CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

View Poll Results: After how many generations of "pure" breeding would say a snake is pure corn?
As long as a snake looks like a corn and acts like a corn, it's pure to me 4 8.16%
After 2 generations 0 0%
After 5 generations 5 10.20%
After 10 generations 7 14.29%
After 15 generations 1 2.04%
After 20 generations 0 0%
After 25 generations or more (if more, specify which number in the thread) 2 4.08%
If a snake has any hybrid ancestor, no matter how many generations ago, it's still a hybrid. 30 61.22%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Proposal regarding hybrids / pure corns

Old 01-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #71
BloodyBaroness
The vast majority of the corn population has great temperaments. Why not simply breed the most amiable tempered corns to other amiable tempered corns? There is ZERO reason to toss hybrids in there at all. Niklas is talking about what are considered pure corns, not hybrids/intergrades.

Why does everything have to be hybrids with you?

You have some interesting ideas, but you sound like a played out one trick pony tap dancing on a broken record. We all very clearly understand you like hybrids, but not every single thing has to be linked back to hybrids.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #72
tsst
Is it possible to breed a corn with a ball python? I would really love to have a bloodred ball.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #73
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsst View Post
Is it possible to breed a corn with a ball python? I would really love to have a bloodred ball.
I wish!! But no. I would have done it already, you know me -giggle-. The only reason I keep corns is because ball pythons don't come in a striking red...YET!!

Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #74
Carpe Serpentis
All I am saying is that if one is going to be super serious about keeping corn snakes pure then a dna parentage test is a good way of keeping track of what is what and where something has come from. Now, if your spending $1000 dollars or more on a corn snake, I can't also see doing a parentage test to prove that snake is indeed from the parents one says it is. Its a good way to sell hets for 1000 dollar and up snakes as well. I mean, $30 dollars for a dna test to prove parentage just doesn't seem like much if one is already spending over $1000 for that corn. Obviously for lower end snakes the market would probably not warrant getting a dna test, but I personally would never spend more than 900$ dollars on a snake without also popping for a dna test to prove it is from the stock I'm told it is.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #75
Carpe Serpentis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiklasTyreso View Post
A good definition of a cornsnake should also specify behaviour patterns. I like corns as they used not to be agressive and they did not musk.
I think people that like to get bitten and musked on should breed other species than cornsnakes, just stop breeding such traits into cornsnakes.

I'm not against hybrids, I'm a 4 % neanderthal hybrid my self, but I like the good old nice tempered cornsnakes like they used to be.
The comment, " I like corns as they used not to be aggressive and did they did not musk" implies that something was done or introduced into corns to cause this. While it is not stated, it is reasonable to imply that he is talking about hybrids here from this statement alone Baron.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #76
Nanci
Not necessarily. Maybe that person just hasn't experienced the one in a thousand corns that is evil, before!

Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #77
Nanci
One way to increase the number of bitey corns is to breed stock that isn't selected for temperament.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #78
Chip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Not necessarily. Maybe that person just hasn't experienced the one in a thousand corns that is evil, before!
Or one in a hundred, if you have my luck & ratios. Or one in ten, if you have locality okeetees. Or one in one if you have sunkissed!

Old 01-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #79
BloodyBaroness
Which is why my comment of "Why not simply breed the most amiable tempered corns to other amiable tempered corns? There is ZERO reason to toss hybrids in there at all" makes a heck of a lot more sense contextually. Hybrids do not need to be included at all.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #80
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBaroness View Post
Which is why my comment of "Why not simply breed the most amiable tempered corns to other amiable tempered corns? There is ZERO reason to toss hybrids in there at all" makes a heck of a lot more sense contextually. Hybrids do not need to be included at all.
Yep. Temperement can be bred for. I'll quote the totally awesome silver fox breeding projects. No hybridisation, pure selection for behavioural traits, proper scientific methodology, testing of genetics vs maternal influences, with bonus and unexpected links to morphological changes. their not sankes, but to me, they are fascinating.
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...domestication/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google