CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Corn snake photo section

Old 11-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
Jessicat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
It would be nice for people to find the references they need here rather than elsewhere.
I agree. Rather than Ian's Vivarium, I'd prefer to point people towards the Source because they have exactly what is being proposed. I know that's kind of a no no around here though.

I think this site could benefit from a sub forum with a thread for each morph.

There are a few rules over at the source in their morph ID section that really seem to keep things in order. If we implemented some simple guidelines hopefully that would keep the mods from needing to do a lot of extra work.

I understand if it turns out to be too much of an undertaking to add to this site, but I definitely would appreciate an addition.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
Nanci
It would be nice if you could pre-load it with morph IDs, so they could be in order. And nice if they had a naming standard, like lavender bloodred instead of plasma, etc. And I think it would be okay to have the pattern variations under the same morph.

One or two people add images? I think that would be a nightmare, as well as limiting interest.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
Susan
One problem I foresee, unless Rich can make a special setting for just one subforum, is that even if we pre-load it so the morphs are in order, every time someone posts on a morph, it will be moved to the top, messing up the order.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #14
Rich Z
Well, one possibility that comes to mind is something akin to the photo gallery I have over on FaunaClassifieds -> http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/photopost/

In such a case, separate sections could be created for each cultivar. This would be much more oriented towards photos instead of conversation, which if I read this thread correctly, is what is the target.

Been a while since I looked at Photopost, so I'm not sure how I could arrange management of it so I could perhaps assign someone other than the mods to take on the work load of managing that section. And this WOULD take some substantial management, as new categories will arise, as well as commonly accepted name changes and the like.

I would have to check with my programmer, however, to see if there are any new security issues with Photopost, and whether or not it would be best to upgrade this site in order to get the latest version of Photopost. Every new mod or third party add-on often times will add in a bit of vulnerability to hackers that does have to be considered.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
Susan
I have been thinking about it for awhile and if all that needed to be done, mod-wise, is make sure photos are in the right morph, new morphs are added, name-changes, etc, I wouldn't mind doing it (I'm finding myself with computer time and nothing good that I haven't read already). When I made my post earlier today, I was actually considering purchasing a second member forum just for a photo gallery for this site. Then I looked to see if there was an option to not bring threads up to the top when a new post is made and couldn't see one. If something as simple as that option could be found, instead of having to add a whole new program, I'll do it. Or if it's acceptable to just not mind the morphs being in order, but have a separate thread per morph, basically keeping things the way they are and simply removing comment posts, we can just do that, my treat.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #16
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Well, one possibility that comes to mind is something akin to the photo gallery I have over on FaunaClassifieds -> http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/photopost/

In such a case, separate sections could be created for each cultivar. This would be much more oriented towards photos instead of conversation, which if I read this thread correctly, is what is the target.

Been a while since I looked at Photopost, so I'm not sure how I could arrange management of it so I could perhaps assign someone other than the mods to take on the work load of managing that section. And this WOULD take some substantial management, as new categories will arise, as well as commonly accepted name changes and the like.

I would have to check with my programmer, however, to see if there are any new security issues with Photopost, and whether or not it would be best to upgrade this site in order to get the latest version of Photopost. Every new mod or third party add-on often times will add in a bit of vulnerability to hackers that does have to be considered.
Not so sure I like that. Did anyone else go look at it? It's kind of dizzying in its complexity. It would be hard to find something specific there.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #17
Nanci
Susan, maybe it's not that big of a deal if the morphs don't stay in alphabetical, or whatever, order. It would just be nice, but I don't think it's critical.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #18
AliCat37
I'm just sort of popping in here, but I would like alphabetical, just because it seems organized. Thus said, I didn't check out the link! So I'm not sure how confusing the set up is. But I do like the idea of having a photo section.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #19
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Not so sure I like that. Did anyone else go look at it? It's kind of dizzying in its complexity. It would be hard to find something specific there.
What is so complex about a display that lists the categories? Each line would be the type of cultivar of corn snake where members could post the photos of their own examples. Most of the other stuff is optional (things like recent photos, top posters, most popular, etc.) on the display page and can be left off completely.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #20
Nanci
I guess it was this view that I found distracting.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google