• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How to report offensive private messages?

ladymagpie

Lover of all things shiny
I reported a post I found offensive and in retaliation once a mod posted on the thread they sent me an abusive message. I can't find a report button but I can send a screenshot if needed. Is there one I missed or can one be added?

You would need to send text that you cut and paste into a message to one or more of the moderators.

I think she's upset about not naming the snake Derka derka mohammed jihad.

I remember when a prominent member here was upset with Robbie for naming his snakes after serial killers and historical murderers.

But for future reference, people should be familiar with the stickies regarding site rules at the tops of various sections, and specifically the New Members section.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58067

Remember, the site rules regarding abusiveness toward other members covers not only public posts but PMs and chat and e-mails generated from this site, too.

I think she's upset about not naming the snake Derka derka mohammed jihad.

I remember when a prominent member here was upset with Robbie for naming his snakes after serial killers and historical murderers.

But for future reference, people should be familiar with the stickies regarding site rules at the tops of various sections, and specifically the New Members section.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58067

Remember, the site rules regarding abusiveness toward other members covers not only public posts but PMs and chat and e-mails generated from this site, too.

Thanks Nanci.

This has been blown way out of proportion but I didn't think it was necessary to mention the name the friends apparently mentioned as I did find it offensive. One of my colleagues is muslim and I know if she had read that she would be upset. I just mentioned while joining in with the general convo of the thread that hey why post that and I get a message in return that used a few swear words.

Its sorta gone from the offline equivalent of saying to someone in real life (if I heard them say the same thing) "hey there's no need to repeat that in a public place" to the offline equivalent of playground name calling.

Meh.

Thanks Nanci.

This has been blown way out of proportion but I didn't think it was necessary to mention the name the friends apparently mentioned as I did find it offensive. One of my colleagues is muslim and I know if she had read that she would be upset. I just mentioned while joining in with the general convo of the thread that hey why post that and I get a message in return that used a few swear words.

Its sorta gone from the offline equivalent of saying to someone in real life (if I heard them say the same thing) "hey there's no need to repeat that in a public place" to the offline equivalent of playground name calling.

Meh.

"Offense" is a relative term. Quite honestly, I have no intention of catering to every single person who might be offended by something someone else says. Otherwise nearly every single post here would likely have to be deleted because of some small minority of people (even a head count as low as 1) taking offense at it.

So although all such reported messages will likely be reviewed by one or more of the moderators, more likely than not if it is not GENERALLY and WIDELY determined to be offensive, nothing will be done about it. As such, if YOU try to take it upon yourself to try to force someone else to follow your own minority sense of what is or is not offensive, then you open yourself up voluntarily to be disagreed with, because perhaps what you have said is offensive to someone else. It's that "double edged sword" thingie.

So, in effect, if you make the bed, don't come crying to us when you are uncomfortable sleeping in it. REPORT a post and let the moderators review it. Don't pretend to be wearing a moderator hat if you really aren't wearing it. Otherwise you will catch just as much flak as the moderators do when they intervene in such matters, and you probably won't like that neither.

"Offense" is a relative term. Quite honestly, I have no intention of catering to every single person who might be offended by something someone else says. Otherwise nearly every single post here would likely have to be deleted because of some small minority of people (even a head count as low as 1) taking offense at it.

So although all such reported messages will likely be reviewed by one or more of the moderators, more likely than not if it is not GENERALLY and WIDELY determined to be offensive, nothing will be done about it. As such, if YOU try to take it upon yourself to try to force someone else to follow your own minority sense of what is or is not offensive, then you open yourself up voluntarily to be disagreed with, because perhaps what you have said is offensive to someone else. It's that "double edged sword" thingie.

So, in effect, if you make the bed, don't come crying to us when you are uncomfortable sleeping in it. REPORT a post and let the moderators review it. Don't pretend to be wearing a moderator hat if you really aren't wearing it. Otherwise you will catch just as much flak as the moderators do when they intervene in such matters, and you probably won't like that neither.

Force someone else? Am I to take it then that I am forbidden from expressing my own opinion on whether or not I find something offensive?

Also, am I to take it that you think that as I have made "my own bed" you condone and allow another member to call me a "bitch hall monitor" and that I should "get the giant stick out of your[in ref to me] ass". Is that generally and widely considered to be offensive? :(

I guess next time I won't bother asking a mod for help and I'll send an offensive message back to them next time it happens.

See, regardless of what I said, I think the other member should not have reacted the way they did.

Susan already replied in that thread in question, but I guess that wasn't good enough for you concerning our opinions of such actions? In other words, all you need to do is to report a post, NOT try play-acting moderator here.

In any event, sure you can express your opinion, but don't come crying to management when someone expresses to you THEIR opinion about you and/or your opinions about them or what they have said.

Fight your own battles when you start them, please.

Also, am I to take it that you think that as I have made "my own bed" you condone and allow another member to call me a "bitch hall monitor" and that I should "get the giant stick out of your[in ref to me] ass". Is that generally and widely considered to be offensive? :(

I guess next time I won't bother asking a mod for help and I'll send an offensive message back to them next time it happens.

Can you forward that PM to me?

In instances like this, as Rich says, it's best to just go through proper channels and report the post. In most cases, any action taken is not public knowledge.

Susan already replied in that thread in question, but I guess that wasn't good enough for you concerning our opinions of such actions? In other words, all you need to do is to report a post, NOT try play-acting moderator here.

In any event, sure you can express your opinion, but don't come crying to management when someone expresses to you THEIR opinion about you and/or your opinions about them or what they have said.

Fight your own battles when you start them, please.

There are two issues here. 1 - the OP of the thread in question and 2. How the OP responded to me. I consider 1 finished with.

Number 2 is what this thread is about and what I was asking for clarity on. On most forums I've been on, regardless of how it started, insulting other members is a no-go and I wanted to know how to report it. If I can just argue back without worrying about being suspended then hey that's cool, but don't blame me for asking where the goal posts are.

These are the items that could get an infraction:

-Abusive towards other members (1 pt.)
-Inappropriate advertising (1 pt.)
-Malicious and/or abusive trolling behavior (2 pts.)
-Posting a "COME LOOK AT MY SITE" post (2 pts.)
-Profanity (2 pts.)
-Antagonism toward moderators (4 pts.)
-Racist/Prejudicial remarks (4 pts.)
-Actual or implied threats (5 pts.)

Cumulative penalties:

10 pts.: Immediate 3-day ban
20 pts.: Immediate 1-month ban
30 pts.: Immediate 1-year ban
40 pts.: Immediate PERMANENT ban
40 pts.: Spammer
30 pts. (Spamming): Immediate permanent ban

Points expire after 365 days unless Permanent or spammer ban, then they NEVER expire.

As stated above, these rules apply to the open forum, chat, PMs and e-mails sent from this site. If you feel a post, PM, etc. is in violation of site rules, just report it.

It's not worth getting into a flame war with another member- it just gets everyone ticked off at both of you.

It's fine to discuss differing opinions. It is not acceptable when people start calling names or threatening each other.

Back