• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Gulf of Mexico oil spill disaster...

Rich for vacation options may I suggest one of FL's many nice springs.

I am not trying minimize the size of the disaster, or the trauma to the residents of the Gulf region. ~But~ I do have one comment. Much, much more oil than this was spilled in the oceans in WWII. The oceans recovered. It may take decades, but I have a high regard for the versatility & resilience of nature, and if BP gets off its butt & stops the spill, eventually things will be better.

Are you volunteering to move down then? Perhaps a fisherman in Louisiana or Mississippi would like to trade houses/property values and careers with you. I know that FL is expected to loose almost 200,000 jobs and just under $11 Billion in lost economic activity. Even if the oceans eventually recover they wont any time soon and people are loosing their jobs/homes/business right now.
http://www.floridatoday.com/article...009/UCF-economist-calculates-oil-spill-losses

Are you volunteering to move down then? Perhaps a fisherman in Louisiana or Mississippi would like to trade houses/property values and careers with you. I know that FL is expected to loose almost 200,000 jobs and just under $11 Billion in lost economic activity. Even if the oceans eventually recover they wont any time soon and people are loosing their jobs/homes/business right now.
http://www.floridatoday.com/article...009/UCF-economist-calculates-oil-spill-losses

Since I don't own a house, I don't know that that trade would help anyone. And I am sorry you got the impression that I don't care about what is happening now. I am very worried about the economic fallout over the next weeks, months & years. But I am also hopeful that IF BP gets off its sit-upon parts, that my friends kids or grandkids will be able to enjoy the Gulf coast again.

BP has a lot of money, but their pockets are no where near deep enough to pay for all of the damages. How many people live along the coast or within easy driving distance that moved there solely to be nearby the water? How will they be compensated for that loss? It's not just the businesses losing money because those people are no longer coming around, it's a loss to those customers in that this negatively and dramatically reduces the quality of the life they chose for them in their decision about where to live, and where to go for recreation. Heck, when Connie and I were discussing moving to Florida, we picked the area we moved to because it was equidistant between the capital of Florida and the Gulf of Mexico. Would we have moved here had we known the Gulf would become an oil coverage open sewer? Hell no! One of my most pleasant memories is right after I moved down here (yes, I had to live down here by myself for a while), I took a drive on route 98 along the Gulf coast, and I marveled at the scenery and the fact that such beauty was just a short drive away from where we were going to be living. Quite honestly, I really REALLY resent that this is being taken away from us. I'm sure there are LOTS of people who feel the same way about all this. How will WE be compensated for this loss? Could I even put a price tag on that loss?

I'm sure there is a $$ limit that is already known to them that once reached, they fold up their tents and go home. You KNOW that this has been discussed behind closed doors at BP. They are in business to make money, not friends. Once they are forking out more money than they can conceivably recover from staying in business, they will close the doors rather than operate in the red. Or more likely assign a scapegoat that will take the rap and then declare bankruptcy.

This paying out of $5,000 checks for small claims is all just PR, and nothing more. They will tuck tail and run pretty soon, as soon as claims for REAL damages begin to mount, claiming they did all they could..... NO ONE can afford to pay the losses that will be taking place over the next decades because of this.

Sadly, I may not live long enough to see the day that the Gulf of Mexico is as it was during that drive I mentioned. :crying:

How many people live along the coast or within easy driving distance that moved there solely to be nearby the water? How will they be compensated for that loss? It's not just the businesses losing money because those people are no longer coming around, it's a loss to those customers in that this negatively and dramatically reduces the quality of the life they chose for them in their decision about where to live, and where to go for recreation.

That is a whole 'nother kettle of fish, the loss of quality of life. Almost impossible to even begin to quantify.

I'm sure there is a $$ limit that is already known to them that once reached, they fold up their tents and go home. You KNOW that this has been discussed behind closed doors at BP. They are in business to make money, not friends. Once they are forking out more money than they can conceivably recover from staying in business, they will close the doors rather than operate in the red. Or more likely assign a scapegoat that will take the rap and then declare bankruptcy.

And I have no doubt you are right about any of this. The question is, can Congress act fast enough, and does the US government have the "reach" given that BP is a British based company, to extract as much as possible of their assets to be put towards the clean up?

Of all the things I can imagine paying taxes for, cleaning up a disaster is one of the ones I am more willing. I hope the Federal Government decides to shift its priorities a bit and put some effort into helping the Gulf coast economy survive and into the cleanup. I realize nothing but time will clean it all up, but there has to be more that can be done. Can the government buy more boom or is it all being used already? Is there a role for the US Army Corps of Engineers to make like Seabees and build sand berms? If any those things are likely to help, I would be happy to pay my share of it.

Here's another interesting video with an intriguing perspective...

I would have to say here that volcanos under the sea are really nothing new to the Earth, so I'm not really sure why this one would be any different and why some people would think that if it IS actually a volcano, that this is some sort of doomsday event taking place.

Oh man Rich, that is classic internet. You have a little knowledge on a subject, “I visited a refinery once and I know what crude oil looks like”, and with that small knowledge you make an assumption and then and except it as fact and then draw out all the terrible consequences.

“There is yellow stuff coming out, sulfur is yellow, it is sulfur and everyone is going to die.”

Then he concludes it all by saying maybe they did it on purpose because the vaccine didn’t work. What’s that all about? Does it really need to be a conspiracy? Can’t it simply be a horrible accident?

Everything on the internet needs to be taken with a LARGE grain of salt.....

Of course, Leonardo DeVinci is considered now to be a visionary, where back in his day, he quite likely was considered as just another eccentric whacko...

Seriously, if this were actually volcanic activity, I would think seismographs would be going nuts in that area. :rolleyes:

For the heck of it I did a google search on this guy. All I could find were conspiracy blogs and doomsday websites. Nothing actually stating his credentials for making this kind of call. Im sure there are things we aren't being told about it but this is going a bit far. CNN has reports from everyday people of them trying to get into public areas to record the spill on film and BP security can be heard saying even though it is a public area no cameras are allowed.

For the heck of it I did a google search on this guy. All I could find were conspiracy blogs and doomsday websites. Nothing actually stating his credentials for making this kind of call. Im sure there are things we aren't being told about it but this is going a bit far. CNN has reports from everyday people of them trying to get into public areas to record the spill on film and BP security can be heard saying even though it is a public area no cameras are allowed.

Since when does a private corporation like BP have any authority over the public's access to public lands and what they can take in there with them?

Hmm, well that is interesting. If in fact that oil plume IS on fire a mile underneath the water, how did that happen? Was it ignited from the top and worked it's way down, or is it in flames beneath the ground? If the latter, then there is no way they can cap it off, because then PRESSURE would build up. Also, how are they going to draw off the oil to tankers if it is in flames? Suppose the entire oil reservoir underneath the ground is in flames right now?

I think there is a WHOLE lot of information that is being withheld about this situation. And none of it is likely good news.

Is it possible that all that red is, is the red clay they were drilling into?

Though I do agree, they are withholding information and of course if they are withholding it then it is not good news. They would release good news in a heart beat with how much bad publicity they have had from this.

Nope, it's not flames. Flames require oxygen. We are a mile under the ocean. Magma may be read because it is very hot but it does not flame under the ocean. I'm not saying that it isn't hot but I don't think it is. But it definitely is not flames.

Man, listen carefully to this one....

I was watching the live feed for several minutes. I know it's not very manly for a man to admit he almost cried, but damn.....

I think someone is going to need to talk to the Russians and find out how exactly they nukered that hole in the 70's..

My boyfriend just brought up a good point. If a storm comes in and there is any sort of storm surge everything in its path is going to get covered in oil. And the area was just recovering, ugh.

Back