CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Request: Some sort of way to keep threads on-topic

Old 03-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Isoldael
Request: Some sort of way to keep threads on-topic

I'm still relatively new to this site, but one thing I've noticed is that almost every single thread goes off-topic to the point where you have to actively search for any sort of reply that might still be relevant. Now, this isn't any problem if the original poster of the thread is okay with that - some threads are simply more fun when they go in directions no one anticipated or might lead to interesting new points of view.

It gets a lot more annoying, though, when the person who created the thread is trying to ask a question or spark a discussion on a certain subject, and it immediately turns to another subject (such as the eternal hybrid or cohabbing discussions).

That is why I would like to request some kind of regulation to keep threads on-topic when the OP wishes so. Of course, such a thing would have to be very leniently dealt with - it's the nature of many discussions to go off-topic at some point, and that is fine. Only excessively going off-topic after the OP makes a specific request to keep things on-topic, though, should be dealt with somehow, in my opinion.

I know stuff like this is not my call and that's why I'm merely posting a suggestion here. Would love to hear more opinions and if such a thing is even wanted by the general community or the moderators / admins here.

~Isoldael

Old 03-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
Chip
I would simply make posts steering it back that way. Threads are allowed to become a conversation here, and conversations often drift.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Tara80
What is and is not considered "on topic" would be subjective now, wouldn't it; making something like that a very hard thing to moderate. I'd rather it be open personally.

I know the thread you are referring to and I felt that the subject was VERY on topic being that the reason why the snake was so quickly subject to scale rot was due to a stressful environment. An apple to you may be an orange to me.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Nanci
There are several other forums where users are muzzled, if you really prefer that sort of thing. Posts that disagree with the owners vanish, threads are deleted, members are constantly warned and reprimanded and infractions given. I'd venture to guess the general population here has gravitated away from that sort of atmosphere.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
Isoldael
Tara, the thread there was certainly not the only reason that made me post this. I very much enjoy reading snake-related topics, but they become so incredibly difficult to follow when people start bringing up the same (unrelated or barely related) topics over and over again and discuss them until it all comes down to "this is what I think and you suck for thinking something else". Again, I'm not talking about this particular thread, but many threads I've seen on this forum.

As for being muzzled - that's the other extreme, of course. I've seen tons of forums where everything is moderated to everyone's delight - only when things get seriously off-topic and the original owner of the thread doesn't want it to. I'm not talking about the deletion of threads, I'm not talking about removing posts that disagree with the original poster (after all, having a different opinion is fine and contributes to the discussion), I'm talking about people staying at least somewhat on-topic of the original thread starter requires that of them. I would also gladly see some moderation on posts that are clearly disrespectful to another forum member, but that's an entirely different topic.

I understand and respect it if no one else would like even the slightest bit of moderation. That's fine, and that means that this forum is not for me and I'll steer clear of it (or at least anything other than the photo section). As much as I believe in freedom of speech, I also believe in being respectful to fellow human beings, whether it's in the form of your post tone or in the form of staying on topic when the original poster asks you to.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Tara80
Sorry to point this out, but that sounds very hypocritical when you keep bringing back up the same arguments over and over youself in *other* threads

Old 03-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
Isoldael
Thanks for pointing that out, Tara, but as you may notice when reading my posts there, you will see that I already pointed out that replying there myself was hypocritical. I also sent a pm to the op to apologize for that personally.

As you can tell I know from experience how easy it is to get sucked into a discussion on a topic, off-topic or not. That's why I think a bit of moderation in such cases would be an enormous help

Old 03-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
beautifullywild77
I love how this forum is open. I like that the owner doesn't like to "moderator" too much. The rules are well stated for the sight. I like the fact that mods can also give their personal feelings on a subject without being a "mod"

I personally would hate to be "moderatored" to death.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoldael View Post
As you can tell I know from experience how easy it is to get sucked into a discussion on a topic, off-topic or not. That's why I think a bit of moderation in such cases would be an enormous help
Isn't that what forums are for, discussion?

Old 03-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
BloodyBaroness
Threads drift here. It's the nice thing about an open forum. Some really awesome debates and discussions have been started because of wandering topics. Not all of them are sweet and wonderful debates, but they are still quality in their own way.

That's part of the attraction to this site for many users. Yes there are rules, but they are less militant and restrictive over how a conversation can progress. Many good threads have been born from what could be perceived as chaos.

It may not be a forum format that appeals to everyone, but I think it's a great fit for people that enjoy it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google