CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Regurgitation. Normal in gravid snakes?

Old 09-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #1
guttatus11
Regurgitation. Normal in gravid snakes?

This is my first time breeding corn snakes. My female has eaten weekly meals since I got her with no problem. After signs of eggs, I began feeding her twice a week, with no problem. She is due to lay the eggs this week. I gave her a small meal today, which she readily ate. An hour later, I found the regurgitated mouse. Is this normal in gravid snakes?
Temperature is normal, and there have been no other changes in environment.
I know that snakes often refuse meals before they lay, but is it normal for her to eat and then regurgitate the mouse?
Thank you for your help.
-Worried Owner.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
Susan
When a female is full of eggs, there is little room for much else which is why you always feed much smaller meals and why they sometimes won't even eat when close to laying. It is a good possibility that even though you fed her a small mouse, it was just too large for her system to handle this close to laying. I don't even offer my females food once I put the nest box in when I see them start going blue for their pre-lay shed.

And I am curious, this is a little late in the season for a female to be laying her first clutch. I know you're way up north so probably she didn't know it was "spring" until much later than the rest of us, but even so, it's just unusual unless the breeder has purposely altered their snake's cycle. Having hatchlings ready for sale right at Christmas time is going to be both lucky, but a hassle when it comes to shipping. What is the pairing?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
Nanci
I wouldn't say it's normal, but it would be an expected result of feeding a heavily gravid snake. I stop feeding the female after she goes blue for her pre-lay shed, and do not feed her until the evening of he day she lays, or the next day. The first meal I feed after laying is a couple fuzzies or a hopper, and then a weanling a couple days later, and then go to a small adult mouse (20-21 grams) every five days until the female gets close to her pre-breeding weight. I gradually move her to every seven days with a 24 gram adult mouse, and then every ten days once she is in prime condition again.

For next year, after you have completed the breedings, it's a good idea to do regular exercise with the female. Get her out for 10-15 minutes every evening and have her crawl through your hands or around on the floor, over your fingers. Stair climbing and swimming would also be beneficial. Be careful not to let her fall. As she becomes heavier with developing eggs, you can and should continue to exercise her daily, just keep things very gentle. Place her on the floor and encourage her to crawl over things like your hands so she is using her belly muscles. After the female goes blue for her pre-lay shed, I discontinue exercise for the blue period, though if she seems calm I may take her out once or twice after the shed for a very minimal crawl-around.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google