CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

An Egg Turned Blue

Old 05-28-2004, 12:38 AM   #1
Sasheena
An Egg Turned Blue

ARGH! Why was it so easy last year, and so difficult this year?

Three clutches of eggs.....

Clutch 1... 10 eggs. ALL have big beautiful veins... but they all show signs of "moisture distress".... too much moisture... and four are white and fuzzy.... I have the lid off the cage for the substrate to dry out a bit. Anything else to do other than anti-fungus powder on the fuzzy eggs?

Clutch 2... started as 6 eggs, 6 slugs... now one of the "good" eggs is turning blue... right now it's just blue speckled, or rather patchy blue.... do I hold out hope, or do I pitch it so it won't corrupt the rest of the eggs? The rest of the eggs are showing good veins

Clutch 3... Started as 21 good eggs... one ruptured, the rest seem fine ... crossing my fingers on this one.

--------------------------------------------------------

Non-Corn Clutch #1: 12 eggs, two are blue, smelly and squirming with maggots (ARGH! What do I do????)... the rest seem fine... the bad eggs are attached to good ones.

Non-Corn Clutch #2: 15 eggs...the first one laid seems to be smelling bad... can't see any veins.

-------------------------------------------------------

Old 05-28-2004, 05:26 AM   #2
DAND
My suggestion it that anything that is blue or hairy to get rid of unless you are very close to hatching time. Other than that I'd get rid of the bad ones so that they don't cause the good ones to go bad too. I'd also change the medium because it could be bad also. Good luck.

Old 05-28-2004, 05:43 AM   #3
CornCrazy
For the bad ones that are attached to good ones, you can gently cut them away. It will leave a small portion of the bad egg, but you can then treat that with the anti-fungal powder.

Old 05-28-2004, 10:10 AM   #4
Sasheena
The white fuzzy ones DO have a strong network of veins. Perhaps I should take the worst bunch, which are in a clump of four eggs, and incubate them separately. I did have some eggs from last year (well one, anyway) which got fuzzy, but it hatched without a problem anyway.

The blue one... I cannot see anything even resembling a vein on it. I guess it goes in my "pitch it" category.

Jeeze I wish this was star-trek... I'd just have the doc run a tricorder over the eggs and treat them and then I'd have spiffy healthy eggs hatch. hehe

okay, so it's early in the mornin!

Thanks for the advice... on the non-corn clutches I DID in fact cut away the bad eggs... my heart was a-thumpin, but I did the deed, and I think saved the day... or the eggs.... or something like that.

Old 05-28-2004, 12:47 PM   #5
REG
What are you using as a incubating medium? REG

Old 05-28-2004, 01:25 PM   #6
Sasheena
Vermiculite

Haven't been able to find decent sphagnum moss around here, the stuff I am able to find starts to mold within days.

Next year I might try a no-substrate method and see if that works better.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google