• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

stupid breeders why cant you just leave things be

I really don't have a problem with them. The problem is what happens to the stuff I like to work with because of people that don't care and aren't smart enough to understand the affects their actions have on others. I'm sorry if you think your one of them. I didn't single anyone out, Ryan and I are on good terms. If he makes it to Daytona we can go bass fishing if he likes. You understand to make the hybrids you need those imported snakes you say don't matter. If I need to tell you why they are important, I don't care what your IQ is, you are not smart in this situation.

Where did I have a foul mouth? I didn't say one bad word.........just my opinions, you know, the same stuff you said.
3a21db3d.jpg

Glad you seem to be able to word stuff more friendly and clear now, good! I still do wonder what you would say about people you do have problems with... calling people lazy, greedy may not be the exact meaning of faul but it sure is insulting.

I feel like finally we can have a solid, civil discussion now. I do understand that you feel bad about the stuff you like being threatened, of course. But that does not give you the right to tell people who like other stuff that they are wrong, greedy, lazy and such. That is not gonna get you anywhere either, trying to educate people. I think you are very passionate, which makes you forget sometimes that not everybody shares your passion, and that does not mean they have low standards, just different.

I think fishing for fun is cruelty. Do I jump at you telling you you have low standards? I cannot understand the joy of it to be honest, but I've learned that people who like to fish are not bad people per se because they don't do it because they like to inflict harm to the fish. Well, breeders of hybrids do not intend to inflict pain on the animals or purist breeders, for that matter. Please try to respect them as long as they care for their animals correctly. I do respect breeders whom want to maintain certain species, it is just not my cup of tea. Of course I felt addressed, I told I breed hybrids, you talked breeders of hybrids down. However, I am not someone to get mad or develop bad feelings about someone easily, so as far as I'm concerned we are still on good terms, if that even applies to a strictly virtual relation :)

Well, if certain imported species cease to excist in captivity in a country I can get them from, I'll have to find other snakes I like to breed... but, the argument about needing them for making hybrids actually made sense to me. A good reason for breeders of hybrids to respect your efforts and maybe even do their own part of it!

You did say that the fact that I don't get the importance of what you are trying to tell us says a lot (or enough ro such) about my intelligence, so do not chance that into something else, naughty boy :p

Doug, "freezer fodder"? So you would throw a perfectly healthy snake into the freezer to freeze to death? Man I wouldn't want to be a snake in your collection.

Gerards, I really like the looks of those brooks. I'd be interested in a pair if you intend to breed them. (I won't make hybrids out of them, I promise.)

More pics for the pro-hybrid crowds viewing pleasure:

Doug didn't coin the freezer fodder phrase, I did! And just to clear things up, just because I refer to hybrids as "freezer fodder" does not mean that I would harm a perfectly healthy snake IN ANY WAY.
I have a 16 year old female that I suspect of being a rootbeer and also an ultra cinder. Still not sure whether or not I will be breeding the cinder, maybe if I could do a loan with a golddust male (she is possibly het for caramel).

Warning: I would also like to point out to everyone that this thread is not about fishing. If you wish to discuss such things, the Chit Chat Forum is the place for that type of a discussion, not the Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues forum you are in right now with this thread.

Doug didn't coin the freezer fodder phrase, I did! And just to clear things up, just because I refer to hybrids as "freezer fodder" does not mean that I would harm a perfectly healthy snake IN ANY WAY.
I have a 16 year old female that I suspect of being a rootbeer and also an ultra cinder. Still not sure whether or not I will be breeding the cinder, maybe if I could do a loan with a golddust male (she is possibly het for caramel).

How do you do that if you get physically ill seeing hybrids?

I maybe interesting in doing something like that Beth. I have a Golddust Mot. lol

How do you do that if you get physically ill seeing hybrids?

I get a bit ill at those striped red black and white thingys doing the nasty with an obvious corn. It's so so not right!!

I had the rootbeer as a pet long before I suspected that she might be a rootbeer, and the ultra cinder just kind of happened at Daytona....only female cindery something at the table and at the time ultra was considered a real cornsnake as far as I knew.

I maybe interesting in doing something like that Beth. I have a Golddust Mot.

Serious? Ellabelle is a slow growing 2010, but pretty and sweet. That would be really good, I really don't want any more ultra stuff of my own, and this would be a great solution.

@starsevol: Ok, so it is only the obvious hybrids from two different species which have that effect on you?

Actually, those make me cringe and say to myself "there are 2 nice species ruined now"...but intellectually I know they are a million times preferable to those cremesicle/rootbeer, looks like a corn but isn't kind of things....

That orange and black imperial pueblen somethingorother picture posted previously is the perfect snake for the hybrid person. It just looks wrong wrong wrong, but it looks so wrong that it can't be anything other than a hybrid, so in that sense it looks just right.....

Glad you seem to be able to word stuff more friendly and clear now, good! I still do wonder what you would say about people you do have problems with... calling people lazy, greedy may not be the exact meaning of faul but it sure is insulting.

I feel like finally we can have a solid, civil discussion now. I do understand that you feel bad about the stuff you like being threatened, of course. But that does not give you the right to tell people who like other stuff that they are wrong, greedy, lazy and such. That is not gonna get you anywhere either, trying to educate people. I think you are very passionate, which makes you forget sometimes that not everybody shares your passion, and that does not mean they have low standards, just different.

I think fishing for fun is cruelty. Do I jump at you telling you you have low standards? I cannot understand the joy of it to be honest, but I've learned that people who like to fish are not bad people per se because they don't do it because they like to inflict harm to the fish. Well, breeders of hybrids do not intend to inflict pain on the animals or purist breeders, for that matter. Please try to respect them as long as they care for their animals correctly. I do respect breeders whom want to maintain certain species, it is just not my cup of tea. Of course I felt addressed, I told I breed hybrids, you talked breeders of hybrids down. However, I am not someone to get mad or develop bad feelings about someone easily, so as far as I'm concerned we are still on good terms, if that even applies to a strictly virtual relation :)

Well, if certain imported species cease to excist in captivity in a country I can get them from, I'll have to find other snakes I like to breed... but, the argument about needing them for making hybrids actually made sense to me. A good reason for breeders of hybrids to respect your efforts and maybe even do their own part of it!

You did say that the fact that I don't get the importance of what you are trying to tell us says a lot (or enough ro such) about my intelligence, so do not chance that into something else, naughty boy :p

I do think it is lazy and stupid and when those people's actions affect what I and most people in this hobby(not this forum) likes to do, I have the right to say it. If your not someone that does that then my comments should not affect you at all. Your attitude towards the importance of having these species available to the future herpers is why we don't get along. Comparing fishing, something that doesn't affect what you do and breeding animals that affect what I want and love is a poor example. Not intending to do harm with your snakes doesn't mean you are not doing it. You say it's your right to breed what ever you want but it doesn't matter if you remove something I want to do. This is my problem, it's all about you and not about us. There is a way that we can both get our ways. Ryan says, if he produces something that looks like the natural phenotype, he keeps it. Only the completely unique animals end up with people, the "normal" type don't end up being wholesaled out to end up affecting me. Trying to make people not do something is unlikely, people doing their best to be professional and think about the whole picture is my goal. I don't know you, if your not the person I was talking bad about, don't take offense to it. If your are a professional and not in it for yourself, you should agree with me, it serves you too.

There really is no way of knowing if something has a hybrid ancestor unless it obviously sticks out like a sore thumb.

A perfect example is the thayeri x ruthveni crosses, even the F'1s can look almost identical to the pure thayeri. After a couple breedings back to thayeri, other than the fact that they are expressing the amel gene from the ruthveni, you would never know it wasn't a pure thayeri.

I agree that's what's so dangerous to the other pure species out there but you just can't police everyone.

That's why I do everything I can to prevent my hybrids from being passed as anything other than that.........a hybrid.

More pics:

Attachments

• male brook cornduran 1235.jpg
    male brook cornduran 1235.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 129
  • female jungle cornduran 1003.jpg
    female jungle cornduran 1003.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 128
  • brooklan3.jpg
    brooklan3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 128
RYAN STOP IT YOU ARE KILLING ME WITH THOSE PHOTOS UG they are so beautiful. ;____;

I personally LOVE the look of many hybrid snakes.

I believe that so long as there is an established population of snakes that can be reasonably assumed as pure, with natural hybridization allowed of course, then hybrids can be bred assuming they are labeled as such. Can we all agree on that?

Doug, "freezer fodder"? So you would throw a perfectly healthy snake into the freezer to freeze to death? Man I wouldn't want to be a snake in your collection.

That's just it Ryan, I don't have anything here in my collection that is worthy of being "freezer fodder".

BTW, your photos and your kind abomination offers don't irritate me in the least, so thanks, but I will happily pass on those. It only makes my earlier point that much more reinforced when I said that any good valid points brought up for not dispersing crosses/hybrids into the hobby mainstream would be totally ignored by you and some of the others in the first place.

Incidentally, here are just a few snakes here in my collection that you WON'T ever be owning to ruin. I am quite certain that you don't even know what kind half of these even are, but that is probably just as well. I also included a nice little wild-collected corn in there for some of the other corn folks viewing pleasure.

Copy1ofIMG_0019-1.jpg

IMG_0010-6.jpg

Copy1ofIMG_0027.jpg

goldenmale7.jpg

IMG_0141-1.jpg

IMG_0003-8.jpg

IMG_0004-9.jpg

Copy1ofIMG_0053-1.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

striped2.jpg

That's just it Ryan, I don't have anything here in my collection that is worthy of being "freezer fodder".

BTW, your photos and your kind abomination offers don't irritate me in the least, so thanks, but I will happily pass on those. It only makes my earlier point that much more reinforced when I said that any good valid points brought up for not dispersing crosses/hybrids into the hobby mainstream would be totally ignored by you and some of the others in the first place.

Incidentally, here are just a few snakes here in my collection that you WON'T ever be owning to ruin. I am quite certain that you don't even know what kind half of these even are, but that is probably just as well. I also included a nice little wild-collected corn in there for some of the other corn folks viewing pleasure.

Copy1ofIMG_0019-1.jpg

IMG_0010-6.jpg

Copy1ofIMG_0027.jpg

goldenmale7.jpg

IMG_0141-1.jpg

IMG_0003-8.jpg

IMG_0004-9.jpg

Copy1ofIMG_0053-1.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

striped2.jpg

That's a awesome corn snake Doug, where did that one come from? Lol!

Doug, you have some nice looking stuff there.

Yes I know what most of them are but I'll admit I'm not real familiar with some of the milks you posted. I don't work with a lot of milks especially the rarer forms but I have a pretty good idea what they are.

Nothing in my collection is "freezer fodder" either.

I was not trying to "irritate" you with the pics, I'm just showing some of the wonderful potential these "abominations" have.

Don't worry I don't want any of your snakes, for the most part everything you have I can get else where, however the same can not be said in your case.

I was making a facetious offer to you on a pair of hybrids but a serious offer does stand.

Maybe if you worked with some of these beautiful animals you would open your eyes and your mind.

Attachments

• brook korn breeder female3.jpg
    brook korn breeder female3.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 114
Beautiful snakes, and absolutely from a person who knows I appreciate his effort with them I'd hope :)

I love the fact that guys like Doug keep their collections for what they are, true captive bred or long term captive representatives of the naturally occurring snakes all of us read about, dreamed about, chased and as kids...but...my opinion...they are still an unnatural population of animals, no different than my ultramel based stuff in that they are kept to satisfy a person's needs or desires, in plastic containers and glass boxes, hatched in styrofoam chicken egg hatchers, or heated igloo coolers...Honestly tho you guys don't really expect to count on folks in the community to be the ones who "carry the torch" of purity in the snakes you love?...Really?...That's naive..at best...My snakes breed out lil baby pet snakes into an artificial world for them to be kept in another artificial world...it really is as simple as that to me...Everything we as hobbyist keepers/breeders etc do is so far outside the circle of Nature to satisfy our own needs, wants desires etc. I just don't understand all the hand wringing that goes on over the "future" of animals in a manmade world...More of that energy could be better spent at loss of habitiat, pesticides in the waters, invasive species and ignorance by people ;)...again, jmho, loved the off topic fish pics and I'll be spring bass fishing at the lake in the morning so hope to get pics up :*)

Last edited:
Well said Chris. You've impressed me as having an unusually large share of common sense (not just on this subject, but in many of your previous posts on here) and I think we could all stand to step back and put this discussion into perspective.

Question concerning the "Brooksi" everyone keeps posting, and then the "hybrid" produced by Ryan of a "Goini X Brooksi"...Current classifications state there is only 1 species, the Florida king snake, Lampropeltis getula floridana, which says that the supposed subspecies "Brooksi" and "Goini" and "Outerbanks" are all the same now. They are just normal variations in phenotype just like the Keys, Alabama and Okeetee corns. So why is everyone still talking about them as being separate species and crosses are "evil hybrids"?

Sources: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-guide/lampropeltisgfloridana.htm

http://www.reptile-database.org/

Back