.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #66
Vinman
Quote:
So Ignore is bad because it makes a conversation that you don't wish to follow.... hard to follow?

I've been in there, I've seen it. There is no excuse for being that rude to someone because they are rude. It kind of corresponds to what I'm trying to teach my 11 year old son right now. No one can control your actions, and two wrongs don't make a right. "I did this bad thing, but he did that bad thing", is not a justified defense.

I'm not lecturing, and I'm not saying my hands are clean. However, it's an act of maturity to recognize constructive criticism, and agree with it.

To me, it doesn't seem like Rich is suggesting you give all the trolls a big hug, just use a little diplomacy. The best way to get rid of a troll is to ignore them completely. Most of us only pick up parts of the conversation we are interested in chat anyway, and it's pretty easy to tell who is participating in the same conversation. I've used Ignore before, and it wasn't too difficult to tell when other people where engaging in the conversation I was interested in, and when they were talking to a troll.

carol they can still copy and paste your PM and send it in a emal to them selfs or just move it to a folder

Old 09-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #67
carol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman
carol they can still copy and paste your PM and send it in a emal to them selfs or just move it to a folder
Yes, but by now I think I have a pretty good idea of who would do that and who wouldn't.

One other thing I failed to mention.... The ONLY time Ignore was inconvenient was when I (in my sick terrible own way) was being entertained by how others were corresponding with a troll. I never took someone "off" of Ignore because I had problems understanding who was talking to who. I've taken them off because sometimes I find it funny to watch. So there's my dark secret, I have a feeling I'm not alone. A lot of us are "guilty by association". Maybe there's another lesson for me. I shouldn't sit back and be entertained by something and then feel innocent because "I'd never say that."

Frankly, Rich brought up valid points that I never thought of before. Then again the example he posted is a bit more harsh than what I'm used to seeing. I've also been in chat many times when a troll was dealt with appropriately and everyone was very respectful. I don't think it's a difficult thing to ask that we don't stoop to the trolls level.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:31 PM   #68
CornCrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol
So there's my dark secret, I have a feeling I'm not alone. A lot of us are "guilty by association". Maybe there's another lesson for me. I shouldn't sit back and be entertained by something and then feel innocent because "I'd never say that."
I guess I sort of fit into this category, as well. As soon as things started to get rough, I backed out. I wanted no part of it and would not have said anything that rude to anyone. I have on occasion, however, laughed at some of the things that have been said. I was wrong for doing that...

Great point Carol. If I could give you some rep points, I would.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:06 PM   #69
jenkva
Quote:
Frankly, Rich brought up valid points that I never thought of before. Then again the example he posted is a bit more harsh than what I'm used to seeing. I've also been in chat many times when a troll was dealt with appropriately and everyone was very respectful. I don't think it's a difficult thing to ask that we don't stoop to the trolls level.
You can deal with a Troll and stay polite, that is very true and this is what I do, I do not find it justify to insult or call people names.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:32 PM   #70
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Well, honestly folks, if I continue to hear people on this site refer to those "Fauna People" in such a condescending manner, then obviously I need to take down the bridge that connects these two sites. Need I remind you that the chat was installed originally for the FaunaClassifieds site, and I only had this site tied into that chat system because a lot of you ASKED for a chat? If I take down the bridge, who do you think is going to be on the wrong side of that chasm?

Seriously, from the amount of rancor it is causing and exposing an obvious conflict between the two sites, is it really in my best interests to have this mud wrestling arena at all? I'll tell you what, I am SERIOUSLY considering just pulling the plug on the chat and being done with it. Obviously some people here cannot handle a real time online conversation such as the chat provides, and I certainly can do well enough without this sort of OPTIONAL aggravation.
I said I was done posting on this thread, but I just really wanted to comment on two things.

First off, we have no problem with 'the Fauna people' in general. It just happens to be that ALL of the trolls are FROM Fauna. I mean---what else are we supposed to refer to them as? I don't believe we've ever emailed you a chat log about someone trolling the room with a _CS moniker.

If you take down chat, everyone suffers, not just us. Connie, Serp, Egg and myself started the whole 'chatness' after it was put up 2 years ago. We would sit in the chat room all day so that it would show up top that people were in chat. It worked---chat is always busy every single night. Unfortunately, it worked too well. People from Fauna would come in, see nobody in the lobby but 15 people in the cornsnakes room and would jump right in wanting/demanding to talk about boas, leopard geckos, bearded dragons, etc. I really don't see how that is acceptable behavior. To expect an entire room of people to instantly stop what they are talking about to listen/discuss what you want to talk about is juvenile at best. Just last night, someone came in from Fauna, posted a link to his bearded dragon for sale, and left. Imo, that's spamming. Maybe nobody else considers it that, I don't know.

This really bothers me, though.

Quote:
Obviously some people here cannot handle a real time online conversation such as the chat provides, and I certainly can do well enough without this sort of OPTIONAL aggravation.
We've handled it perfectly fine for what, 2 years? Sure, we've sent you chat logs when people have been flat out spamming or been trolling, because you have asked us to. Normally the problem is handled and the situation is cleared up. For some reason, there seem to be certain times of the year when spamming and trolling is at it's peak---maybe now is one of those times, I don't know.

I apologize for saying 'gtfo' out to Joe_Jo, but I'm not sorry for saying it. Maybe we jumped the gun, and maybe his question was for real---but I highly doubt it. I've been in that chat room for a VERY long time and it's pretty easy to ID a troll when they come in, but for those of you who think that my words have somehow affected this site, you personally, or your reputation as a _CS user, I apologize.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread