CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Tessera Debate

Old 06-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #41
El Jefe
One thing I thought I'd mention....

Hybrid or not, it still is acting UNLIKE a recessive gene. Find me a hybrid, corn, rat, king, colubrid X that has the codom/dominant gene expression we are seeing here. I know it is in boas and ball pythons...but the only colubrids that come to mind are the ultramel (only with amel) and then those persian pied ratsnakes (or whatever they are) and there may be a south american species or two. Granted, I am not very familiar with other pet industry colubrids beyond the domestic stuff...but I'm drawing a blank.

Basically, what I'm saying is that even "IF" it was a hybrid....it is pretty cool that it does not act recessive and that it DOES act codom/dominant. I.e. it seems to be a "new" gene any way you slice it.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #42
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrefocks View Post
Do the founding animals have names? Or numbers? In the green tree python world, adults who produce something new and become famous always have names. This should be looked into.
"Powder," the first powder, comes to mind. I'm sure Carol's first peppermint is registered. Those are two animals that come to mind immediately, where I personally know the breeders who hatched them out. In the peppermint's case, I am sure, being an LBR snake, he has an extensive pedigree.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #43
fyrefocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
"Powder," the first powder, comes to mind. I'm sure Carol's first peppermint is registered. Those are two animals that come to mind immediately, where I personally know the breeders who hatched them out. In the peppermint's case, I am sure, being an LBR snake, he has an extensive pedigree.
Figures. Theres a famous chondro named Powder.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #44
wstphal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBaroness View Post
If you want to talk about genetic mutations popping up all over the place, look at ball pythons.
This is a REALLY GOOD point. Although BPs can be crossed with other species in genus Python (according to the Interwebz as I've never personally looked at any BP x other python snakes), I would think given how much smaller Python regius is from all the other members of the genus, it would pretty easy for an experienced BP breeder to recognize a hybrid that is 1/2 BP. Yet all these neat morphs exploded in a short time thru (1) inbreeding and (2) people with good eyes realizing that a hatchling looked different enough to hold back & grow up (although obviously most eyes would have recognized that pied is really different! ).

Old 06-26-2010, 02:57 AM   #45
omni
I don't doubt Tessara are corns. I respect those that are working with them and know their reputations for being leaders in the hobby.
What I think the gene is, is a mutated pattern gene. This is why it has only shown up recently as being dominant to wild-type, an example would have been caught long before. Other species can get this type of pattern off as a survival trait. Garters for ex. are very fast, with excellent vison. They need not rely heavily on camoflage to avoid being eaten. Corns, are kinda slow comparitively, and a slow-moving high contrast snake would draw predators' attention.
So, I accept on face value due to who is working with them. I wasn't around for the Motley or Stripe debate. I'm sure it went along lines such as this.

You will see other new patterns in corns, I'm sure. Not too far off either!. The Tessara sure looks similiar to the Aztec look which isn't all that rare now. This patterning in corns isn't only cool to see, it will be educational in finding out better how genes work with each other and what variants will come about from crossing Tessara into various morphs in the future.
just my .02!
Can never have enough genes/patterns in corns! We Need More!!

Old 06-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #46
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni View Post
I wasn't around for the Motley or Stripe debate. I'm sure it went along lines such as this.
Yeah, but you were (are?) around for the Buf debate!!

Old 06-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #47
TandJ
Every three to four years, something turns up with in corn snake genetics.. They are always questioned.. There is still no on out there that has proved without doubt that ultramel is hybrid eithier..

Regards. Tim of T and J

Old 06-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #48
fyrefocks
The future is very clear to me now. All of you should give up corn snakes and invest in green tree pythons. Theres no doubt in anyones mind about those being pure. And they produce nifty things all the time.

For serious, and im sure its been said already in this thread, if youre questioning the finding of three very reputable corn snake producers, without bothering to invest in the project to see for yourself, then youre just jealous that you didnt make the discovery.

Bellyache all you want, but if you really want to prove they are hybrids then you need to belly up to the bar and buy a pair. Of course it would be impossible to actually determine their origins since the latest generations would definitely be pure corn, but i think you should put your money where your mouth is.

And for the record, im not defending the originators of this project, nor am i defending any one of the people who are lucky enough to be able to afford this mutation. In fact, id have no reason to defend anyone as i know no one on this site and i havent purchased anything from any of you. Im stating my opinion based on the what ive read about the mutation.

In summation, suck it up and buy a pair and do your own work to discredit these fine people, or shut up and go about your day.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #49
whoty
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrefocks View Post
In summation, suck it up and buy a pair and do your own work to discredit these fine people, or shut up and go about your day.
Is all of this really necessary? Or are you getting your panties in a bunch as well?

Old 06-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #50
fyrefocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoty View Post

Is all of this really necessary? Or are you getting your panties in a bunch as well?

Youre asking people who disagree with you to help you disprove something, all the while youre doing nothing in the way of supporting your claim. Im not the one with his panties in a bunch.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google