CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

How many pinkies?

Old 08-13-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
ArvadaLanee
Question How many pinkies?

A while back, I tried bumping Nightmare up from 2 pinkies to a fuzzy. He ate the first one alright, but it was on the smaller side. The second time I tried a fuzzy, it seemed a bit larger than the first, and it also seemed to take him a while to eat it. Shortly after eating, while he still had quite a visible lump, I noticed the blue eyes. He ended up regurgitating, and then having a perfect shed. I waited 11 days and started him on half a pinkie, and moved him slowly back up to two pinkies. He hasn't had any further regurg issues. I want to get him eating more because I worry about him being underweight, but I don't want to rush him back up to fuzzies. I had considered feeding him more often, but then I was told that this is called "Power Feeding," and not really recommended. I saw that another person was feeding their snake 3 pinkies at a time. Would this be a safe way to get Nightmare to bulk up a little and be able to handle a fuzzie? If not, what would you experienced keepers suggest? Also, since he is back to 2 pinkies with no problems, is it safe for us to handle him again? Since his regurg, we have not handled him at all accept to move back and forth from his feeding container, because I wanted to avoid any unnecessary stress. I miss holding him. Thanks, as always, for all the help!

Old 08-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
obboi34
if he's been regurge free for at least a feeding or two i think you can go back to your regular feeding schedule. Try to discover the signs that your snake might be going in blue. My normal gets darker and her belly begins to turn grey about four days before his eyes turn cloudy. I'm not sure what the signs look like on an anery. I'm imagine greyer but another owner would know better than I.

When I switched to fuzzies it was shortly after feeding 2 pinks on a regular basis. As long as you don't feed too often or handle too much for 48 hours after feeding there should be no problem. I think I was feeding fuzzies every 7 days or so. I would recommend sticking with one fuzzy on that feeding schedule rather than three pinks. Also, I think the regurge was triggered by feeding when in blue rather than a size issue.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
ArvadaLanee
Okay. I knew the shedding could be the reason, but I get nervous. Especially seeing how long it took him to eat that second fuzzy. He still seems like such a little baby to me. Knowing how I am, he will probably always seem that way to me. Lol

Old 08-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #4
Nanci
It does take them a few times to adjust to eating fuzzies- then they get good at it. Some ways you can tell if he's blue before you can see it is a large weight gain since the last feeding, or inactivity when you would expect him to be out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google