CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

How long to air PAM treated aspen?

Old 02-03-2019, 04:52 PM   #1
KellC
Question How long to air PAM treated aspen?

So we’ve cleaned the tank and are spraying the aspen with Prevent a mite as a precaution against anything that has come in with the bedding.

How long should it air out before it’s safe? I tried to spray as directed 12 inches above, 1 sec per sq ft. I’ve seen some directions of 15 mins some 45.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:36 PM   #2
Twolunger
I think you are referring to Provent-A-Mite. I would wait at least an hour. However, unless you had a mite infestation and are being cautious, there is no need to treat aspen bedding. I have used it for over 30 years and never had any mites on my snakes. Mites typically need moisture, and aspen bedding is very dry. I have read of mites supposedly coming in on orchid bark but never on aspen. I did have tiny moths hatch out of an aspen bag once that I had in my garage with an open top. Apparently, moths in the garage needed a good place to lay eggs.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:55 PM   #3
KellC
Yes, that is what I was referencing. I had read some use it as a preventative. I’m quite new to all this.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:11 PM   #4
Twolunger
There's nothing wrong with wanting the best possible housing for your corn. Mites are certainly a menace that you don't want in your vivarium. But they aren't introduced by aspen bedding. New corns should be checked over carefully. I use a magnifying glass to check any new snakes I acquire.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #5
DeuceRon
Interesting thread. Haven't heard of P-A-M before. Glad I don't need it. I too use aspen for substrate, but do also use coconut sprinkled a bit on top for some forest looking covering.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google