CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

New motor for my vette...

Old 10-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
Rich Z
New motor for my vette...

Well, over the past 6 months or so, I sold off a big chunk of my gun collection and decided to buy a new motor and drivetrain for my vette with some of that money. Kind of trading in one hobby for another, I guess.

Anyway, the new 427 Warhawk motor came in to my tuner's place, so Connie and I ran over there yesterday so I could get my first look in person at it.

Honestly, I was surprised at how SMALL it actually was. Seemed to me it should have been a lot bigger for some reason. I guess it is surprising that so much power can some from something that small.

Anyway, I took some video of it and threw it together here:

My car will be going into the shop on 10/26 to get the transplant done. Then I'm going to have that older engine put into Connie's pickup truck... She'll be about the only person around with a vette powered pickup truck, I would imagine...

Old 10-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
danielle
LOL pickup with a vette motor...maybe she should take up racing

Old 10-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
torsten
Very nice!

Any chance of a pic/vid of the car itself?

Old 10-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
wade
That is sweet Rich. Remember the power comes from the eight empty spots on the inside.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
pwargcm
awesome. i miss my project cars. but i dont have time for them anyways, or the will to work on any more cars a day right now. lol.

and if you wanna think of funny size to power output ratios, look at small steam engines. theyre nuts on their power outputs.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
The_Thunderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by torsten View Post
Very nice!

Any chance of a pic/vid of the car itself?
I'm with Torsten on this one... Pics of the Vette with the new engine in it... AND of the pickup with the Vette engine in it.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:52 AM   #7
mynamesrick
Man that thing looks sweet! wish i could afford a 400+ci engine for my mustang, but i cant so im stuck with my little 350! Unfortunately I think I'm gonna have to sell it next summer.. just not practical having two cars right now.. Especially one that i can only drive a few months out of the year..

BTW i almost bought a HUGE lifted truck last summer with a Vette motor in it.. man would that have been sweettt!!

Old 10-19-2009, 02:36 AM   #8
Rich Z
Actually, I don't have a whole lot of video of my vette, at least nothing I have massaged into suitable format yet. But I do have one up on YouTube that is of a cruise we took with a local Corvette Club along route 98 bordering the Gulf of Mexico to the little town of Apalachicola.

At least you will get to see some of the other vettes we were hanging with...

Old 10-19-2009, 03:42 AM   #9
snakewispera snr
Sounds good Rich, 7 litres, so you don't hypermile then.... LOL
I reckon that every bloke has the perfect 10 garage, for when they get that lottery win.
I'm not any different, and although my garage has eight spaces taken up with European cars and the ninth going to Japan, the tenth spot has to be a Corvette... LOL
Though my 'vette would have to be a C3 (child of the 70's and the iconic 'Stingray', you know).
I know most people would call the C2 the iconic 'vette, but I fell in love with the C3
(after seeing 'Cleopatra Jones' in the cinema, as an impressionable young man)
Just a quick question Rich....
How much grunt is that monster going to put out, and what sort of times are we looking at. I mean the C5 is rated at 405 hp (really 425 hp, the company underrated it and later dyno tests found and extra 20 hp) so basically if the world ever stops spinning, we can get Rich and his vette to start it again.... LOL.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:25 AM   #10
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
Just a quick question Rich....
How much grunt is that monster going to put out, and what sort of times are we looking at. I mean the C5 is rated at 405 hp (really 425 hp, the company underrated it and later dyno tests found and extra 20 hp) so basically if the world ever stops spinning, we can get Rich and his vette to start it again.... LOL.
My tuner and the engine builder thing the motor will be putting out between 550 and 600 rear wheel horsepower. Of course, when the twin turbos kick in, they are conservatively estimating about 50 percent more on top of that.

I actually don't care a whole lot about the final horsepower rating. I just wanted a 427 engine in my vette, and chose the Warhawk because it's supposed to be one of the most robust blocks out there. Evidently they are able to get very good results with minimal efforts, so I'm getting everything replaced with beefier components. As I told my tuner/installer, I don't want to have broken parts scattered all over the road behind me if I should decide to get a bit frisky with the right foot.

I just need to be REAL careful that I don't wind up killing myself......

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google