CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Controversial Discussion: Direction of This Site

Old 12-11-2009, 07:00 AM   #61
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily1188 View Post
Perhaps "frivolous post reporting" could earn you an infraction? Reporting a post when there is no clear violation of the cite rules could be grounds for an infraction. I think that might make people think longer before hitting the button.
Actually, Rich has recently added a "blank" infraction where the mods can insert the reason for the infraction, and one for a frivolous reported post has already been issued to a member who was told to drop an issue, but continued on with it a few weeks later. I have a feeling that function is going to be used quite frequently.

And yes, the gray areas are the most difficult to moderate, especially in determining what is and isn't profanity. Yes, the mods have been inconsistent in that particular area over the past few years for a variety of reasons, up to and including having that rule further defined to us by Rich. And I still find myself in a quandary most of the time over this particular issue. I really wish we could have a list of what exactly is considered implied profanity. To me, if you can almost instinctively insert a profane word in place of whatever has been written and not lose any context, then it's implied profanity.

"WTF" has been mentioned and is one of several perfect examples. Am I implying profanity if I were to say "What the Hey?" My own children have a habit of saying "What the...?" when suddenly puzzled by something, and to me, they are implying "WTF" and I try to stop them.

If someone says "You need to keep your freaking mouth shut!", is that implied profanity? To some, "freaking" is NOT considered to be implying the "F bomb". I personally can't see how they can say that. Saying "That ride was freaking awesome!" implies the exact same thing to me as in my first example...it's the "F bomb". However, that particular word has been discussed in the past and deemed "not profane" by the majority, if my memory serves me correctly.

Now I need to get ready for work.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #62
wade
I’d like to make a suggestion. Someone has already mentioned consistency. I think that is really important. When rules are enforced inconsistently there are going to be hard feelings. I recently was given an infraction for something that I have done before and seen others do frequently. I was surprised and annoyed. I’m a big boy and will take my lumps, if I break the rule I expect to be slapped.

I think it would help if someone would clearly and specifically define what constitutes profanity. Put it in plane language and even make a list of the words. Don’t leave it open for interpretation. Don’t make it a judgement call. Black and White.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #63
desertanimal
We could start a profanity list thread in the "Discussions about this site" forum. We could vote on which words count as profanity and an infraction if you use them and which are ok. Then we'd have something to refer newbies to, as well.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #64
Tula_Montage
I don't know about anyone else, but I am extremely uncomfortable with the idea of voting on what words I am and am not allowed to use. Implied profanity is utterly down to interpretation and the context in which the word is used. In my opinion, if it is not CLEARLY implied, then it is not a big deal. For example f*&^k is clearly implied, where as freaking is not. It's an entirely separate word. I do not associate this word with the f word. I don't say what the freak, I don't say shut the freak up and I don't say freak off. I use it as an adjective where I feel is appropriate where no other adjective will work.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #65
coralife205
I know ive only belonged to this forum for less than 24 hours, but there is a few things i have to say what i notice thats differnt about this forum to others...

I belong to severl other forums on the web because I am one of thoughs hard-core-aquarist. I belong to forums such as, miapg.com theplantedtank.com , aquaticplantcentrial.com , simplydiscus.com... All of thoughs sites seem pretty layed back. of course they wont tolerate certain things, obvoius thigns, for good reasons... but, forgive me for saying this, this forum i get the sence that there is a certain...'controling-negative-too-strict atttude'. What led me to see this so far is just, well this very thread alone. and some other threads i was exploreing on here. it just seems... like high schoolish sort of. i hope to stay on this forum longer and like it better. but im only judgeing based on what ive sceen so far and compared it to other forums, hopefuly itel get better...

Old 12-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #66
desertanimal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I am extremely uncomfortable with the idea of voting on what words I am and am not allowed to use. Implied profanity is utterly down to interpretation and the context in which the word is used. In my opinion, if it is not CLEARLY implied, then it is not a big deal. For example f*&^k is clearly implied, where as freaking is not. It's an entirely separate word. I do not associate this word with the f word. I don't say what the freak, I don't say shut the freak up and I don't say freak off. I use it as an adjective where I feel is appropriate where no other adjective will work.
We can vote on words like freaking as well. I agree that freaking is not a curse word. And I don't are if you DO use it to imply the F bomb. Freak is freak and the other is the other. "What the . . ." can imply WTF or WTH. Or nothing at all. If I trail off, personally, it doesn't imply anything--I trailed off with my mouth because I trailed off in my head. Implication can't actually be definitively determined by the audience--only inference can. "What the . . ." has become it's own entity, as far as I'm concerned. In my house if the phrase is finished, it's often the 4-letter S word that's used--somewhat idiosyncratic perhaps. Anyway. I have no investment in it, but it doesn't seem fair that some people get infractions or warnings or whatever for some things and other people don't. That's always going to happen, but I'd be pretty irritated if I was warned or got an infraction for writing something I didn't think was a cussword just because someone else was having a bad day and reported me to a conservative mod who also happened to be having a bad day. I wouldn't be irritated, though, if the word had been deemed by the site members as profanity, regardless of my personal opinion about the word.

But as I said, it hasn't been an issue for me and until it is, I don't care if we have clearer cussword guidelines or not.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #67
wstphal
As far as cusswords are concerned, I think "freak" is fine, "darn" is fine, "drat" is fine, "goldarn" is fine. I am even OK with "f*&^" and "s&^%" but I realize they may offend others. "OMG" implies something that is a cussword to some as well, but we use it as an exclamation when a snake is gorgeous, and I think that's OK too. As in "OMG I need sunglasses that lava blood is so bright!" Spelling out the Anglo-Saxon monosyllables or other FCC banned words is NOT OK. I don't think we need to police our language to the point where we can't imply a cussword, just to the point where we don't use them.

I am comfortable with obeying stricter rules than that if the mods feel those rules are needed. As long as I know what the rules are and what the consequences of breaking them are, I'll obey them unless the issue is REALLY worth the consequences. I doubt that'll arise, but I will take my lumps if it does.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #68
Nanci
Since when is oh my God! spelled out a profanity? Thank God certainly isn't. I say it all the time. And mean it. If you don't believe in God, then I'm just a crazy person!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #69
bitsy
I think it's maybe a reference to the "taking the Lord's name in vain" aspect?

Not a concern for me, I have to say.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #70
Tula_Montage
Oh my god could be seen as blasphemous by some religious individuals ie taking the lords name in vein. That's fair enough. But the simple fact of the matter is it takes all sorts of people from many different religious, cultural and social background to comprise this forum.

I am someone who is not easily offended. Cuss words are deemed necessary if there is no other explanation, and the majority of the time if they are used or implied then it's for a damn good reason. People could just not use them, but sometimes there are just no other words for certain emotions. Cuss words are usually only said on a whim... I know I don't plan my sentences with as many swears as I can possibly include. On the Internet is it different, as you do have time to think about what you say or well type. But if you are someone like me who can type quicker than you can talk, and it seems like second nature, sometimes they slip out.

Back on track, the main reason they are frowned upon on cs.com is due to the fact we have very young members. I am sure seeing f*^& on here is mild compared to what some kids hear from their peers these days. The majority of us do not live sheltered lives, and I am not condoning the use of cuss words, but I am simply saying there are worse things out there than an F and a few Astrix's.

If there is going to be a punishment system, then it needs to be made clear what the crime is. HOWEVER I still disagree with there being a rule on what I can and can't say if it is not direct profanity. Implied profanity IMO should be clear as daylight before considering any sort of punishment. And if that is the case, then the individual will see no problem is taking the punishment, as it would be obvious to him or her and everyone else exactly what the word was.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google