CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

cross breeding a corn and a king

Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Jokerswild112
cross breeding a corn and a king

My friend recently told me he saw a corn milk cross which got me thinking about a king corn cross. I know its possible but I hear there's a trick to it and I was just wondering if anyone here has experience crossing a corn with a king who can fill me in on how to breed the 2 together successfully. Also I know kings are cannibals but I have a five foot beast of a miami corn female that I want to breed to a smaller low black cali king male will the corn snakes size stop the smaller king from attacking it?

Old 09-02-2011, 01:45 AM   #2
AliCat37
I have not bred any personally, but my friend who does breed corns told me that you have to have two corns ready to breed and remove the male (I think?) right before and put in the other male.
The whole king/corn cross scares me just because of the cannibal part xD
I know lots of people don't like hybrids... I'm not one of those people haha.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
SnakeAround
I thought the idea was to introduce the male of the couple with a same species female, and then replace the female with the female of the other species you want the male to bred to. They are so aroused they will mate than.

Just feed the king partner 2 days before the mating attempt, than it won't be hungry. And keep an eye on them of course!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
Christen
Next year I am shooting for Jungle corns and blutengel's example is the way that I am going. I am also going with a previous bred male so I know this boy knows what he doing and can get it done quickly.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
AliCat37
Yes Blutengel is right with which sex to pull out haha. Like I said, I only had someone tell me how to do it once!

Old 09-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
Airidies
I've heard that you want to use a female king to a male corn because king snakes copulate longer than corn snakes and that the long mating time can stress out a female corn and possibly injure the male king...

I'm not sure if that's true or not, just what I read so please correct me if I'm wrong lol