• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tessera Debate

I don't think that leopard rat looks anything like a corn actually. Look at the head pattern, eyes, and scales on the head- not corn looking at all to me. I also think that if the originator spent 10+ years to refine a rat/corn cross he wouldn't have dumped them off to another breeder to work with- doesn't make any sense to me. You'd have to do the original breeding, wait three years to breed the siblings, wait another three years for those to grow up, breed then into a "pure" corn, and then wait another three years for those snakes to mature to be bred again into corns. We're talking 12-15 years put into a project to then just say here guys look at these weird little buggers want em? Ridiculous theory IMO:)

I agree with Danielle.

That being said, I would like to see what would happen if you bred a Leapord Snake with a Corn Snake. Dont take this the wrong way-I believe that Don and the others are telling the truth-Thier reputation has been vouched for by multiple members, and Don has been more than willing to lay all of the information on the table, from the story to the photographs, when he certainly did not have to.

I would like to see the crossbreeds because I believe it would help settle this debate, which has gotten far too personal to be a good scholarly argument, once and for all. The tessera looking pattern trait in the leapord snake may be dominant in that species, but Im curious to see if it even carries over in the breedings, or if it even looks the same after the breeding. I realize that there would still be individuals who would fight over whether tesseras are hybrids or not, but a crossbreed might go a long way in ending any serious debate on whether the corns are leapord snake hybrids.

That all being said, I am NOT a breeder and I am just expressing my opinion here. I could be completely wrong.

I don't think that leopard rat looks anything like a corn actually. Look at the head pattern, eyes, and scales on the head- not corn looking at all to me. I also think that if the originator spent 10+ years to refine a rat/corn cross he wouldn't have dumped them off to another breeder to work with- doesn't make any sense to me. You'd have to do the original breeding, wait three years to breed the siblings, wait another three years for those to grow up, breed then into a "pure" corn, and then wait another three years for those snakes to mature to be bred again into corns. We're talking 12-15 years put into a project to then just say here guys look at these weird little buggers want em? Ridiculous theory IMO:)

Nevertheless,why would a guy give up the chance of having found a new morph,thats obviously worth $1200 big ones? Would you have sold them,even if you were getting out of the corns or whatever the case may be? And,I wonder....how much did Don or Graham purchase them for...or were they giving to them for free?

Personally, if I was getting out of corns entirely, had what looked like a new morph and a small collection... I would want it to get out there. Best way to do that? Find several reputable breeders and see if they would buy the corns for a modest price. I'm a nobody in this hobby and I plan on keeping my collection pretty small. If I did hatch out something really really strange I do not have the time, money, or space, to deal with it beyond finding out if it's heritable. At that point, I'd detail what I had with some of the bigger names on here (hoping for Carol because she lives close by. :p) and see if any of them wanted to take the project over. And that's me continuing with corns. If I was getting out of them I would sell the animals for a small sum to one of the big breeders to better disseminate the genes. Large breeders have a high number of females to work with.

Half the joy of creating something new... is seeing it out there and being enjoyed by others. Same reason why I draw.

Nevertheless,why would a guy give up the chance of having found a new morph,thats obviously worth $1200 big ones? Would you have sold them,even if you were getting out of the corns or whatever the case may be? And,I wonder....how much did Don or Graham purchase them for...or were they giving to them for free?

Because he DIDN'T KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or he suspected and didn't care. He thought they were some weird striped Okeetees, not a new gene. Whotty- you should see people at a show. They'll be sorting through a pile of baby corns. Oh look- this amel has black spots. I wonder if that's genetic! I'll buy it and find out! This normal has split belly checks. I wonder if it's het bloodred. I'll buy it and find out! Look, this bloodred has a teeny tiny patch of white on its side. Must be pied! Or at least het pied. I'm going to buy it and find out! Rich Z sold patternless-belly lavenders that were not mots. He didn't know what was up with them. He had too many other cool things to have time to care about them- so he sold them! If you stop by the Gourmet Rodent table at any show you can see a whole pile of adult cornsnakes that look really, really strange- but they aren't genetic, just some fluke.

So then someone like Graham comes along. Sees this guy has "striped Okeetees." He thinks, well, maybe, but I've seen hundreds of cornsnakes and something isn't right about them. I'll just buy them and find out! And he hits the jackpot. Graham is who bought the original Tesseras, BTW. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he shared that project with KJ, and one male was given to Don because Don has the whole catalog of cool morphs to work with, to pair him up with. Since it's a dominant trait, though, progress is being made really, really fast compared to a recessive gene. Which is why the price tag is even now relatively low, compared to other new morphs that came long, that weren't even new genes, just new combinations, such as lavender bloodred.

Since it's a dominant trait, though, progress is being made really, really fast compared to a recessive gene. Which is why the price tag is even now relatively low, compared to other new morphs that came long, that weren't even new genes, just new combinations, such as lavender bloodred.

And truly it's not going to take long before the price comes down even further. Like Nanci said it's dominant, so %50 of your first gen will be Tessara, so you can produce alot of these very quickly. The market won't support the current price tag for long :p

For all of you out there FIGHTING this morph. GET OVER IT....Its happening and its a cornsnake. Those who are non-believers that its pure are just jealous because they don't have one. But when the price comes down everyone will have one and all of you who open your mouths with negativity will be breeding them and seeing the light :) LOL

IT IS WHAT IT IS...except it.

Congrats to those so far who have made NEW morphs using the Tessera:

I've seen so far......Anery Tessera, Snow Tessera, Ultramel Tessera, and today the Sunkissed Tessera. Again congrats.

For all of you out there FIGHTING this morph. GET OVER IT....Its happening and its a cornsnake. Those who are non-believers that its pure are just jealous because they don't have one. But when the price comes down everyone will have one and all of you who open your mouths with negativity will be breeding them and seeing the light :) LOL

IT IS WHAT IT IS...except it.

Congrats to those so far who have made NEW morphs using the Tessera:

I've seen so far......Anery Tessera, Snow Tessera, Ultramel Tessera, and today the Sunkissed Tessera. Again congrats.

Thats your opinion. And,if you are talking about me in general as being jealous because I dont have one..yeah,ok. If I wanted 1,2, or 3 right now,I CAN afford them.
100_1431-1.jpg

Thats a lot of tesseras right there if u ask me.

I don't care if he is a vet its a slap in the face to alot of us when people flash money like its nothing. Forget the morph for a second who in the world with any respect for anyone does that? My kid is sitting here asking why we don't have money like that and I have to tell her we are poor I am sorry. Posting a photo like that is prideful and hurtful. All this over someone's insistance that such honest and good people are lying about a fricking SNAKE! If you have all that money buy some and prove they are not real corns. Don't wave money like that in a public forum its down right rude.

I don't care if he is a vet its a slap in the face to alot of us when people flash money like its nothing. Forget the morph for a second who in the world with any respect for anyone does that? My kid is sitting here asking why we don't have money like that and I have to tell her we are poor I am sorry. Posting a photo like that is prideful and hurtful. All this over someone's insistance that such honest and good people are lying about a fricking SNAKE! If you have all that money buy some and prove they are not real corns. Don't wave money like that in a public forum its down right rude.
If telling your kid "you're poor" is why you can't flash wads of cash and wear grills in what appears to be that kid's mom's home is such a blow to your pride, you might try being tactful instead and telling them you have more important things to spend your money on than useless tattoos and grills, like them (you children).

Last edited:

Well, what do you expect when he's being taunted about being too poor to buy a Tessera for himself? Apparently he is not. Has it crossed anyone's minds that maybe some of us like other morphs more?

AND there is no law that says the wealth of the world should be distributed equally.

I agree with you. Money shouldn't be flashed. You want to flash your money, do it with your snakes.

Whoty, I'm directing that statement to ALL who are against a NEW morph or oppurtunity to make something new. Coming from someone like myself who is literally living paycheck to paycheck and had ONE oppurtunity to invest in corns and took it. I have bred hybrids and have seen the outcome. Tessera in its own self is a new morph of cornsnake, period.

Nanci, please don't shut this thread down. It just started getting good.
1) I can't seem to rep carnivorouszoo lady
2) Pepper = Teddy Roosevelt = Lexie......actually has me on the floor laughing my @$$ off......actually my @$$$$$$$$$$$$$......:D ;)

I don't think that was funny. I think it was downright mean. And rude.

I don't think that was funny. I think it was downright mean. And rude.
Well then give me an infraction, you're a mod. All I'm saying is if you're going to complain you had to tell your kid you're "poor", you have every right to use whatever word choice you want. If you want to, you can tell them that it's toy money, how are they gonna know the difference? That's like if they ask why some people are prettier and you say "because we're ugly". You made the choice to use the words you did, not whoty.

Last edited:
I'm just defending a new morph that the world is only beginning to understand. In other words....Don't judge a book by its cover.

Well then give me an infraction, you're a mod. All I'm saying is if you're going to complain you had to tell your kid you're "poor", you have every right to use whatever word choice you want. If you want to, you can tell them that it's toy money, how are they gonna know the difference? That's like if they ask why some people are prettier and you say "because we're ugly". You made the choice to use the words you did, not whoty. Just like whoty made the choice to look like an ignorant thug even though he is apparently a vet.

Um, I already did. And hey- you've earned another one! You seem to have some sort of problem with Whotty's appearance- I'm not sure why- but telling him he looks like a dork and an ignorant thug is not going to be tolerated.

Back