• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Florida blood

Rich Z

Administrator
Staff member
Sheesh, I guess after living down here for 22 years I've finally got what they call
"Florida blood". It apparently thins out or something. I walked outside today and the 50 degree temps felt like freezing to me. Seriously the skin on my face felt like I was going to get frost bite.

Used to be when we moved down here, 50 degrees would have felt like a warm spring day, but no longer. Even Connie commented on how raw and cold it felt outside.

I guess getting exposed to REALLY cold temps would probably just flash freeze me on the spot.......

So heck, bring on that global warming thing. I'm ALL for it. I'll take that over glaciers any day. :grin01:

Yeah you got that "Florida blood" all right. Feel lucky you do LOL
The prediction for the low temperature in my town tomorrow night is 10 BELOW zero !!!!!
At 50 degrees, I'd be riding my motorcycle lol.
A lot of Canadians on here will now tell me how warm that is compared to them !!
Where's that "global warming" ??? I see a glacier forming right now out in the bay !! Ha-ha..........

Yeah, 10 below zero would certainly kill me right on the spot.

I was looking at a temperature grid map showing temps on the Pacific side of Central America in the high 80s today. Maybe Connie and I should get our passports.

I talked to a guy not that long ago selling homes in Nicaragua who was trying to get me interested in moving there. But I did some research on the area, and particularly the major towns in the area. Well, likely not my cup of tea. There are so many things you just take for granted here in the USA that would not be available to you. Grocery stores, for instance. No such thing down there. You would have to go to a separate place for nearly everything on your grocery list.

And I could just forget about taking my vettes down there. And what would I do without internet access, much less reliable electric power being available?

Sure takes the fun out of thoughts like this when I started thinking along realistic lines......

I hear yah, I take a peek around south and central America every now and then.The herping would be great but other than that not to have reliable comforts that we take for granted would be tough.
I had a 75 vette ( yah I know, no horse power, but loved the body lines) for 20 years but sold it a couple of years ago along with my 68 firebird. Maine is the safest state to live in IF you can survive the winters. I think it's time to head your way to Florida but my girlfriend says not yet ha-ha.

It's been getting to -40 windchills here at night... Winters in the coldest major city in Canada suck.

You know, back when Connie and I used to just come down to Florida for vacation, one time we were on the way back home and stopped at a place along the road just outside of Tallahassee selling pecans. Some old grizzled guy was running the stand and when we were loading the pecans into the Bronco, he noticed the license plate. Which was a Maryland tag at that time.

He rubbed his jaw and looked over at me with a sort of puzzled look on his face and asked if I minded if he asked me a question. Sure, I didn't mind. He asked, "Tell me, just why in the HELL would anyone live up north anyway?" My reply was, "Heck, I was born there. I don't know any better."

He seemed satisfied with that answer, and gave me a knowing nod.

Of course, later on, I came to know better and did something about that. :laugh:

Yeah I'll take living in a place where butterflies are flying around, and lizards sunning themselves all through the winter months anytime....

Your lucky I haven't gone down yet. I seem to bring the cold with me. 2 January's ago I was in Punta Gorda. The morning temperature was 28 degrees. I called my girlfriend back here in Maine and it was 32 here.
I ended up here because this I where my father was from when he retired from the service. Now he lives in Florida !!!
Change butterflies and lizards to southern black widow spiders and alligators and it doesn't sound quite as good :)

I can't wait till Friday ! I might do a little yard work, oh yeah the yard is under a foot of snow !!
Just trying to make you feel better about that 50 degree temp :dancer:

Attachments

• temp 001.PNG
    temp 001.PNG
    207.6 KB · Views: 115
I love it when they mention the wind chill here in Florida. You've gotta be kidding...

39F this morning. I put on a sweatshirt, but it's not cold enough for socks with my sandals yet...

I've lived in FL my whole life - if it gets to be around 60F, I start getting blankets out and put on a pot of chili like clockwork. (my fridge is full of leftover chili.....)
If it's below 40, I look like a ewok - covered head to two in blankets and scarves and all that. Just too sensitive to the cold I guess!

My bf is from northern Michigan, and he used to laugh at me for saying it was "cold" in Florida... this morning it was around 50F, and he was wearing a hat, scarf, longsleeves and had a little blanket on his feet. HA! I think being constantly warm DOES effect how you feel in the cold.

I've gotten use to the cooler temps that Albuquerque experiences in the almost 5 years I've been here. My wife and I were down 250 miles in Las Cruces, NM for my sister-in-law's college grad and I was walking around in short sleeves at midnight on Friday. Felt like that 50 degrees you talk of, yet up here in ABQ 50 feels colder. There is almost a 2000 to 3000 ft elevation difference between the 2 cities.

Pressure and humidity definitely affect how temps feel. A 50 day can feel warm(ish) and wonderful or make you want to bundle up. Sometimes both in the span of a day here in Mi.

There must be some cold intolerance that comes with age too. I've lived in Michigan all my life, and remember playing outside for hours, in much colder temps. Now, it's hard to walk from the house to the garage when it's single digits, like this morning.

Anyway, my mom lives in Arizona, and is always bundled up when it's below 60 degrees. I guess being in a warmer climate does make you lose your tolerance for cold. Heck, I'm living in a cold climate, and am losing my tolerance for cold!

Kathy

Yeah, well, not very likely I'm going to move back to a cold climate just to build up a tolerance to cold.

So I take it that global warming hasn't found the northern areas of the country yet? :laugh:

Yeah, well, not very likely I'm going to move back to a cold climate just to build up a tolerance to cold.

So I take it that global warming hasn't found the northern areas of the country yet? :laugh:
I wish, it's 15 outside in Charlotte Mi but feels like 5 Brrrr!!!

Also I agree with whoever said your tolerance goes down the older you get. My kids were outside playing in the snow multiple times today (they had a snow day). Not me no way, I looked like the kid from "A Christmas Story" going out to let my horses out of the barn and feed them this morning. I'll have my ninja gear on to bring them in later lol.

I must be cold-blooded. I can't stand the heat. I lived in Florida 2 years and couldn't wait to get out of there! I definitely don't regret leaving. When I left Florida I moved to the California Desert and here I am. Traded in humidity for even more heat. I need my snow and cold! I still keep saying one day I will get back to Colorado...

well.... it's -10 outside right now BUT the good news is NO WINDCHILL so it feels only like -10 outside
:laugh01:

I guess I'm lucky I'm not in Winnipeg :)

Global chilling is more like it !!

Temp got down to 33.4 degrees here last night.

You guys DO know that if the government firmly believes this stuff about global warming being caused by human causes, and then takes steps to "fix" it, that we are in for an ice age, don't you? :eek1:

After they've taken steps to make sure that THEY will all be comfy, regardless, of course.

It does seem like the seasons are getting more extreme. Whether it's a natural occurrence or man made is something I'll never know.
For instance last March we had a 39inch snow storm but the March prior we were out riding my motorcycle in June like weather.
:shrugs:
It will be debated long after I'm gone................................

Back