CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Regurgitation

Old 09-18-2017, 07:41 PM   #1
Gilman snakes
Regurgitation

My seven month old corn snake has regurgitated her last two meals.. I was just told that I should wait 2 weeks before trying to feed again, and not handle for a few days. (I wasn't aware of the two week wait period, so I just fed on her on her normal feed day, and found it two days later? Any other suggestions or ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-18-2017, 08:04 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
If it were my snake, I'd want to address The cause of the regurgitation, or understand it could happen again and again. Regurgitation is not a good thing for a snake to go through. If it happened 1 time........ Oh well. But you say the last 2 feedings have resulted in Regurgitations. Something is wrong. I'd not feed again for at least 2 weeks, and I'd try to find out what the problem is.

Possible causes for Regurgitation in snakes include: 1. Intestinal Blockages, 2. Internal Parasites, 3. A Meal too Large for the snake to handle, 4. Incorrect Temperatures (a Corn snake needs 82 to 86 degrees for optimal digestion. Some folks will tell you a corn snake can digest a meal in much cooler conditions, and that may be true, but that doesn't mean it's good for them.) 5. Rough handling after eating, 6. An impending Shed, 7. another illness

Old 09-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #3
Gilman snakes
Meal was not too big, same size she has been in for weeks, heat pad on a thermostat set to 85, several hides and greenery

Old 09-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #4
DollysMom
Read the Kathy Love FAQ (scroll down to it) here.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342

I think it will give you an understanding of why after one regurge, your snake regurged again. You need to not handle during your snake's recovery. Give your snake a chance to recover, and feed smaller prey.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:43 AM   #5
Gilman snakes
Thanks for everything guys!! When “cutting” in half (her next feed) should I cut width wise or length wise? (No panic needed, I use frozen thawed, so if I cut while still frozen it shouldn’t be too bad) TIA

Old 09-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
DollysMom
I've always cut width wise. I find with small mice a pair of sharp scissors while still slushy does the job. You can refreeze the other half if its still slushy, too. I just make sure I wash my hands and scissors well to keep bacterial contamination of the half to be refrozen at a minimum.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
Shiari
I cut lengthwise. Easier for them to get it down.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #8
Holly12
If your snake after the advise that everyone else has gave you still the snake regurgitation issue again. Then I would take the snake too a vet one that deals with reptiles and knows what they are doing. I wish you luck let us know how it went!.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #9
Gilman snakes
I went and bought a few super small pinkies, and she has let two down! Thank you all!

Old 10-09-2017, 06:20 PM   #10
Holly12
Good! hopefully she will keep them down and won't have anymore issues.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google