CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

January in Florida.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #21
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddio207 View Post
We have talked about trailering our bikes down to Bradenton where my dad lives and taking the bikes from there. We always ride the bikes to wherever we go but I think if we are serious about riding the keys then we will have to trailer them .

I was curious how long from here and mapquest'd it to Key Largo. Apparently there is a major traffic jam or the Polar Vortex is causing a 463 day delay LOL

''27 hrs 45 mins / 11137 hrs 41 mins based on current traffic''
Well, this IS the prime time for northerners to come down here to roost for the winter months, so that might actually be accurate.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #22
Rich Z
Just got word that it is sleeting in Pensacola. It does look like some sort of precipitation is heading this way from the West. If that does happen, I doubt the temps will drop down to 21* like they are predicting. The odd thing about this part of the country is that any cloud cover at all seems to negate the chance of temps being low enough to produce snow. I guess that will be true unless the temps are really REALLY cold.

It was probably some cloud cover last night that moved in and kept the temps from dropping down to 26* like they were predicting.

But they are calling for another cold shot of air mid next week, so no telling whether that forecast will be accurate or not. If the recent past is any guide, it will NOT be accurate at all. I've watched the forecast for the current day change a couple of times right before midnight, meaning the weather people weren't even paying attention to what the weather conditions were at the moment, much less making a call about the future. Seriously, if you change a "forecast" at 11:50 pm for the current day, what is the point?

Old 01-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #23
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I used to drive from MN to FL before I moved here and it was about 24 hours.
I used to drive it also when my kids lived in Kissimmee for college. Now I fly. If I could only bring my motorcycle as a carry-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Well, this IS the prime time for northerners to come down here to roost for the winter months, so that might actually be accurate.
Well I would have to go thru Jersey so I wonder if Governor Christie is at it again with the Geo. Washington bridge !!

Old 01-25-2014, 01:28 AM   #24
Rich Z
So, all day today the prediction was for the overnight low to be 21*. Then around 4pm or so, they changed it to 22*. So Connie and I broke out the tarps and were covering as many citrus trees as we could. Checking the forecast at 10:30 they changed the forecast to 30 degrees. What the heck good does a "forecast" do at that time? The idea of a forecast is so you can prepare for it. I swear, they must pay those guys a LOT of money. Otherwise who on earth would want to go through life with the stigma of being a weatherman attached to them and being the laughingstock of the world? They probably get gag gifts for Christmas, like compasses that point due South instead of North, or watches that NEVER tell the correct time.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #25
Nanci
There was a big jump in the overnight temp prediction yesterday evening- I didn't even have to drip water overnight.

I'm about sick to death of this. I have four babies needing to go north, and I can't remember ever going so long without a break in the weather.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #26
Rich Z
Yeah, my min/max thermometer on the porch shows that it never dropped below 38.5* last night. They were WAY off on that one. Heck, don't they even look at the radar screens? The radar screens show cloud cover, and cloud cover usually means warmer temps underneath.

Well they are calling for a low of 20* now for Wednesday night/Thursday morning. Let's see how far off they are on that one.

But now Connie and I have to fold up all those tarps and put them away before they get rained on. Not really good to cover plants with wet tarps.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #27
Nanci
I just got this from NOAA Storm Spotters...

Old 01-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #28
Rich Z
Yeah, I'm not sure what we are going to do about covering the plants those couple of days. With rain forecast interspersed with freezing temperatures over night, not sure how we are going to be able to cover the plants, then keep the tarps dry in between. Might have to just cover them sometime on Tuesday, and then just leave them covered all day Wednesday and Wednesday night.

Glad we really don't have to GO anywhere those days. The roads are likely too warm to worry about freezing rain, but still, going to be pretty crappy out, it appears.

Then by the weekend it's supposed to be in the 70s.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:44 PM   #29
The Cat
Quote:
Lucky. ...

Old 01-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #30
insomniac101
Quote:
Yer killin' me! It hasn't been above 6 degrees here in I don't know how long. Detroit has broken its 1978 record for snowfall in the month of January - we've had something like 34 inches already this month.

But I'm the dummy who continues to live here! (Love the other seasons though)

Kathy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google