CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Help me buy a lens please!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #21
WingedSweetheart
I've been contemplating this lens. Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens. They have more expensive ones and cheaper ones. But this one is mid level. I want a dedicated macro lens but I can not for the life of me find a review about how good of a macro lens this is! Every single thing I've read about it compliments it and says how wonderful it is and how it can be used for more than just Macro photography. But I don't care what it can do other than Macro. I want a lens just for macro that takes good macro.

So what are you thought?

Also is the extra cash worth the IS (image stabilizer) worth the extra cash? With IS even used this lens is over $800. But without I can get it used for $300. I understand that if I'm going to use a tripod that IS is not a must. However I freehand a lot. It is very hard to drag a tripod around underneath bushes and halfway up embankments trying to take pictures of little bugs and critter like I do. So does IS make a lot of difference? I'm not going to drop over $800 for a used lens when brand new it's over $800 on amazon.com. To be exact brand new it cost, $899 and the cheapest used is, $825 and that is only good condition... It's pretty much the same on ebay.
Without the IS the lens is $515 on amazon and $380 cheapest used with a like new condition. Much cheaper. However even being cheaper if the IS really helps with freehand shots then that is the one I'm going to keep an eye on for the price to drop.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #22
WingedSweetheart
I should also mention that I am open to 3rd party lens as long as they are built well and do just as well as name brand.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #23
HeavenHell
Thumbs up

Generally all macro lenses are sharp. Whether you buy a Canon or a 3rd party macro lens like the Tamron or Sigma you will be happy with the results.

The following two sites are excellent resources for reviews: http://www.photozone.de/Reviews
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/

It's probably not worth the extra cost for IS. IS is not as effective at macro distances. Canon rates this IS system for 2 stops of assistance at 1x/1:1. IS does not keep your subject still. People move. Bugs crawl. The wind blows. Those are your biggest issues when shooting macro.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #24
WingedSweetheart
18-55mm lens with auto settings (at 44mm) and flash:

50mm lens with auto settings and flash:

Only edit was to resize.

Just playing with what the auto settings can do. I will read the manual eventually to figure out how to adjust setting to how I like. I prefer doing things manually.

I went back and darkened the first photo a little before posting it on facebook. The color looks a little washed out in the original.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google