CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Mostly hot and muggy with widely scattered yellow flies.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:35 PM   #11
Rich Z
Well, actually these bug zappers work quite well on the yellow flies. I don't know how many of them we have killed, but it is a BUNCH of them. I'm actually getting used to the smell of cooked flies finally. I had to change the batteries today because I walked down to one of the bamboo groves, and the zapper was going off constantly, sometimes 3 and 4 flies at a time getting smacked down. I was thinking the zzzap was not as loud as usual afterwards, so I figured it was about time for new batteries. Yep, next flies that got zapped it was MUCH louder and the spark really darn bright.

We are going to buy some more of them tomorrow. We feel naked walking out of the house without one in hand now. Truth be known, it is actually fun zapping these little vampires. Yeah, we still get bit now and again as some will come in low and get our legs. But we are definitely putting a crimp in the next generation due next year.

I should take up tennis. My backhand from all this practice I am getting would be impressive. I'm guessing anyone seeing us walking around the property from the road probably thinks we are some sort of tennis nuts anyway.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:13 PM   #12
Twolunger
Don't know if you have love bugs there, but they are thick down here. The zapper will work quite well on them too. Probably wearing down my batteries but a guy has to have a little fun.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:11 AM   #13
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Don't know if you have love bugs there, but they are thick down here. The zapper will work quite well on them too. Probably wearing down my batteries but a guy has to have a little fun.
Yeah we get them here too, but so far haven't seen all that many of them around. I think I would reserve the zapper for biting bugs and not so much those that are just bumbling around being a nuisance. Anything that wants to make a meal of my blood is fair game sort of thing. Of course I have zapped a couple of grasshoppers, but they were chewing on our fruit trees, so I guess they qualify for a zapping.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #14
Twolunger
They swarm in the millions down here. Some of the windshields are so covered I don't know how the drivers can see. Since the females can lay up to 350 eggs I figure I saved the area from at least 50,000-100,000 new love bugs. LOL. One swipe from the zapper can take out 5 or more pairs. For some reason they were swarming all around my white truck in the driveway, so I got tennis elbow. LOL.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:58 PM   #15
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
They swarm in the millions down here. Some of the windshields are so covered I don't know how the drivers can see. Since the females can lay up to 350 eggs I figure I saved the area from at least 50,000-100,000 new love bugs. LOL. One swipe from the zapper can take out 5 or more pairs. For some reason they were swarming all around my white truck in the driveway, so I got tennis elbow. LOL.
Yeah, they do seem to be attracted to white objects for some reason. We often will first see them hanging around the local Publix store and also around gas station pumps.

Been seeing quite a few vehicles when we run errands with the fronts just covered with lovebug carcasses, so obviously somewhere nearby they are pretty thick. I probably need to put an extra coat of protectant on the front of the vehicles.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #16
Twolunger
I got bit on the leg yesterday and found one of your missing yellow flies. First one I've seen in a long time. That one won't be back.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:39 PM   #17
Rich Z
We've got plenty more around here if you want me to send you some.

Seriously Connie and I have been killing them by the boatload. The hand held bug zappers are knocking the hell out of them. Literally. I think Connie actually enjoys the battle. In the past we always felt so helpless around here when they arrived each year, but this year we feel like we are able to effectively fight back and fight back HARD. I do have to admit that I am beginning to get sore wrists from waving the things around, but I guess that is being countered by the great cardio workout we get as a bonus.

Yeah a few will still land a bite now and again, and it still hurts, but it is darn satisfying when we see the flash of light on the bug zapper that indicates that there is one less yellow fly in the world to attack us. Kind of makes the bites bearable somewhat.

And the mosquito magnets are sucking down some too. Too add to the mayhem, I just recently purchased some spray on Tangle Foot adhesive that I am going to be apply to plant nursery buckets and hang them from trees using fishing line. Hopefully the lizards won't get on them, and I am using very fine line with the hopes that they won't be able to crawl down to the buckets.

So perhaps the one you found is one that realized that being around the Zuchowski place isn't a real healthy place to be if your are a yellow fly.

Anyway, for each yellow fly we kill this year, that means even less (hopefully) to have to deal with in subsequent generations. Heck, I would be all for extinction for those damn monsters. If it were only within my power....

Old 06-03-2019, 12:42 PM   #18
Twolunger
I grabbed one before it could do any real damage to the skin, but looks like another one bit my calf. We don't want any to come south of Tampa. We have enough bites from the no-see-ums.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:33 PM   #19
Rich Z
Yeah, if you are going to smack them, the trick is to wait till they raise their butt up in the air as they prepare to bite. Apparently they get so preoccupied with the anticipated meal that they let their guard down. Wait too long to make the swat and you have blood spurted on your hand, however.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:32 PM   #20
Twolunger
If you catch one, take a wing off and find the nearest fire ant mound and stir them up. Drop the fly and let nature takes its course while you enjoy the sight. Serves them right.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google