CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Moderator(s) needed here....
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 04:01 AM   #41
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
At time that works while at others it doesn't. When I first started moderating over on Fauna I PM'ed a few individuals asking for them to tone it down. While some took the advice others did not. The same has happened when I have made the "friendly public reminder". Like Rich said, you'll have those who don't like being moderated. I've seen it in all types (i.e. male, female, young, old) of people even persons who you wouldn't think would have such a meltdown. Most people do not like being corrected. The thing is, there are rules for a reason. I said something along the lines of this over on Fauna;

You know you are supposed to stop at a stop sign. You feel that rule doesn't apply to you and you run the stop sign. You get T-boned and now you are going to complain. The same thing applies to posting here. Follow the rules and you will get to your destination, don't, and you may just find that your trip has been cut short.
Agreed....and I need to get the shiny thing to edit my post, because as soon as I hit submit, I realized that this will ALWAYS be a judgement call.

For blatant trolls - those who initiate an inane thread or those who log in just to spam us with the Samsung mp3 players they have up on Ebay - no warning is necessary. They're out.

But I think that "most people don't like being corrected" is too broad a brush. Many people, sure.,,,but not most, which implies "the majority".

And while I understand the stop sign analogy, I'd have to disagree with how applicable it is in a fluid and dynamic environment like a forum. There is NO "degree" of stopping. It's binary. You either stop, or you don't.

With forums, and the specific modes of what constitutes appropriate communication as set forth by site owners/admins, there's going to be a bit more latitude, as it's NOT "binary". There are layers of subtext, tone, style, and context that need to be comprehended and considered when rendering a decision about a communique.

Oft times, all one needs to do is to occasionally tell someone to "slow down" instead of stop, or "look both ways" before you cross the street.

And when those times are necessary, I'd like to see it first happen privately. If the party is too thin-skinned or belligerent, I'd have no problem with then taking it public.

regards,
jazz

Old 02-04-2007, 08:10 AM   #42
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgeek
Agreed....and I need to get the shiny thing to edit my post, because as soon as I hit submit, I realized that this will ALWAYS be a judgement call.
Agreed.

Quote:
For blatant trolls - those who initiate an inane thread or those who log in just to spam us with the Samsung mp3 players they have up on Ebay - no warning is necessary. They're out.

Quote:
But I think that "most people don't like being corrected" is too broad a brush. Many people, sure.,,,but not most, which implies "the majority".
Majority is what I was shooting for, but let me clarify. I wasn't speaking of (using a forum as an example) the whole membership. I was referring to the membership requiring the correction. I have found the majority of those corrected to react in a similar manner.

Quote:
And while I understand the stop sign analogy, I'd have to disagree with how applicable it is in a fluid and dynamic environment like a forum. There is NO "degree" of stopping. It's binary. You either stop, or you don't.

With forums, and the specific modes of what constitutes appropriate communication as set forth by site owners/admins, there's going to be a bit more latitude, as it's NOT "binary". There are layers of subtext, tone, style, and context that need to be comprehended and considered when rendering a decision about a communique.
Again judgment call. While one could say the car came to a complete stop another would disagree, while yet another may say it was close enough. Same thing could be applied to has "Jimmy" has adjusted his posting mannerisms towards "Mary"? Maybe interpretation is a better word?

Quote:
Oft times, all one needs to do is to occasionally tell someone to "slow down" instead of stop, or "look both ways" before you cross the street.

And when those times are necessary, I'd like to see it first happen privately. If the party is too thin-skinned or belligerent, I'd have no problem with then taking it public.

regards,
jazz
Again, I agree.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:11 AM   #43
Fenderplayer108
If you need any help, Im here all the time, could mod something lol.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #44
Dave123
Yea, I think Ryan would make a great mod.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:38 PM   #45
cka
Lot of good folks here who'd make a good mod...I'll volunteer, and also nominate Dean, Mike Blickendorff, Dale aka jazzgeek or Susan (she of the beautiful snakes in tree's pics) :*)

Old 02-04-2007, 12:45 PM   #46
Rich Z
Quote:
Well if my experience is any guide with the various sites I run, I would have to say that MOST do not appreciate being corrected in any fashion. I would say easily that it would be approximately 75 percent or more, once being reprimanded for ANYTHING, will respond back caustically or even get a permanent attitude over it. MOST do not even believe they have done anything outside of what they have a RIGHT to do.

Quote:

Yeah, it's more like a YIELD sign. Sometimes you have to stop cold, but most times you just have to ease into traffic taking care to see what everyone else is doing around you. The moderators (traffic cops) often have to make the determination of whether the inappropriate yielding may constitute reckless driving or not and respond accordingly.

Quote:

regards,
jazz
Well there are pros and cons to the decision of using a private correspondence over a private one in moderating. Moderation can be rather time consuming and after a while, telling different people the same thing over and over again will get old. Whereas sometimes a public reprimand will get a lot more mileage as other viewers will be able to learn from the incident what is appropriate and what is not. If ALL moderation takes place privately, it will be much more difficult for all members to learn what the tolerance level is for bending the rules of conduct, since they are not witness to the corrections attempted to be made by those who went before them.

Over on Fauna, the thorniest issue is by some people pretty much demanding "consistency". Meaning that every infraction being treated the same. Which pretty much means that they expect every post to be read and evaluated mechanically. Which pretty much is highly impractical. All the moderators are people, and they will react differently to written phrases depending on their mood of the moment. That's even assuming that every post WILL be read, which is not very likely on a high traffic site. The ONLY rebuttal to such a claim is rather simple, however: As long as YOU take care not to violate the rules, then regardless of the moderator seeing your post, nor their particular mood, then you have no worries about being in violation REGARDLESS of what has happened to someone else. If in doubt, err on the side of caution in how you post. The exercise in how to have suitable discourse in a public medium will probably be a good learning experience for you anyway....

Old 02-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #47
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
All things considered, especially recalling a recent event where I posted evidence of a chat room situation I wanted to end, I would prefer to not go down that avenue again. The thread I indicated in the opening post for this thread has a number of issues, which I hope most people who would consider the position of moderator would be readily cognizant of. "Chat speak", while being a bit less than desired from members, is not really something that should be granted a penalty by a member using it. What concerns me is the heckling involved which can only most certainly spiral a thread into a level of discord that I think most of us would not want to see here...
I can't blame you for your reluctance to head down that road. I was really just looking for your general feeling about these things, and your reply provided that without going into specifics. Thanks. To clarify, I wasn't feeling out your thoughts on the "ban-ibility" of chat-speak etc.. As annoying as chat-speak and similar written laziness is to me, I don't think they're offenses worthy of temp-bans in and of themselves. I really wanted to know how you viewed members' attempts to correct this behavior. Your reply answered this for me.

I'm not going to add to the list of nominees, and since this isn't the poll thread, I'll refrain from re-listing those capable members who have already been mentioned.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:37 PM   #48
stangs13
I'm alittle late, Rich. But DaemoNox and Ryan, and Dean would make great mods!! I may be 14, but I have modderated on a few small sites... I will be up to the job if called upon. Even if it is a mod of the forsale section.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:38 PM   #49
stangs13
Might I also add that I meet all requirements. School will be the only hold back of any sort.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #50
DaemoNox
That and being grounded.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread