CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Groan......

Old 04-01-2009, 04:13 AM   #71
JustinF
You don't really know me Rich, I got one of my first Corns from you in 95', you were doing amazing things then and you still are now. I don't know a fraction of the things you have going on, but I do get a sense of what you are saying in this thread.

Take this for what it's worth; You can't take any of it with you, and you don't have anything with out your health! What works for me is to look at the situation from a third person's perspective, it helps me see if the situation I find myself in is a good idea, or not.

I hope you get what you need Rich!

Old 04-01-2009, 09:13 AM   #72
Khaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyah View Post
Me too. Is it too early to start bugging you for a price list yet? (or at least a list of expected new/rare/unusual morphs for sale ...)
That is all.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #73
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyah View Post
Me too. Is it too early to start bugging you for a price list yet? (or at least a list of expected new/rare/unusual morphs for sale ...)
Yeah, it's too early.... I guess it's a fear of the "counting your chickens before they hatch" sort of thing. I'm doing some different things this year, so I need to see what pans out and what doesn't before making a decision on what I am selling and how I will be selling them. As I mentioned before, there will be NO keepers this year, which introduces a complication all in itself. Some of the stuff hatching out will be pretty much unidentifiable, so putting a label on them will be pretty tough to do. I've already tried putting just questions marks on some snakes I took to the Daytona Beach show a few years ago, but that didn't work very well. So perhaps just making up a new name on the fly is the best course. People LIKE names, apparently.

But we'll see.... As soon as I know definitely which way is best for me to bounce, then I'll let everyone know. I sure would hate to take deposits from people then be unable to deliver because things went differently then I thought they would.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #74
Cat_Eyed_Lady
Unidentifiable?? Could be very intersting to get and see what happens I will just have to keep looking at your site then and checking here too because I am interested in getting some new stuff this year. More high end things

Old 04-02-2009, 02:24 AM   #75
Rich Z
Well, I checked on that first clutch laid yesterday (Wednesday). 16 eggs, all fertile and looking good.... So we're off to a good start, anyway. Trying to get all the breeding done before the real crunch hits with the egg laying. But it is wearing me down. Of course, I spent several hours yesterday on the phone with tech support trying to fix a problem with the new computer I just got to replace the other computer from Velocity Micro that is now dead in the water with a RAID ACCESS Failure. I thought the top of my head was going to pop off for a minute there.. The bozos at Velocity Micro are trying to tell me their supplier doesn't have the hard drive I need, yet I can get one locally at Best Buy, and Newegg has them available. That computer has been back to the shop four times now, and once this hard drive replaces those two RAIDed hard drives, every blasted thing in that computer except for the video cards will have been replaced at least once.... I get so angry over this that I have to check often to see if I am bleeding from my ears because of burst blood vessels in my head........

Old 04-02-2009, 03:09 AM   #76
JustinF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Well, I checked on that first clutch laid yesterday (Wednesday). 16 eggs, all fertile and looking good.... So we're off to a good start, anyway. Trying to get all the breeding done before the real crunch hits with the egg laying. But it is wearing me down. Of course, I spent several hours yesterday on the phone with tech support trying to fix a problem with the new computer I just got to replace the other computer from Velocity Micro that is now dead in the water with a RAID ACCESS Failure. I thought the top of my head was going to pop off for a minute there.. The bozos at Velocity Micro are trying to tell me their supplier doesn't have the hard drive I need, yet I can get one locally at Best Buy, and Newegg has them available. That computer has been back to the shop four times now, and once this hard drive replaces those two RAIDed hard drives, every blasted thing in that computer except for the video cards will have been replaced at least once.... I get so angry over this that I have to check often to see if I am bleeding from my ears because of burst blood vessels in my head........
If it ain't one thing, it's another! Good luck Rich, hopefully it's of some value for you to know so many of us are pullin' for ya!

Old 04-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #77
Rich Z
Formatting the replacement hard drive on that system right now. Hope the cloning goes well. Kind of odd that I needed to go into Windows FIRST to be able to partition and format that drive before being able to clone it. If Windows was zapped, what then? I'm holding my breath hoping I don't get those RAID ACCESS Failures I've been getting on that system and it hoses everything up.

I'm actually typing this on my new VISTA based system. Man, everything is running quick as all get out on this system. Probably that SSD drive is making a big difference, I guess....

Old 04-03-2009, 07:49 PM   #78
Susan
I remember the "?" snakes and what prevented me from getting any (besides the price and hubby being with me that year) was that you didn't even give us any hint what genes might be involved. You may have better luck selling them if you listed at least some partial genetics. You wouldn't have to give alot of detail, but saying hatchling "A" is from ashy, Sunkissed and/or stripe lineage might be enough. You wouldn't have to say it might also be het bloodred, lavender, hypo, amel and caramel.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:00 AM   #79
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I remember the "?" snakes and what prevented me from getting any (besides the price and hubby being with me that year) was that you didn't even give us any hint what genes might be involved. You may have better luck selling them if you listed at least some partial genetics. You wouldn't have to give alot of detail, but saying hatchling "A" is from ashy, Sunkissed and/or stripe lineage might be enough. You wouldn't have to say it might also be het bloodred, lavender, hypo, amel and caramel.
That might be reasonable if such things were combinations of known genes, but when talking about a possible NEW gene, does it really matter what lines it came from?

Even with combo genes, I suspect in the very near future that information just won't be forthcoming from those who "engineer" such combinations, simply because so many other people would simply want to roll their own and not pay for the efforts of the person who create that mixture being sold. Heck, it wasn't that long ago when I would have people wanting to know the formula for "Lavender", saying they wanted to create their own rather than pay the price for them.

Of course, not all that long ago, it would have been a rather simply matter for someone to reverse engineer a new looking corn suspected to be from a combination of existing genes. That is not the case any longer at all. So I believe that "trade secrets" will become the norm, rather than the exception.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:34 AM   #80
JustinF
Sounds about right.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google