• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is it ok to house two snakes together?

Is it ok to house 2 corns together?

• Only if they arent both males

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Yes! never had a problem

Votes: 41 22.5%
  • No! I've had problems

Votes: 84 46.2%
  • Depends on the "personality" of the snakes

Votes: 48 26.4%

• Total voters
After over two years shouldn't this thread be killed? There are enough of new ones that get started over the same issue, these old ones really don't need to be drawn up. But then again, a thread is a thread.

And on that, let me ask a question: There are instances of corns who have been housed together who for some reason or another start fighting and one gets injured. If that is an avoidable risk, why wouldn't someone take it?

the offer to delete my account expired 5 minutes ago :) :)
i spent about 6 weeks introducing mine to each other to see if their behaviour changed whilst together before i put them both in together full-time.
i think if they are just put straight in together without any sort of 'familiarisation' then the situation/outcome would be different.

Well, you obviously care about your snakes. My cousin lives in England and has 3 adult cornsnakes cohabing together in this ridiculously huge viv and sees nothing wrong with it. He believes that they are fine and he hasnt had any problems, illness, feeding issues, etc. in the 7 yrs he's had them. I agree with you and the other forum members who have pointed out that there is a difference in opinion culturally/geographically on cohabing...

I've read that while corn snakes are preferrably solitary animals, it has not been uncommon to find some together out in the wild. I thought this to be pretty interesting.... I've seen it mentioned in a few places so I believe this to be true (not sure how frequently it happens though) and an interesting point that shows that Corns can potentially cohab successfully...but the fact that they prefer to be alone is what I believe to be some of the concern for the opposing arguments amongst other things.

I try to stay neutral on hot issues like this because I don't want to offend anyone and because this is decision based on individual preference and what individuals feel is an acceptable way to raise thier snakes.

I'm not convinced that all cohabing corns will inevitably end up turning against one another or that something horrible with arise from cohabing. But because snakes can cohab doesn't mean that its the best thing to do? You see my dilema? It could truly go either way so I'm torn. My two snakes are kept separate but ill take them both out together to see thier interactions with one another..they end up ignoring one another most of the time. Its only been one time that I saw them kind of inspect themselves and then slowy curl up together at the foot of my bed and just pose for the camera :) (but my camera had no batteries!!) That was a cute moment....

Anyway hopefully this topic can rest some. Lot's have been said and there will never be a unanymous resolution on the subject of cohabing. Ta Ta!

LMAO, I find it funny how, my first post on this forum (Except to say "hi") was about Co-habbing, and it whipped up a frenzy to a degree where my post had more posts and views than any other thread on that page for like 4 days except stickies.. I was wondering what the fuss was about.

And now, wherever I go, I see huge debated about co-habbing that lead to flames and multiple pages dedicated to people telling each other that they're wrong.

Nothing else to add here really. Just to say... Wow, people, chill out. Co-habbing vs Not is not the end of the world or a vital life issue; why does everyone get so damn up-themselves about whether to or not to? (at the risk of sounding like a hypocrite).

I think it's just that no-one will bow down to pressure from others to change their views. With that said, I ticked the last option, but my actualy answer would be much more in-depth than that, and the merits or lack of to my argument have already been threshed out in my other thread... Which I am not going to revive, lol.

If this post has to contribute anything, then I ask an open question to everyone who gets involved in these debates: Why are you so insistant on making your point, repeatedly, and telling the opposing party that they are wrong on every count. This question goes out to both sides of the debate :).

Nothing else to add here really. Just to say... Wow, people, chill out. Co-habbing vs Not is not the end of the world or a vital life issue; why does everyone get so damn up-themselves about whether to or not to? (at the risk of sounding like a hypocrite).
Some believe that it's a vital life issue for the snakes.

If this post has to contribute anything, then I ask an open question to everyone who gets involved in these debates: Why are you so insistant on making your point, repeatedly, and telling the opposing party that they are wrong on every count. This question goes out to both sides of the debate :).
Because it's a corn snake forum, and most people here are passionate about corn snakes. And while I'm a zillion times more tired of the topic than you can possibly be, I still understand why people may want to express their serious concerns when the topic is brought up. If a new keeper sees a thread promoting cohab, they may not have seen older threads where it has already been debated. Concerned and passionate members may be looking out for the newbies' snakes' well being when they repeat their points.

My opinion on the matter is pretty much set. And since I've actually cohabbed before and since I've seen problems result from the practice, I don't do it. I don't really care what anyone else has to say about it. And inexperienced keepers who wouldn't recognize signs of stress resulting from cohabbing should not be cohabbing. Hatchlings should never be cohabbed unless the very real risk of cannibalism is dismissed or ignored. I don't really care that much about most other peoples' snakes, so if they don't care that one of their hatchlings may eat another, I don't really care either. And if they ignore other risks of cohabbing juvies and adults, and their snakes die of stress-related disorders or the consequences of premature breeding, I don't care much either. :shrugs:

Fair enough. It is obviously a vital life issue, and I can see why people bring it up for the new owner's and snakes' benefit, but I'm curious why people feel the need for force their opinions down others' throats.

I guess, in my thread for example, what I would have liked is more an attitude of "I personally say - not a good idea. Here are the pros, here are the cons, here is some proof, now make up your own mind", rather than "GAH DON'T COHAB THEM THEY'LL ALL DIE AND YOU'LL DIE AND THE WORLD WILL EXPLODE!!!".

Ok, so I got some really good and fair answers from some, and a lot of people were fine about it. But quite a few (not just in my thread, but also in other threads I've read) aren't, and I wonder why people care so much about other people and their choices so as to almost go on a rampage whenever they so much as hear the word "co-hab".

Also, I'm not tired of the subject - I could read a topic a million times and not be tired of it, because someone always has something new to bring to the table. I just didn't realise it was such a hot topic in the community, and wonder why it bothers people so much :).

But fair enough, I understand your point of view :).

Arby-
Some people get over-zealous. Simple as that...on BOTH sides of the argument. People that successfully co-hab become adamant regarding the pros. People that have UN-successfully co-habbed become adamant about the cons. People that have never co-habbed are usually fiurmly on one side of the fence or another, for whatever reasons.

Much like Dean, I personally don't care how someone treats their own snakes, and couldn't possibly care less if someone co-habs or not, as I believe I mentioned to you.

I am, however, a fan of accuracy and realism when someone makes statements regarding a topic, especially one that DOES pose potential risks, such as co-habbing, breeding, and general husbandry. These topics generally have a cause and effect relationship, and while those that have debated the issue over and over are well aware of the pros and the cons...there are new members every day, and new snake owners every day...and a good number of them are not aware of the potential risks with co-habbing.

The choice is a personal decision, taking into account a variety of factors, and everyone must make this decision for themselves. But for anyone to "poo-poo" the risks involved is wrong. There ARE risks...legitimate risks to the health, life, and well-being of the involved snakes. It is NOT a practice that should be done by inexperienced keepers, and is something that should be seriously weighed for ALL of it's advantages AND disadvantages. The phrase "I haven't had any issues" is meaningless to this topic because, quite simply...there are risks. These risks need to be assessed for all of the seriousness that they MAY incur before this decision can be made.

Generally speaking...people react to this topic because the risks are often "downplayed" by practitioners, and those of us that choose not to co-hab feel the risk is greater than the reward. Personally...I do not see any benefit to co-habbing that outweighs the potential risks. So I don't co-hab. I can't make that decision for everyone, but I don't understand the point of view that says, "I am willing to risk it because..." To me...there is no logic in taking unnecessary risks with my animals. But that is not to say I can or will attempt to make that decision for someone else.

One thing I DO have a problem with...it's people flaming anyone with a different point of view. I got involved in this topic solely to lend support to tbtusk who was being flamed after posting solid and accurate information. There was no call for the aggression he was shown. I was subsequently shown the same aggression, but...a person needs to try MUCH harder to get me worked up than that.

Other people that do not co-hab because of the risks involved probably feel much the same way that I do...it is unfathomable hjow the risks are outweighed by the rewards...at least in my mind. And this, in and of itself, lends an air of importance to their opinion. It is the nature of the beast in topics like this, as you both saw, and will see again in the future, I am sure...

As your snakes look like adults and a male and female, I hope you are prepared for eggs, Oh! but then you probably will leave them in with Mom so she can take care of them until they hatch. susang

That last comment about the eggs seemed a little unfair susang, sorry to say it. Cohabbing is mainly a matter of opinion, whereas its a hard and fast rule that eggs must be incubated. Just because someone cohabs, doesn't mean they are any less informed and good at looking after thier snakes in other aspects. There are quite a few breeder over this side of the world (and well known members on this site too) that cohab their breeding pairs.

When I first posted a thread about possibly leaving my breeding pair together, everyone jumped on me and I got comments like 'and i suppose your going to throw all the hatchlings together in a tub.' These sort of comments upset me as they insult me ability to look after snakes. This is the same sort of thing.

Yeah it can be a little annoying to be jumped on if you say you cohabit,I had some one saying I obviously dont care enough for them etc i like to think I keep mine well and if i was to spot a problem i would seperate them. As previously said alot of people in the UK cohabit, its accepted more here it seems. Besides looking at the poll if you add the people who would co habit and those that say depends on the snake they do come to slightly more than those that wouldnt full stop. Now to me that suggests that there is def no one set way that the majority believe is right, its all opinion.

...Cohabbing is mainly a matter of opinion, whereas its a hard and fast rule that eggs must be incubated...
Really? Are there really any "hard and fast rules" in this hobby? I don't think so. I think that every single aspect of this hobby is open to experimentation and trial. "Hard and fast rules" implies there is nothing more to be learned about the situation, and I personally do not feel that there is a single aspect of this hobby that has achieved that position...

Certainly, there are things that are accepted as generally true, and things that are recommended as "best", but...we don't know for a fact that any aspect is 100% perfect, and without experimentation, we will never learn if there IS a better way to do things.

That's not to say you are wrong in your statement...it's only to hope that everyone realizes that experimentation is what this hobby is all about. There are things that are known to kill your snake, and there are things that are known to cause complications. But aside from that...everything else is really a matter of opinion as to what works best for each person...

Of course...this is merely an opinion, and only meant to stir the pot...I like to play Devil's Advocate...;)

Cohabbing is mainly a matter of opinion, whereas its a hard and fast rule that eggs must be incubated.

Really? Are there really any "hard and fast rules" in this hobby? I don't think so.

As I see it - and unless there some sort of cornsnaky Roe v. Wade precedent that I missed out on (I like to stir the pot too, Chris! ;) ) - the only hard and fast rule in this hobby is:

There are no hard and fast rules in this hobby.

regards,
jazz

That last comment about the eggs seemed a little unfair susang, sorry to say it. Cohabbing is mainly a matter of opinion, whereas its a hard and fast rule that eggs must be incubated.

Well let me just say there was a person on this forum a few months ago who left the eggs with the female saying she kept them warm. I also seem to remember a large carboard box the eggs and Mom were kept in.
We don't all play by the same rules, when one chooses to say what rules they play there will always be someone on the other side playing by different rules.

Yeah it can be a little annoying to be jumped on if you say you cohabit,I had some one saying I obviously dont care enough for them etc i like to think I keep mine well and if i was to spot a problem i would seperate them. As previously said alot of people in the UK cohabit, its accepted more here it seems. Besides looking at the poll if you add the people who would co habit and those that say depends on the snake they do come to slightly more than those that wouldnt full stop. Now to me that suggests that there is def no one set way that the majority believe is right, its all opinion.

yea i would agree with you there, i co-hab my snakes and got nailed by the comments. but its everyone opion, so far mine are doing fine, they havnt eaten each other and had thier first meal. so i guess for now im a pro co-hab.:dancer:

I don't agree with comments such as "there's no set thing" and "it's all just opinion". We're not talking about whether apple pie is tastier than pumpkin pie. There's only ONE way to avoid the risks associated with cohabitation: don't do it. That's not opinion; it's fact. But heck, I've only kept hundreds of corn snakes for 23 years. What do I know? :rolleyes:

yea i would agree with you there, i co-hab my snakes and got nailed by the comments. but its everyone opion, so far mine are doing fine, they havnt eaten each other and had thier first meal. so i guess for now im a pro co-hab.:dancer:

Do you see the statement you are making in another context or thread if you said "I co-hab no problems and they ate their first meal fine" if someone else did what you said the possible danger their snakes could be in. Many people on this thread and others are basing their iinformation on years of feeding, not just one time. susang

Do you see the statement you are making in another context or thread if you said "I co-hab no problems and they ate their first meal fine" if someone else did what you said the possible danger their snakes could be in. Many people on this thread and others are basing their iinformation on years of feeding, not just one time. susang

Hey Susan, I just flipped my first quarter and it came up heads! I'm going to bet heavily on the next 20 tosses coming up heads! I'm gonna be filthy rich!!11!! :dancer::dancer:

I also just called my dog to me from across a busy road, and he didn't even get hit by a car! I'm going to start doing this all the time. It's only opinion that you shouldn't let your dog out into a busy street! I just did it and he's fine!11!! :dancer::dancer:

I just drank a fifth of whiskey and drove 120mph on the highway in the oncoming lane, and I didn't get a scratch or nothin'. I'm going to keep it up!11!! :dancer: :dancer:

I just had unprotected sex with an HIV positive person, and the test came back negative! Now I can't wait to go back for more!!111!! :dancer: :dancer:

Hey Susan, I just flipped my first quarter and it came up heads! I'm going to bet heavily on the next 20 tosses coming up heads! I'm gonna be filthy rich!!11!! :dancer::dancer:

I also just called my dog to me from across a busy road, and he didn't even get hit by a car! I'm going to start doing this all the time. It's only opinion that you shouldn't let your dog out into a busy street! I just did it and he's fine!11!! :dancer::dancer:

I just drank a fifth of whiskey and drove 120mph on the highway in the oncoming lane, and I didn't get a scratch or nothin'. I'm going to keep it up!11!! :dancer: :dancer:

I just had unprotected sex with an HIV positive person, and the test came back negative! Now I can't wait to go back for more!!111!! :dancer: :dancer:

Awe Dean that's nothing. About an hour ago someone gave me a king snake, since I didn't have a viv ready I put him in with my yearling ghost mot. It's been about 2-3 minutes and all the king is doing is looking at my corn, do you think it's love?

Back