• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Moderator(s) needed here....

Status
Not open for further replies.
DAND said:
I know Rich was being asked his outlook and in no way am I attempting to answer for him. This is MY (no, I'm not yelling, just being specific) opinion of the thread:

Post #2
wat ^ welcom 2 the site. i dont liv in de moins, so i cnt help. but good luk

Post #4
I've got a dictionary for under $25.

Post #17
[in response to] plush was dose a dictionary for under 25$ mean 2 me. its just a book. i dont need a book.01-19-2007 08:58 PM

Are you sure about that?

Post #18
Comprehensive Guide to Corn Snakes VS A Dictionary? I'm not sure which one would benefit more in this case.

Post #29
Chat-Speak is not normally received well here. ( and by the way I'm 14, spell check really help if you do not know how to spell a word.)

Post #31
Books and yourself obviously DON'T get along Shame

Unfortunately the FAQ and search features will not take kindly to bad spelling and words that don't exist

No matter how much you don't like dictionary's or use your age as an excuse for the way you present yourself, the spell check button takes such little effort to clicky and correcty!

Post #35
I'm glad your learning And you wont go wrong with the "Katy Manula"

Post #38
First of all, PLEASE take the time to spell out your words,

Post #39
[in response to]whos Kate Manula. give me the link to her site if u have it plz.
:headbang:

Post #44
e_c_l: Owhay annoyingway isway itway orfay ouyay otay avehay otay
anslatetray isthay? Owhay eriouslysay ouldway ouyay aketay
omeonesay owhay otewray isthay ayway?

Your chat-speak is equally annoying. You won't be taken seriously here until you start writing in real English...

Post #50
First there was reptile addict then Jizzyfizzie now E_C_L......just kidding,...

Post #51
So if you enjoy presenting your thoughts as a six-year old might, go ahead... we'll continue laughing at you.

Post #54
It makes me sad that you'd want to appear stupid when you are not.

Followed by numerous posts pertaining to the release of bodily fluids from a number of members.

Post #88
FYI, snakes would be VENOMOUS, not POISONOUS.

Then some more posts about the release of bodily fluids.

Then the progression to the discussion of "tone".

Then the original poster returns with some colorful language and hostility.

Now, somewhere in this thread I had said something about persons not liking to be corrected. This person came here wanting to get a pair of corns but was given more information about spell check then corn snakes. A lot of what went on within this thread was either not necessary or could have been done via PM and not publicly.

I saw the original post before anyone had replied and I chose not to reply until something was said about auction sites. My response was taken well as were a few others, while the majority were not.

About the 'bodily fluids,' that was a bit of banter. Did you find this offensive? :shrugs:

Roy Munson said:
To be honest David, based on the posts you flagged, this would be a very dull place if you become a mod here. I don't disagree with you on most of the posts you've flagged, but you're way off base on some of them. I employ a "bad Roy, good Dean" method when dealing with people like the original poster of that thread. I think she and I ended things on the right note as far as our interaction was concerned. I won't apologize for my posts. But when I say you're off base, I'm really not referring to the posts of mine that you flagged.

Dean,

I was not picking out just one person, post or placing blame. I was trying to show a shortened progression of the way the thread went and a few highlights.

Roy Munson said:
I really can't see what is wrong with the following posts. I think you'd have to be a real nazi-mod (that's nazi with a lowercase "n") to confront these posters for these words. The o.p. was beligerent from very early on in the thread. Why? Because she was asked to post coherently. Big deal. I think she deserved MOST of the abuse. Heck, she ASKED for it.

Dean,

The point I was trying to make with the posts you are placing under the "nazi-mod" umbrella was the amount of times the same thing had already been said previously in the thread. 29 and 38 posts into the thread saying the same thing over and over when it is obviously not being well received was what I was trying to bring to light.

Post 88 in my opinion could have been done via PM and not in the already unstable thread. As I have said before, most people don't like being corrected, and to have it done out in the open bothers some even more.

I have to disagree with the last two sentences bolded above. NOBODY deserves to abused here. I believe that it is the abuse that Rich is looking to stop.

Susan and Mbdorfer

Both seem very even handed to me
~ too heavy a hand in moderation will kill all the "play" that often crops up in a board. Too light and the lunatics are running the asylum.

Even handed
Susan and Mbdorfer get my votes

DAND said:
Dean,

I was not picking out just one person, post or placing blame. I was trying to show a shortened progression of the way the thread went and a few highlights.
Well, I'll admit that that's a little different. If your post was a synopsis, then I don't have a real problem with it.

Dean,

The point I was trying to make with the posts you are placing under the "nazi-mod" umbrella was the amount of times the same thing had already been said previously in the thread. 29 and 38 posts into the thread saying the same thing over and over when it is obviously not being well received was what I was trying to bring to light.
Considering the attitude of the o.p., I guess I'm still not that concerned with how well she received anything. I'll admit that I have very little tolerance for snotty kids, especially when they are directing their snottiness at adults. When I was a kid, you'd get your a$$ kicked for this (literally or figuratively). If I talked crap to my mother or another adult in her presence, she wouldn't physically abuse me. She'd verbally put me in my place in such a way that I'd think two or three times before repeating the error. Humiliation is a powerful corrective tool.

Post 88 in my opinion could have been done via PM and not in the already unstable thread. As I have said before, most people don't like being corrected, and to have it done out in the open bothers some even more.
Post 88 was educational. There was nothing wrong with it at all. If you don't like being corrected, then don't present incorrect information on a public discussion board.

I have to disagree with the last two sentences bolded above. NOBODY deserves to abused here. I believe that it is the abuse that Rich is looking to stop.
Maybe I used the wrong word. Abuse implies an overly harsh, undeserved response. That snotty kid deserved everything she got. In the end, she even attacked her defenders. We don't need her kind here anyway. If others drove her away, I commend them. Maybe this makes me a poor candidate for modship. :shrugs:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MohrSnakes again.

Yep.

On another point, I understand it is important to be welcoming to newbies but it is also difficult when I know my son could have composed a better post when he was 6 years old. If they aren't going to put any thought into their post, neither am I. It was tempting to mention that in the original thread, but I resisted.

With the newer generations, there's a change in the misconception that all snakes are evil. Just go to a show and you'll see the children outnumber the adults by quite a bit, many dragging reluctant parents around to tables. This forum will, (and does), attract a lot of these kids. These kids need advise their parents can't give. Guess what? Now we need surrogate parents to watch over the children, and those that act like it.... :rolleyes:
I went to read that thread, and like most multiple page threads, another train wreck in action. Most of these threads leave me feeling sorry for the original poster...
This multi page thread... same... the debate is supposed to be over moderators, not explaining ones actions in the thread mentioned...
I believe there are a few good choices in the group, (who've been mentioned), and I'll be happy to vote for them. They also happen to be parents themselves...

snake5007 said:
Sorry, i'm a bit late here. My three choices for moderators would be Dean, tyflier and mbdorfer. :)

Oops! I really should have put jazzgeek on this list, too. :cheers:

Rich Z said:
All things considered, especially recalling a recent event where I posted evidence of a chat room situation I wanted to end, I would prefer to not go down that avenue again. The thread I indicated in the opening post for this thread has a number of issues, which I hope most people who would consider the position of moderator would be readily cognizant of.
(...)
Thanks.

Well, this suggests a motive other than time for Rich hiring moderators.

Plus, I imagine I should keep in mind Rich's sympathy for some of these people that get castigated when picking our new overlords.

-Sean

I can't believe I just see this but I have to say
after reading the other thread I found it appalling the
way a 14 year old boy was treated.
There's been a lot on the news here
in the U.K lately about bullying.Are we
just starting to see another type crawl to the surface.
Are forum not about us all learning about are much loved
hobby and if the lad had to be explained something
that might embarrass them could it not have been done in a PM.

Good call Rich and I think it will help stop this.

Unfortunantly, getting mods from inside CS might not have the desired effect.. I have an understandable idea of what to expect, and I really think it is not going to be pretty..

Thank you guys for not nominating me. I would have declined the opportunity anyways. Being a former doorman does not help eithier.. :cool: Will I vote in the mod contest? Not likely, as we should be able to police our selfs and be responsible for our actions and reactions period.. In all honesty, there are some people on that list IMHO that would make decent mods, then there is others I just shake my head over because of their expressed opinions and additudes ( looks in the mirror, this is one reason why I would not want a mod position ).. OMG, I think I am agreeing with JoeJr, ah well that happens from time to time.. *lol* j/k Joe... :cheers:

Choose wisely and carefully..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

TandJ said:
Unfortunantly, getting mods from inside CS might not have the desired effect.. I have an understandable idea of what to expect, and I really think it is not going to be pretty.
I think I may have to respectfully disagree . . .
A. If we are able to police ourselves, then the mods that are chosen will have very little work to do.
B. If they are respected members of this community, and voted on "by the people, for the people", then reminders from them to us shouldn't cause a problem. We know what their job is, and if they have to say something to me, you, the next guy/girl, then it's for a reason (and the behavior should have been corrected already if A was followed).
C. New people to the forum will not know if they are from inside CS or not. Besides, what benefit would come from someone outside CS? They wouldn't know the community, would probably not recognize banter/chatter vs. negativity, etc. It would be similar to the hell that is raised in the "wife swap" TV shows. How can an outsider "run the family" so to speak when they don't know what the family is?
D. The only problem I could see is if those being corrected can't stand to take a second to step back and review their own behavior/comments. Something I think many of us around here have actually done over the past few months.
E. As an aside, something I tell my swimmers "If you go in thinking negative thoughts (practice, race, whatever) you'll more likely get negative results." I think that could apply here as well . . . :shrugs:

Just some thoughts,
D80

While I appreciate the consideration of being put on the list, and I do want this site to flourish (especially after recent events), I entertain no desire to be a mod here.

In the words of Groucho Marx, "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." :grin01:

regards,
jazz

Ok, i just really didn't want to add my 2 cents worth on this but here it is.
Personally, I don't do not think that mods should be picked by the members here. This will make it a popularity contest and who is favored. That isn't a mods job or why they become mods. They are here to keep an eye on the posts here and just police the really bad ones. All in all, i am not going to vote who the mods should be but will abstain instead. Its Rich's job to figure out who is trust worthy here and who isn't, after all its his site. I just visit here. Its a great site and that is why I keep on coming back and will keep on coming back.

jazzgeek said:
While I appreciate the consideration of being put on the list, and I do want this site to flourish (especially after recent events), I entertain no desire to be a mod here.
I added my name to the list for both of your reasons . . . I honestly hope I lose the "popularity contest", but IF noone else wants to be a mod, WHO will take on the charge to help get the site back to some semblence of normal?! :) It's obvious Rich can't necessarily do it all by himself, and is looking for help.

I recommended you (if you'd have accepted :) ) because I value your judgement and your determination that this site continues to thrive . . . but of course, an unwilling leader would be no leader at all, and I'm fine with that too!
D80

D80 mentioned the following..

A. If we are able to police ourselves, then the mods that are chosen will have very little work to do.

This is the way it should be... Unfortunantly, with the lack of responsibilty for ones sense of selfcontrol it has not worked out that way.. What ever happened to just saying enough is enough and walking away? :shrugs:

tricksterpup mentioned the following as well..

This will make it a popularity contest and who is favored.

Its a catch 22, in eithier case and not everyone will be happy.. I know, Dale is going to nab me for contridiction, but I don't care who is the mod for the most part. Will my feelings be hurt, no, eithier way there will be some sort of bias, but I think I can get over it, and move on, even if it results in me posting more or less..

Dale tossed out this one...

In the words of Groucho Marx, "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."

:cheers: I could not agree more, and I understand where your heading with this train of thought.. I am not here to babysit, nor am I here to win some popularity contest, nor amd I here to pucker up for some good butt kissing.. I certainly don't want people to ever think that of me or Jenn.. Independant, and open minded is our goal period..

Essentially, if I read a post and I don't like how the poster writes etc, I just don't answer..

Rich can choose who he wants to choose, on the list or not, if I take issue to his selection, I have the accord to make my way out or just suck it up and play as nice as I can.... Ah well..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Last edited:
CaptBogart said:
With the newer generations, there's a change in the misconception that all snakes are evil. Just go to a show and you'll see the children outnumber the adults by quite a bit, many dragging reluctant parents around to tables. This forum will, (and does), attract a lot of these kids. These kids need advise their parents can't give. Guess what? Now we need surrogate parents to watch over the children, and those that act like it.... :rolleyes:
I went to read that thread, and like most multiple page threads, another train wreck in action. Most of these threads leave me feeling sorry for the original poster...
This multi page thread... same... the debate is supposed to be over moderators, not explaining ones actions in the thread mentioned...
I believe there are a few good choices in the group, (who've been mentioned), and I'll be happy to vote for them. They also happen to be parents themselves...
I'm so glad I'm not the only one seeing this thread going down the same track as the one leading up to it!

Honestly, I'd like to see the mods on this website already be contributing members who have been here for quite a while.

Some of you may ask why?

Because contributing members feel enough for this website to kick $25 (or in some cases $75) a year to him. They have a vested interest in this website and the direction it takes. I'd also like it to be someone who has been here for a while---because they know what it was like a year ago when everything was fabulous and are less likely to decide one day that corns just aren't for them.

But that's just my $.02. Thankfully, there are a few choices up there that satisfy my requirements, so those folks will be getting my votes.

Joejr14 said:
Honestly, I'd like to see the mods on this website already be contributing members who have been here for quite a while.

Some of you may ask why?

Because contributing members feel enough for this website to kick $25 (or in some cases $75) a year to him. They have a vested interest in this website and the direction it takes. I'd also like it to be someone who has been here for a while---because they know what it was like a year ago when everything was fabulous and are less likely to decide one day that corns just aren't for them.

But that's just my $.02. Thankfully, there are a few choices up there that satisfy my requirements, so those folks will be getting my votes.

Joe; Why don't you be a mod?

I think you would make a good one for many reasons. You have been here for a long while, pretty much everyone on this forum knows you. You vest a interest in this forum, and I think thats what the mod spot needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back