CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Background sound

Old 09-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
crackerhead
Background sound

I'm getting odd background sound when I'm in Fauna or CS but no other program. I can't find anything wrong on my end. Is anyone else getting it? If so what is it?

Terri

Old 09-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Chip
I keep one of those tabs open so often that if it buzzes, I probably can't hear it anymore!

Old 09-05-2013, 03:08 AM   #3
Rich Z
Beats me. This is a new one.

I rarely have my speakers turned on, and then only when I am specifically expecting to hear something. Like watching YouTube videos.

Anyway, I know I don't have any audio running from anywhere on the sites.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
crackerhead
It's gone now but it was like intermittent voices as though the speaking voice from an ad was being cut off. It only happened in Fauna and CS. And once I left the site it stopped. I'm on a Mac but I ran a virus scan anyway, checked the audio, rebooted, checked all activity, set the tightest internet security settings and tried opening both sites in Safari and Firefox. Nothing was found on the scan and the other tries yielded nothing. I don't know what it was.
Thanks for the input though.

Terri

Old 09-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
rich333
Aliens .........

Old 09-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
dave partington
its usually in a flash ad, thru the google ads thingy.
Usually caused by 2 or more flash ads with sound, running at the same time on the same page.
If you are running google chrome, theres a wonderful addon/app/extension thingy that blocks all ads, third party tracking, etc, and in my experience, speeds up a LOT of web-surfing.
Here's the link
Also compatible with MAC Safari browser.
It's free.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...biglidom?hl=en

Old 09-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave partington View Post
its usually in a flash ad, thru the google ads thingy.
Usually caused by 2 or more flash ads with sound, running at the same time on the same page.
If you are running google chrome, theres a wonderful addon/app/extension thingy that blocks all ads, third party tracking, etc, and in my experience, speeds up a LOT of web-surfing.
Here's the link
Also compatible with MAC Safari browser.
It's free.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...biglidom?hl=en
That may be true. But since a lot of sites make their income from such ads, is blocking them really the best long term strategy for YOU if it causes the demise of those sites you like to frequent by cutting off their blood flow?

Old 09-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
dave partington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
That may be true. But since a lot of sites make their income from such ads, is blocking them really the best long term strategy for YOU if it causes the demise of those sites you like to frequent by cutting off their blood flow?
After having my old computer crash several times, because I'd rather spend my money on mice and cornsnakes then upgrade (blow bucks on the latest techno gadget of the day) --so with what I already own, it is a workaround path which suits my needs. If there is a better long term strategy I am open to it, all I need is to know about it.
But here's the kicker. On some sites (this one, fauna, vettes), the link that generates residual income is still active.
The ad sponsored by google is invisible, and the adyield.com or whatever third party click thru -info harvesting -cookies dumping into my computer site- (the site where the URL of the flash ad is physically located at, which is not on google.com) -- that place cannot put tracking cookies in my computer. But the link still works. And you still get the residual income.
So okay, now the ad is invisible, I can't see it.
So the drawback is that while I was never a clicker to follow the ads in the first place, having enough other things to toss money at, now, when I'm clicking on blank spaces, I'm opening more ads. But taking in fewer cookies to slow down my old computer.

It's almost like (or possibly is) that Google Allows the App to be available, through Google, as if Google is in business to make money and that free App (AdBlock) will benefit them, too, somehow. Why else would they allow it to be available?
On the major socio network site, which owns all the ads and ad spaces and stuff, AdBlock totally blocks out everything, so there are no invisible links, no links at all, no tracking cookies etc.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google