• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

January in Florida.

We have talked about trailering our bikes down to Bradenton where my dad lives and taking the bikes from there. We always ride the bikes to wherever we go but I think if we are serious about riding the keys then we will have to trailer them :(.

I was curious how long from here and mapquest'd it to Key Largo. Apparently there is a major traffic jam or the Polar Vortex is causing a 463 day delay LOL

''27 hrs 45 mins / 11137 hrs 41 mins based on current traffic''

Well, this IS the prime time for northerners to come down here to roost for the winter months, so that might actually be accurate.

Just got word that it is sleeting in Pensacola. It does look like some sort of precipitation is heading this way from the West. If that does happen, I doubt the temps will drop down to 21* like they are predicting. The odd thing about this part of the country is that any cloud cover at all seems to negate the chance of temps being low enough to produce snow. I guess that will be true unless the temps are really REALLY cold.

It was probably some cloud cover last night that moved in and kept the temps from dropping down to 26* like they were predicting.

But they are calling for another cold shot of air mid next week, so no telling whether that forecast will be accurate or not. If the recent past is any guide, it will NOT be accurate at all. I've watched the forecast for the current day change a couple of times right before midnight, meaning the weather people weren't even paying attention to what the weather conditions were at the moment, much less making a call about the future. Seriously, if you change a "forecast" at 11:50 pm for the current day, what is the point?

I used to drive from MN to FL before I moved here and it was about 24 hours.
I used to drive it also when my kids lived in Kissimmee for college. Now I fly. If I could only bring my motorcycle as a carry-on :)

Well, this IS the prime time for northerners to come down here to roost for the winter months, so that might actually be accurate.

Well I would have to go thru Jersey so I wonder if Governor Christie is at it again with the Geo. Washington bridge !!:grin01:

So, all day today the prediction was for the overnight low to be 21*. Then around 4pm or so, they changed it to 22*. So Connie and I broke out the tarps and were covering as many citrus trees as we could. Checking the forecast at 10:30 they changed the forecast to 30 degrees. :headbang: What the heck good does a "forecast" do at that time? The idea of a forecast is so you can prepare for it. I swear, they must pay those guys a LOT of money. Otherwise who on earth would want to go through life with the stigma of being a weatherman attached to them and being the laughingstock of the world? They probably get gag gifts for Christmas, like compasses that point due South instead of North, or watches that NEVER tell the correct time.

There was a big jump in the overnight temp prediction yesterday evening- I didn't even have to drip water overnight.

I'm about sick to death of this. I have four babies needing to go north, and I can't remember ever going so long without a break in the weather.

Yeah, my min/max thermometer on the porch shows that it never dropped below 38.5* last night. They were WAY off on that one. Heck, don't they even look at the radar screens? The radar screens show cloud cover, and cloud cover usually means warmer temps underneath.

Well they are calling for a low of 20* now for Wednesday night/Thursday morning. Let's see how far off they are on that one.

But now Connie and I have to fold up all those tarps and put them away before they get rained on. Not really good to cover plants with wet tarps.

I just got this from NOAA Storm Spotters...
ezaqyvab.jpg

Yeah, I'm not sure what we are going to do about covering the plants those couple of days. With rain forecast interspersed with freezing temperatures over night, not sure how we are going to be able to cover the plants, then keep the tarps dry in between. Might have to just cover them sometime on Tuesday, and then just leave them covered all day Wednesday and Wednesday night.

Glad we really don't have to GO anywhere those days. The roads are likely too warm to worry about freezing rain, but still, going to be pretty crappy out, it appears.

Then by the weekend it's supposed to be in the 70s.

Then by the weekend it's supposed to be in the 70s.

Yer killin' me! It hasn't been above 6 degrees here in I don't know how long. Detroit has broken its 1978 record for snowfall in the month of January - we've had something like 34 inches already this month.

But I'm the dummy who continues to live here! (Love the other seasons though) :)

Kathy

Actually, it hit 70 degrees here today. Was 74 when we were up in Tallahassee this afternoon. Doesn't seem right that on Wednesday it might not even get out of the 30s. And they are calling for possibly a "wintry mix", so even the newspaper seems reluctant to use the "S" word when talking about precipitation in sunny Florida.

But they are continually ratcheting up the predicted low for Wednesday night, so maybe it won't be too brutal. Yeah, I know, it's all relative. But trust me, when you've been living down here for 20 years, it doesn't take much for it to feel "brutally cold" any longer. Even at 60 degrees I'm putting on a jacket to go outside.

Well, saw some sleet with some snow flakes scattered in a little while ago. The top of the pool enclosure looks iced over. Actually have icicles hanging from the roof edges. Outside temp according to my thermometer on the front porch is 31.6*. And quite likely it's not going to get any warmer than that today since it is 3pm. I've got to run outside and drip the faucets, hoping they aren't already frozen up. And if the precipitation will stop, got to cover a few more plants before nightfall. The predicted overnight low has changed every time I look at it, but right now they are calling for 25*. The tropicals Connie has between two buildings has remained covered all day long, so hopefully they will be OK. She's trying to raise some pineapple plants.

Man I don't want to go outside today AT ALL......... :{

The next town over from me, to the northwest, has schools closed tomorrow for a snow day...

Just got back from dripping the outside faucets. One is only able to run a couple of drops of water through it, so obviously it is iced up. Hopefully the real slow dip will help. Tree branches are covered with a thin sheet of ice. And the ground is crunchy because there is a thin layer of sleet all over everything. The tarp covering Connie's tropical plants has a bunch of sleet captured on it. The front steps to the porch are covered with sleet, but it wasn't frozen solid to be actually slippery. And it is still coming down. Outside temp is now 31.3*, so it's dropping. I guess when the precipitation stops and if the cloud cover moves out it just might get real DAMNED cold tonight.

The amazing thing is that the precipitation is coming from a southerly direction, so since it's coming off of the Gulf, it should be warmer than it would otherwise be without it. So if not for that, I think this would have been an VERY cold day here.

Hey, want to hear a joke I just heard? Global warming! :laugh:

We have your global warming here in california where we've been pretty much entirely without rain and unseasonal high temperatures. The country used to get cold snapes like this one quite often. It only seems so noteworthy because they've been fewer and further between.

http://xkcd.com/1321/

So, with that in mind, what exactly is the down side to a potential global warming anyway? Extended growing seasons seem like they would be quite beneficial. And I've just never seen any bright side to freezing temperatures at all unless you are a polar bear needing to cross frozen water.

So in my opinion? Global warming? Bring it on! Sure would be easier and more convenient than my moving further south.

Oh and as for the predictions of gloom and doom, heck, this is from people who can't even make an accurate prediction of what the weather is going to be like three days from now. So those statements need extra large doses of salt to swallow along with them.

Global warming =

More extreme hurricanes and storms
More extreme droughts
Changing zones where plant types can be grown resulting in death of current forest makeups and other wild habitats

Global warming =

More extreme hurricanes and storms
More extreme droughts
Changing zones where plant types can be grown resulting in death of current forest makeups and other wild habitats

I believe that is just a prediction. Much like a weather forecast.

Actually, it's physics. Warmer temperatures will equal warmer ocean temperatures, which are the driving forces of hurricanes. Increasing temperatures will also change and disrupt oceanic water cycles. Simple physics of how things move as they change temperature.

There's already noticeable flora migration. Plants are showing up at elevations and lattitudes they historically have not been seen. Winters here have gotten obviously warmer just in my lifetime. When I was a kid in Morgan Hill, frost and ice on puddles was a common occurrence. Same in San Jose. Now frost in general is rarely seen even in winter.

Actually, it's physics. Warmer temperatures will equal warmer ocean temperatures, which are the driving forces of hurricanes. Increasing temperatures will also change and disrupt oceanic water cycles. Simple physics of how things move as they change temperature.

There's already noticeable flora migration. Plants are showing up at elevations and lattitudes they historically have not been seen. Winters here have gotten obviously warmer just in my lifetime. When I was a kid in Morgan Hill, frost and ice on puddles was a common occurrence. Same in San Jose. Now frost in general is rarely seen even in winter.

Regardless, it's STILL a prediction based on conjecture and suppositions.

And isn't an expanded range for plant life actually a GOOD thing? Longer growing seasons and wider ranges of usable land for crops that are now marginal, at best, because of temperatures being too cold? The world CHANGES, which is evident in the geological evidence. The world isn't here merely to suit human beings. It will change whether we like it or not, and whether or not the changes are better for us. We, as a species either have to adapt or, well, die. It is just foolish to expect the world to remain the same just because that is how we have recorded it in the VERY short period of time we have done so. And certainly changes that do take place do not have to be uniformly applied, well, "globally". Why would anyone think it unreasonable to expect that some areas of the globe very well could get warmer, and others get colder? Just as some areas sometimes get wetter and others drier over time. Is not the world littered with ruins from civilizations that existed before us and are now gone? Why is that, do you suppose?

And it is also just as foolish to think of our sun (usually referred to as a variable star) will be a constant source of exactly the same energy output that warms the earth in the same amount year after year, day after day. Matter of fact there is some evidence that we may be entering a Dalton Minimum, which will mean COLDER temps because of reduced solar activity. I'm sure that anyone can find a theory for just about anything they want if they just look hard enough.

Heck, probably most here don't remember that there was a general concern in the 1970s that we were on the brink of going through a period of global cooling, likely to preface a new ice age. Which, of course, was blamed on human activity. :rolleyes:

The universe does not exist merely at our pleasure and for our comfort. And I suggest that scientists are only guessing what is going on around us. Remember, what they are saying are only THEORIES, not proven facts. Theories are only guesses based on other guesses put together in a sales package to the listeners. As I said, little better than weather predictions.

So again, "global warming"? Perhaps "spotty, here and there, now and again warming" might be more accurate.

Last edited:
Back