CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Groan......

Old 03-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #61
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Let's see, 500 times an average of 16 babies, is uh....
Well, over 7500 and you have been producing 3000-4000 the last few years and think you have been busy with that...

You won't get ANY sleep this year....

Walter,
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 03-07-2009, 02:08 AM   #62
Rich Z
Yeah man......

I think this year I'm going to have to raise the level to where I make the cut as to what gets bulked out right out of the egg.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #63
Walter Smith
Quote:
Yeah man......

I think this year I'm going to have to raise the level to where I make the cut as to what gets bulked out right out of the egg.
I know you didn't run it last year Rich, but do you plan on running the 50% off out of the egg sale this year??

Walter,
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 03-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #64
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Smith View Post
I know you didn't run it last year Rich, but do you plan on running the 50% off out of the egg sale this year??

Walter,
BOUT' CORNS !!
Yeah, probably. Depends on whether or not I can find the time to set it up before the babies actually start hatching out. I have a new shopping cart program that Drew has been working on for me that I was supposed to take time this past Winter to get set up, but never found the time to do that. And that was supposed to be my down time. This year I put off getting started on my taxes a bit too long and breeding season kicked in a little earlier than usual, so BOTH of them are ganging up on me right now. AND I decided to sell off most of my gun collection right now as well. Plus other assorted and sundry headaches going on around here.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #65
Drewby07
I'm ready when you are Rich!! I think we can get it going pretty quickly!

Old 03-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #66
torsten
Sounds like fun over at serpenco!!!

I am hoping to come over to America at some stage spring/summer one year in the next couple of years Hopefully to work with some of the big snakes breeders (corns/pythons/boas, whichever i get the chance to do) and was wondering if i could help you out for a few months or something like that?

Old 03-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #67
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by torsten View Post
Sounds like fun over at serpenco!!!

I am hoping to come over to America at some stage spring/summer one year in the next couple of years Hopefully to work with some of the big snakes breeders (corns/pythons/boas, whichever i get the chance to do) and was wondering if i could help you out for a few months or something like that?
I'm not sure how that would work out. We don't have the facilities to put someone up for the duration here. Heck, for that matter, I may not even be around in a couple of years. I don't make as many long term plans as I used to do.....

Old 03-29-2009, 02:44 AM   #68
Rich Z
Well, this is really wearing me down. Got most of the females in the larger cages already bred with three males right now, so hopefully they will take and fertility will be good. Started breeding the snakes in smaller cages (things didn't go the way I had planned this Winter for moving out a bunch of older animals to make room for the newer ones) by setting up "snake motels". It's a pain in the butt to do, but there are a lot of really neat projects coming due this year that I would like to see the results of.

I doubt I'll get them all done, however. Once the eggs begin dropping, the breeding stuff then takes a back seat. It doesn't take too long before I get tired of seeing eggs. You know, this is really a lot of work for an old guy like me. I even have to put on reading glasses so I can pop the babies anymore and see what the heck I am doing.

Got a few females in the "red dot" stage, meaning they have had their pre-egg laying shed. Got to run out and get some peat moss tomorrow to set up egg laying containers. The timing this year appears to be the same as last year. Last year the first clutch was dropped on April 2nd. Last clutch (not counting those blasted second clutches) was on May 20th. Babies began hatching on June 6th, so there really wasn't much of a break between egg laying and egg hatching. By July 26th, all of the eggs except the second clutches had hatched.

Looks like things are going to be real tight this year for egg-laying containers. Seems like I have too many snakes living in those shoe boxes that I normally use to hold the eggs this time of year.

Things are certainly going to get interesting this year.....

Old 04-01-2009, 03:20 AM   #69
Rich Z
Well, it looks like egg laying has begun... I peeked in on a female I set up with an egg laying box the other day, and sure enough, she was pushing them out. Looked all fertile from what I could see through the top.

And I've still got a bunch of females to throw males in with yet.

Rats... It's almost 3:30am. So much for working on taxes tonight....

Old 04-01-2009, 04:05 AM   #70
toyah
Quote:
but there are a lot of really neat projects coming due this year that I would like to see the results of.
Me too. Is it too early to start bugging you for a price list yet? (or at least a list of expected new/rare/unusual morphs for sale ...)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google