CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DIY: Two unit display viv for $100

Old 09-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #11
tricksterpup
Matt,
I just wanted to say I like your Rack System setup and I think I am going to give that a try.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #12
Chip
Hmm, I may have to try a modification of that. I've gotten away from using melamine because of the weight, but perhaps all pine and pegboard would work for a little more scratch. Roughly how heavy is that cage shown?

Old 09-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #13
Em Wright
I'll go ahead and reiterate my question, as it may have been lost on the previous page.

How would you go about properly heating this unit? Is there an area for an UTH to be slipped in, do you use heating strips or something of the like, etc?

Old 09-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #14
tom e
With the flex watt heat tape.. I use about a foot of 12 inch flex watt in each one. I had to shave down the clear portion at one of the side edges to make fit perfectly, (I think the measure of the viv is 11 3/4" or so) then I just taped it with that aluminum tape. I need to take it apart every now and then to clean it, but it really doesn't get that bad with a thick bed of aspen over it. That piece covers roughly a third of the unit, and I keep the water bowl on the opposite side.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:46 AM   #15
Blue Apple Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom e View Post
With the flex watt heat tape.. I use about a foot of 12 inch flex watt in each one. I had to shave down the clear portion at one of the side edges to make fit perfectly, (I think the measure of the viv is 11 3/4" or so) then I just taped it with that aluminum tape. I need to take it apart every now and then to clean it, but it really doesn't get that bad with a thick bed of aspen over it. That piece covers roughly a third of the unit, and I keep the water bowl on the opposite side.
I'll also add, that when I made mine, I insulated the connections with silicone so that they were water proof, just in case of a spilled water bowl.

One could also use radiant heat panels, though those would add some cost.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #16
Blue Apple Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrojo View Post
Hmm, I may have to try a modification of that. I've gotten away from using melamine because of the weight, but perhaps all pine and pegboard would work for a little more scratch. Roughly how heavy is that cage shown?
It's not that heavy. Two people can easily lift it. And one can easily slide it around to move it. Pine would work, you would just need to seal it or cover it in contact paper to protect the wood.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #17
tom e
Right! It's about as heavy as a quality peice of furniture in it's size. It don't feel Ikea by any means, but I'm able to move it on my own dragging and sliding it..

Old 09-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #18
TrpnBils
The only issue I would have with this is that there is no substrate dam in the front that I can see... when you open the doors, the substrate that got pushed towards the front would all fall out. Same with water spillage. To fix this, all you'd have to do is get a 2" tall strip of wood and silicone it in. The wood would keep the substrate from falling out, and the silicone would keep any water from running down the front of the viv. You'd also have an issue with water running out the back if they spilled it, so you could seal the bottom couple of inches there too.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:56 PM   #19
Susielea
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrpnBils View Post
The only issue I would have with this is that there is no substrate dam in the front that I can see... when you open the doors, the substrate that got pushed towards the front would all fall out. Same with water spillage. To fix this, all you'd have to do is get a 2" tall strip of wood and silicone it in. The wood would keep the substrate from falling out, and the silicone would keep any water from running down the front of the viv. You'd also have an issue with water running out the back if they spilled it, so you could seal the bottom couple of inches there too.
If you read the full plans in the linked thread in post #1, you can see there is a substrate dam, Matthew also says to use sealant on the joints, to prevent leakages and rotting wood etc.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #20
tom e
Yep there's a very high substrate dam on both units. You'd have to pile it about 3 inches deep to go past it...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google