• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tessera Debate

This one was on kingsnake a few days ago...
There is a Jungle Tessera? on Kingsnake right now...
1062811.jpg

Do they look as cool on elderly as their wrinkled tats?

You know, most of the elderly I have met with wrinkled tats served in WWII or Korea and their wrinkled service tats look cool to me. Dunno what I will think when I am old & my peers all have tats though. Sorry, off the thread topic.

I've been thinking this for a while. What about if you breed a tessera to a kingsnake or a to a pueblan milksnake or another snake besides corns and get half normals and half tesseras. Has anyone try this test? If so, than you will have your answer about tesseras being hybrids or not. I also know that just because tesseras are a dominate gene doesn't necessary mean they are 100% pure cornsnake.

I've been thinking this for a while. What about if you breed a tessera to a kingsnake or a to a pueblan milksnake or another snake besides corns and get half normals and half tesseras. Has anyone try this test? If so, than you will have your answer about tesseras being hybrids or not.
How exactly would that prove they were or weren't a hybrid??

I also know that just because tesseras are a dominate gene doesn't necessary mean they are 100% pure cornsnake.
Doesn't mean they are a hybrid either does it?

D80

It doesn't look like all the lines the three different breeders who introduced this have, but it certainly shows some huge similarities to one of them... I can't keep them straight at the moment though.
FYI, my post was completely tongue in cheek and not in the least serious. I fully trust that to the best of KJ, Graham, and Don's knowledge and experience they are not hybrids.

D80

Mike, in your bell curve example, would the perfectly striped Tesseras be the top of the bell or the edge? Are more perfectly striped Tesseras hatching, or are they relatively rare compared to the broken-stripe Tesseras?

Nanci, I have not personally produced any tesseras, so I cannot help much in that aspect, but as far as where on a curve a "perfect" tessera is...no idea, as few as have been produced, it may be way out on the end, or in the middle, we will have to wait for more to find out. It could also be the affect of multiple genes (tessera+stripe and/or motley), so the jury is still out.

What about if you breed a tessera to a kingsnake or a to a pueblan milksnake or another snake besides corns and get half normals and half tesseras. Has anyone try this test?
How exactly would that prove they were or weren't a hybrid??

Doesn't mean they are a hybrid either does it?

D80

Correct. It wouldn't prove or disprove hybrid. It would, however, show some evidence that the pattern might be dominant across different species.

This is gonna be a mix for anyone planning working w/ them: I'm thinking the only tessaras (at least 90%+) that become available in the next 3 years will just have one copy of the gene, being visual but just 'het for' giving only half clutches of the pattern. It will take another gen after that to have 'pure' tessaras from breeding them together, and it'd still be a guess if the offspring had 1 or both copies.
Let's see what the next 2 years market for them will be. There will be plenty time for lots ppl to get into working with them before it's played out. Years. I'd hope to get one in 2 yrs, but it might be three+ yrs before they are ~$300 which is most I'd buy one for. The market might not fall out fast as ppl think even tho is a dominant pattern. There's too many morphs that will gain from having this look and the time for ppl to get them and actually combine into multi-gene morphs.

Ah, but it does NOT display some of the classic tessera patterning, such as a stripe onto the tail. That is a pinstripe motley.

I SECOND THAT STRONGLY!!!! I have produced several Pinstripe Motleys and all look exactly like that photo. I could be wrong but I would bet my money that its Motley.

This one was on kingsnake a few days ago...

IMO...There is way to much motley in the stripe.

Upper right hand corner
99332CL_8_f-med.JPG

Hypo Motley/Pinstripe...stripes clean like Tessera but not related in any way. OH yeah! not a full stripe on the tale either.
99332CL_8_e-med.JPG

This is also why Tessera is going to be an interesting challenge for all of us. It brings the Bernie Madoffs out of the wood work to sell genetics that may not be as they appear.

Those are a perfect example of the difference in the width of the center stripe on a stripe vs a pinstripe motley.

Those are a perfect example of the difference in the width of the center stripe on a stripe vs a pinstripe motley.

Thank you Nanci. The pinstripe versions of motley are really unique against stripes. Tessera takes on the pinstripe look and then as seen with the new Sunkissed Tessera the stripe gets wide, weird huh!

I agree with Don S. in a personal Email, Tessera has thicker black borders against the stripe then stripes or motley/pinstripes.

If you _wanted_ to get them off, could you? Do your teeth have to have something done to them to get them put on? What if you need a filling?? Can they be x-rayed through?

Dentist way,yeah. They file and space your teeth. "Pull outs" as they call it way,no. They just slap it on. lol

Back