CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Gulf of Mexico oil spill disaster...

Old 05-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
wilomn
Is anyone surprised that Haliburton, just 20 HOURS prior to this fiasco, was working on that well head?

Is anyone surprised that this is NOT the first, or second or third, or even 12th time, literally they've had this happen MORE than a dozen times, that this exact problem has occurred?

Who IS Haliburton again?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
The_Thunderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
I agree and it sickens me.
It pretty much all goes back to money.They were making billions of dollars with that oil rig,but were to cheap to spend the 500,000 that could have prevented that accident. No amount of money will ever fix it now,I just hope that they find a way to get it cleaned up.
I agree with you... however, there's a quote from the movie, Armageddon... "You know we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder."

It is, sadly, just one fact in life that isn't gonna change and, thus far hasn't proven to be the cause of the accident as tragic and horrible as it is.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
mike17l
My understanding, is that the drill hit a pocket of methane, at that point, there was really not much that could be done to stop the blowout.

Now about the current leak, yeah that should have been stopped by now, but to be honest, the impact is being blown out of proportion.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #14
wade
Mike, elaborate on that statement will you? How is it being blown out of proportion and what is your source of information?

Old 05-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #15
mike17l
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Mike, elaborate on that statement will you? How is it being blown out of proportion and what is your source of information?
The oil slick is a very thin layer on top of the water, most of, if not all of the crude is being burned off and thus not an issue (unlike the Exxon Valdez). Just one of the things you hear when you live on the coast and know people in the industry.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #16
Dinah
I am not really sure that anyone can really know how big of a deal this is yet. And I think that how big of a deal it is also depends on what you do and where you are and what your particular focus is. I do not know which industry the people you know are in, but by coast I presume you mean Texas. I can say that I also live near the coast (FL) and have friends in the 'industry' (by which I mean Fishing and tourism) and I can tell you they are say this is a huge deal.

Originally I am from the Keys and a lot of the fishermen I know are down right panicked! They are convinced that even if no further spreading happens the damage is done and they do not think the fishing will be ok for a long time to come. Things where bad enough already many people I have talked to with business in the Keys do not think their business will be able to survive the blow they are expecting. One guy I know who has been fishing commercially down there for at least 20 years before I was even born told me that if the oil makes it the gulf stream, they may as well put a closed sign on the Keys.

So what is my point? Just that lots of industry people can say whatever they want and it doesn't make it so. The truth is there is a very serious situation that has the potential to have set backs and could turn into a huge disaster, or we could luck out and be very fortunate and this can be contained and cleaned up quicker than anyone had hoped, but no matter what industry people say right now, the real truth is nobody knows yet how this is going to go, and anyone who claims to know be they Key Largo Fisherman or Unknown Industry Friends in Texas they are all just talking just talking out of their...um...tushes right now. Not a single one of them can tell the future!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #17
PJ@PJCReptiles
I have a hard time dealing with politics. This is going to be a bad one and the fall out should be interesting.

But Rich, I can ship you fresh Maine lobsters right to your door!

Old 05-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #18
StrangeCargo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
I agree and it sickens me.
They were making billions of dollars with that oil rig,but were to cheap to spend the 500,000 that could have prevented that accident.

Thats not entirely true. I am currently sitting on an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico. We were within eyesight of the Deepwater Horizon (I haven't been on land since it happened...still in the gulf). We watched it burn down over the 2-3day period. Our rigs work boats were one of the first on scene to help rescue the guys in the water.

That rig wasn't making money- it was a DRILLING rig (costs money to drill...our current rig is running $750,000/per day to drill our well). After we drill a well, a production platform is brought in..it will pull the oil out (if there's any down there).

Most of the time we'll drill a multi-million dollar hole and find NO oil and the investors LOOSE lots of money...sometimes we hit oil and they make alot of money...it's a gamble.

Drilling out here is HIGHLY regulated and safe. The Deepwater Horizon was one of the best around and the guys out there at the time of the accident were their best crew. The news media isn't giving you the whole story.... heck, we don't fully know what happened yet. But whatever happened was out of their control from what it looks like... It was a tradegy and alot of good people lost their lives... It's dangerous drilling out here...but heck, we all need gas for our cars, petroleum to make plastics, etc...

I have a degree in Wildlife & Fisheries Sciences- I love nature- and I work on offshore oil rigs.

I hope they get the oil spill contained with the least enviromental impact possible.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #19
StrangeCargo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike17l View Post
Now about the current leak, yeah that should have been stopped by now, but to be honest, the impact is being blown out of proportion.

They sent down ROVs (Remote operated vehicles) right away to close the seafloor stack BUT the valves wouldn't shut. Percipitates have probably frozen the valves.

OUR rig is drilling down to the exact same formation (just 17 miles away) in 6500' of water. There's a TON of gas down there in the different formations we're drilling through. It seems that as they were plugging the well, formation gas made it's way (channeling) through wet cement or through a shoe, and before they could do anything it was too late. Even the living quarters had balls of fire shooting down the hallways...

It's sad... heck, the guys that do the EXACT same job I do were killed (meaning that if I was working over there I would have been killed also). The guys who died were all in the porocess of trying to shut the well in and STOP the potential oil spill, fire, etc. They died trying....

The coast guard was out here trying to BURN the oil BUT there wasn't enough crud oil in the spill to burn so they were actually dumping an accelerant into the gulf that WOULD burn. This lasted ONE day... now they dumping surfactants in.

Hopefully everything gets contained asap!

Old 05-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #20
StrangeCargo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
Is anyone surprised that Haliburton, just 20 HOURS prior to this fiasco, was working on that well head?

Is anyone surprised that this is NOT the first, or second or third, or even 12th time, literally they've had this happen MORE than a dozen times, that this exact problem has occurred?

Who IS Haliburton again?
WILOMN- I take that statement personally. I work for Halliburton offshore in the Gulf of Mexico. The tradegy on the Deepwater Horizon was an accident.... The rest of the stuff posted is BULL $HIT... problems happen in every aspect of our jobs out here...we do everything in our power to prevent them... Drilling out here in the gulf to supply everyone gas, petroleum products, etc is dangerous. Those guys lost their lives...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google