• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Motley or not-ley?

Shaky

Ought to know better
I saw a nice corn whose saddles seemed a lengthened motley pattern with the hypo-type effect. I would consider it a motley , but the belly pattern was something I have not seen before.(I thought motley ventrals were always plain)
This snake had no checkers, but was covered with a tiny, peppery sprinkle of black)
I guess my question is "How varied are motley belly patterns?"

I've seen bellies like you've described, only they belong to snakes of bloodred lineage rather than motley...

I agree Ive seen bellys like that but only from bloodreds... Motleys and Striped corns usually have plain white bellys... the peppered look is more of a bloodred thing... I would definantly pick that snake up... the belly tells all!!! I would say that its a young bloodred...

Does a young bloodred...

...look like a light motley. I'd say its well over a year old.
Maybe 2.
Anyway, I can't use it or house it right now(seems to be a male), but I wish someone here would. I'd like to see it develop.
(Here=Austin, TX)

my striped normal's belly

for the first 1/3 of his body, the belly is plain white
then it gets slightly peppered with black dots. Then peppered with an orangey background. I always thought this was a typical stripe's belly. Could he possibly have some bloodred blood? Or this is a normal thing?

4638belly1.JPG

4638belly2.JPG

4638belly3.JPG

4638belly4.JPG

Now here's a reason I don't believe the whole peppered belly thing is related to bloodreds....I used to have a female that was an anery striped motley (the ONLY one out of the entire clutch of 18 that I picked her from) with her entire ventral peppered. Awesome snake, Murphy's law got me in that she was the one and only snake I've lost to egg binding thus far. I have ahypo motley het anery male that also shows a lot of peppering on his belly...I'll take some pics this weekend and post em. I also have an amel that has blurred checks and peppering on her ventral (amel bloodred background? no idea what she's got lurking)...far as I know she has passed this on to her offspring....I gave one of her first male hatchlings to my sister-in-law and will be holding back a female from one of her clutches this year to see what happens.

and to think I wanted to thin the corn population to build up the hondos and leos. *sigh* Addiction is evil...someone take away my credit cards.

Back