CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

accidentally got 2 snakes

Old 03-25-2019, 07:58 PM   #11
Twolunger
I have never had young corn snakes eat another snake. I am sure it has happened to someone, so I would attempt to get one of the corns out of the tree hide. He may be hungry enough to come out eventually, but it may take a day or two. I would turn out the lights so their vivarium is completely in the dark, and check with a flashlight a couple times during the night to see if one is out moving around. I am not familiar with the hide, so don't want to make suggestions that are not appropriate to force one out, that may cause damage. Perhaps Dragonling has an idea?

Old 03-25-2019, 08:33 PM   #12
jckyeager
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
That is a greater heating differential than I set for mine. The default differential of my unit is only 2 degrees F, meaning if I set the temp for 85 and it drops to 83 the unit powers on.
If yours is adjustable I'd set it to 2 degrees. The menu code is DS1 on my unit. 80 degrees on top of the substrate is not too bad but I'd bump it up to between 82-84, unless the temp at the glass under the substrate is too hot. Corns do burrow under the substrate and I wouldn't want it hotter than 85 on the glass.

Don't expect the corns to leave the branch, especially the one going into a shed. It may be days before he sheds and comes out exploring. Then take the advice and seal that branch if you don't want him back in it.
should i wait to offer food until i can get them separated? he was due to eat on wednesday but just now shed and is still up there in the tree

Old 03-25-2019, 11:06 PM   #13
jckyeager
Quote:
I have never had young corn snakes eat another snake. I am sure it has happened to someone, so I would attempt to get one of the corns out of the tree hide. He may be hungry enough to come out eventually, but it may take a day or two. I would turn out the lights so their vivarium is completely in the dark, and check with a flashlight a couple times during the night to see if one is out moving around. I am not familiar with the hide, so don't want to make suggestions that are not appropriate to force one out, that may cause damage. Perhaps Dragonling has an idea?
they both came out and i took out the tree and put new hides in, he took the pinky out of tongs while in my hand and i’m pretty sure he wants another, but i watched him explore the whole thing for the first time since he was shedding when he got here and he really touched every inch of that thing with his nose. i’m still a little worried as he’s a little bigger and she might get eaten but the paint on my new enclosure needs to cure, unless getting them separated takes a priority?

Old 03-25-2019, 11:42 PM   #14
Twolunger
So far things are going well. He shed, they are out of the tree hide, now you can modify it. If you still have the container one of the corns came in you could put the small one in it temporarily until the paint dries. If not, any small container with a water cup will suffice, placed close to the warm end.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:19 PM   #15
jckyeager
Quote:
So far things are going well. He shed, they are out of the tree hide, now you can modify it. If you still have the container one of the corns came in you could put the small one in it temporarily until the paint dries. If not, any small container with a water cup will suffice, placed close to the warm end.
all is well, i set up a little plastic bin with a hide and water bowl and set the whole thing half on and half off of the heat mat in the bigger enclosure. both of them ate readily today and there’s no danger of one becoming food. as soon as my wooden enclosure’s paint cures i’ll get her into her new, more permanent home. one of my snakes is around 6-7 months old and eats 2 pinkies easily, do you think he could move up to a bigger meal or is he too young?

Old 03-26-2019, 09:02 PM   #16
Twolunger
Many of the members use a gram scale and weigh their snake, then refer to the Munson feeding chart. While I would say the 6-7 month old should have already been able to eat a fuzzy, a lot depends upon its size. I've raised so many corns I can just look at one and tell it's time to move up in size. I did buy a gram scale at WalMart to weigh corns I was selling. They are relatively inexpensive, may be $15-$20.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:19 PM   #17
jckyeager
Quote:
Many of the members use a gram scale and weigh their snake, then refer to the Munson feeding chart. While I would say the 6-7 month old should have already been able to eat a fuzzy, a lot depends upon its size. I've raised so many corns I can just look at one and tell it's time to move up in size. I did buy a gram scale at WalMart to weigh corns I was selling. They are relatively inexpensive, may be $15-$20.
I actually already have a scale here, i’ll throw them on after they digest today’s meal.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google