CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Saw this and thought of you, Rich

Old 08-07-2003, 09:07 PM   #1
kenster
Saw this and thought of you, Rich

Rich how long before you have one or two of these in your collection? Can you imagine the recoil?! "Dirty Harry" would have looked really good with two of these....

http://www.smith-wesson.com/Products/Firearms/m500.htm

Ken

Old 08-07-2003, 11:53 PM   #2
Rich Z
There was one of those guns at the gun show here in Tallahassee last weekend. If the dealer hadn't had it priced at $400 over what it should sell for, I might have been interested. Supposedly it is a real hand full (pun intended) though.

I have an AMT in .50AE that thumps the palm pretty soundly. Most people are satisfied to only shoot it once. From the comments that everyone has made when they touched off a round, I named the gun the "Jesus Christ!" gun.

I bought an upper receiver for one of my AR-15s that shoots the .50 Beowulf cartridge. Kind of an interesting combination.

Darn, wish I had time to do some shooting. But it's been raining just about every day here for the last couple of months. Matter of fact, I can make the thunder rumble just by thinking I'm going to go out and do some shooting for a bit.

Old 08-08-2003, 10:28 AM   #3
CAV
Rich,

Did you have to upgrade the recoil spring or otherwise modify the lower receiver in order to handle the additional recoil? That has to be substantially different from a standard 5.56m load.

Old 08-09-2003, 12:12 AM   #4
Rich Z
No, there was no warning about spring or buffer replacement for the lower. I suspect that maybe after you fired it several thousand times, you may see more wear than normal for a .223, but I seriously doubt you will shoot it that much. For one reason, ammo runs about $1 each. Almost as much as .50BMG ammo.

Old 08-09-2003, 12:28 AM   #5
kenster
$1 a round that is all it costs you to shoot your 50 BMG? It costs me about the same for a good round for my 7mm mag. hmmm guess I need a 50 BMG then. Actually I am looking at a nice .45acp. now I have to find the funds, seems I have spent too much on baby corns....go figure....

Ken

Old 08-09-2003, 12:16 PM   #6
Clint Boyer
I'd like to pick up an AR.......

There are so many accessories and the variations are seemingly limitless.

.50 Beowulf? What case is that based on? Do you need a custom magazine?

Ken,
.45 ACP is one of my favorites! My collection is small, I only own two, a Colt and a Kimber. When we really want to burn up some ammo we take out the custom Ruger 10-22's. They really are FUN! And deadly on ground squirrels! (desert rats)

Old 08-09-2003, 03:32 PM   #7
Rich Z
The .50 Beowulf is pretty nifty. It has a rebated rim so the upper received can use a standard 7.62x39 bolt instead of having to machine one to fit. It's a custom casing for the round all the way.

Check out this link:

Alexander Arms

You can get just the upper, or the entire gun. An upper will run around $600 if you look hard enough.

Mine is VERY accurate!

Oh yeah, if you want to get a regular AR-15, I would recommend a Bushmaster. I would go with them over Colt or Armalite. Armalite makes a real nice AR-10, but I'm not to impressed with their AR-15s. If you want to get a REAL NICE AR, get an AR-10 in .243. YOU WILL LIKE THAT GUN! Mine can knock the eye out of a gnat.

Old 08-09-2003, 07:46 PM   #8
Clint Boyer
Well I'll be!.........

I guess I've had my head in the sand! That's the first time I've heard of that cartridge or the weapon.
All of my experience with the AR type rifle is from the military Colt M-16's. I really enjoyed shooting that weapon. The Beowulf might be a bit much on the squirrels but it'd be one hell of a tactical steel target gun. Although, with a bunker buster type projectile, they wouldn't even be safe 3 ft. down in their borrows! A brass catcher is a must for that thing, I can see why the rounds are so expensive.
That's the first time I've seen the GunBlast site also, it gets a bookmark!

Old 08-09-2003, 10:21 PM   #9
Rich Z
For squirrels, THE cartridge to use is supposed to be the .17HMR. Remington came out with a semi-auto. The gun and the cartridge itself are supposed to be VERY accurate. I bought one of those rifles and a bunch of ammo. Mounted a Leupold VariX III 1.5x5 scope on it and haven't touched it since. Might get around to sighting it in around October or so, I guess.

But seriously, check out the AR-10 in .243. Outstanding combination!

Oh yeah, if you like bolt actions instead of semi-autos, check out the Steyr Scout in .243. I didn't much like it when I first saw it. But after shooting it I completely changed my mind.

Old 08-09-2003, 11:13 PM   #10
Clint Boyer
I have read about the .17, sounds like fun.

Your weapon is much like my unfired Kimber of Oregon M 84 in .223 with a laminated stock and a Luepold 4.5 X 14 vari X III. I swear, one of these days I'll be able to do my guns justice.

Yeah that Scout is kind of UGLY! But........beauty is in the precision of the instrument!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google