CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

$4000 Squirrel

Old 11-17-2005, 12:38 PM   #51
manog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
This is why they're respectively called hunting and fishing. If you killed/caught something every time it would be called killing and catching.

I love that

Old 11-17-2005, 12:56 PM   #52
Preita
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess
Well if the experience of being out in nature with your closest friends is what it's all about, why not spend a whole lot less money and not do the shooting part --->or perhaps spend that money on some awesome binoculars or a really nice camera and still go out into the nature with your friends but come home with some 'glossy' trophies of a different sort?

BTW, Please don't put a PETA spin on my comments...I love being out in nature and some of my favorite holidays have been camping and bushwalking trips but I don't see the fun in exploding a squirrel.

Shooting a dear and having some delicious meat to eat as a result I can totally appreciate though!
What does it really matter what people spend to have a good time? I mean if he enjoyed himself then thats all that matters. Who cares if he put it on his credit card? lol

The point is that he wanted to go hunting, (because I'm assuming hunting is one of his hobbies) with his buddies.

I can understand how it could be gratifying to explode a squirrel They are just rats with a better reputation

Old 11-17-2005, 04:00 PM   #53
coyote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taceas
For the amount of wildlife that Yellowstone contains, its in a very precarious balance. It'd be nice if C.U.T. would sell or be forced to sell their huge track of land adjacent to the park. Nothing more creepy than a white pickup with 3 men following you for miles on the back roads. =P
I was listening to a radio program that mentioned CUT last weekend. It seems that the property was purchased. But, get this, Cut retains the excusive right to pasture it's cattle on it. That aspect was not part of the purchase rendering the subsequent "ownership" impotent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taceas
As for the brucellosis thing. I'm not entirely familiar of it or its vectors of transmission, but how can bison/elk/deer live with it...yet we're afraid of it getting to cattle? Are the cattle unfit to eat after contracting it? Do they die quickly? Sometimes I have to wonder if trying to stave off every pathogen is a good idea. Its going to happen one day sooner or later, you can't avoid it. Best to try to breed brucellosis resistant cattle in the meantime (and no, not genetically altered cows).
There are three species of Brucellosis.
Most vertebrates are affected including humans where it is called Ungulate Fever/Bang's Disease or Malta Fever.
In Humans it causes serious flu like symptoms but can infect the central nervous system, the heart and the joints.
Infected animals can not be cured. Even though an animal will recover from the initial infection it remains a source of infection for life.
Common symptoms are abortion, infertility, gradual decline, weak offspring, poor lactation, lameness.
In animals the bacteria concentrate in the reproductive organs and the mammary glands.
Transmission is by direct contact with aborted fetuses, discharge from infected animals, blood to blood, during sexual intercourse, ingestion and via inhalation. The environment can become heavily contaminated with the organism.
Humans are most commonly infected by ingesting unpasteurized milk and milk products, meat that has not been thouroughly cooked, poor hygiene during slaughter and via breaks in the skin that enable access.
People at most risk are veterinarians, hunters, abattoir workers and anyone ingesting unpasteurized milk products.
There is a vaccine approved for use in cattle, bison, goats and sheep.
The bottom line is that for livestock producers, it is an expensive disease.

Old 11-17-2005, 05:29 PM   #54
ultimuttone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Boyer
What I don't get is just because some people don't 'get' what other people do, they want them to stop or do something else.

I guess you just have to be a hunter to 'get' it.

To each his own, the world is big enough of all types.

P.S. The field is far from even when comparing man and wild animal. Deer for instance see about much better then man, hear much better, smell much better and run MUCH faster. Firearms are the result of mans brain being much better, giving us the advantage and making us the top predator. If all were even then man just might not be at the top and we'd be in the middle of someone else's food chain.
If this was a response to my comment-
I may not get it, but I do not try to stop someone who likes hunting from doing so. Just because I don't feel the need to hunt doesn't mean I am trying to impose that on anyone else.
The only time I actively protest is the jerks who just want to go shoot things and leave them lay. Nothing worse than hiking the desert to find a pile of coyotes, rabbits, or rattlesnakes that some good ol' boys enjoyed "hunting" and left to rot. I figure if you are going to kill it you should at least use/eat it.
As for the sport of it, I have a lot of respect for someone who can take down a deer or elk with a bow. That is real skill.
My actual not getting it was the whole "look at this beautiful dead thing on my wall". You've enjoyed the experience, eaten some good meat, why the need for some morbid trophy? I have yet to find one person (even the hunting men in my family) who can give me a good reason a simple snapshot in the photo album wouldn't do.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:01 PM   #55
Clint Boyer
Quote:
who can give me a good reason a simple snapshot in the photo album wouldn't do.
My reason, because I like'em!

That's the only reason I need. To me, that is a good reason.

Like I said, to each his (or her) own. Just because you don't like mounted trophies, why should anyone else even need to have a 'good' reason?

Old 11-17-2005, 06:16 PM   #56
ultimuttone
All righty then...
Sorry to ruffle any feathers there.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:24 PM   #57
Clint Boyer
No problem here. I hope you didn't read any 'attitude' into that, there was none intended.

I just love open beam wooden ceilings with a rock firepalce surrounded by dusty old stuffed creatures!

Old 11-17-2005, 06:29 PM   #58
Billybobob
Quote:
No problem here. I hope you didn't read any 'attitude' into that, there was none intended.

I just love open beam wooden ceilings with a rock firepalce surrounded by dusty old stuffed creatures!
Amen brother.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:31 PM   #59
Preita
Quote:
My reason, because I like'em!
Thats the only reason anyone ever needs

Old 11-17-2005, 06:31 PM   #60
ghosthousecorns
I can kind of appreciate the beauty of taxidermy, a fish or deer head does lend a certain atmosphere, but it depends on the species... I got so mad the other day when a friend told me my anery snake would make a beautiful belt!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google