CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

How much longer is my snake likely to live?

Old 01-17-2019, 09:42 AM   #1
spartanica
How much longer is my snake likely to live?

I've had my corncake since 2006. He was very tiny when i first got him. I'm considering if i should buy another full load of jumbo mice shipped to my house.. i find the most economic way to feed my snake is to buy frozen mice online.. i buy in bulk to save costs.. I'm nervous that my snake may be nearing the end of his natural life span.. i still feed him once every 10 to 15 days.. i believe he has stopped being reproductively active since it has been about 2 years since he last went on a 3 or 5 month hunger strike... Anyone have knowledge about this? I know I've read in books before they live up to 15 years so i suppose i would just buy another full load.. what could i do with the Frozen jumbo mice if he did die before i use many of them?
Thanks...

Old 01-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
Twolunger
There's no way to predict the life span of an individual snake, but corns have lived for over 20 years. Last week I read that a guy's corn finally died after 29 years. I've heard of some over 20 but that was an old one. I wouldn't worry about the next bulk order, but you can always give them away on Craig's List.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
spartanica
As a reference.. i last bought 50 mice in November of 2016... So while i generally shoot to feed in the interval of 10-15 days.. i guess the reality is that my average rate of feeding is one mouse every 14.6 days...

Old 01-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #4
spartanica
Twolunger, thanks for your reply! that answers my question perfectly

Old 01-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
DeuceRon
I hope he continues to thrive for many more years!

Old 01-17-2019, 11:24 PM   #6
Shiari
I would purchase no more than a year's worth of mice at a time anyways as they do really start losing nutrients after that point.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google