CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Scale less Corns anyone?

Old 02-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #41
Maize411
Talking

I do like the way it looks..but personally have no interest in owning one..

Old 02-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #42
Clayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT41042 View Post
Scale less Corn anyone? I’ve been lurking here for a year or so and have never posted but I thought maybe some of you guys and gals might find this project interesting...Brian Barczyk (BHB Enterprises) let me in on this new and exciting mutation at the absolute ground floor – The Scale less Corn...The pics are of a normal Corn – Can you imagine a Bloodred or Butter or maybe a Lavender? How about a Striped Snow or Sunglow Motley? Absolutely endless...The best thing about the mutation is that it’s recessive...They are awesome – The eat fine – shed fine and reproduce fine...I’m really stoked about the combos to be made with these guys...
BT

WOW!!!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #43
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanchii View Post
Come over here and say that, buddy.
My post was a joke. I'll take your post as a joke too. If I was to take your post seriously, I'd have to ban you for threatening another member. Relax, kid.

Edited to add: I just looked at this member's profile. I was threatened by a pretty young woman! Unfortunately, I can't say it's the first time.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #44
susang
I too will not say I like it or don't, part of me does, part doesn't. I do have to ask WHY? What are the benefits to a scaleless snake? Please don't refer me to a radio program either, just a brief reason.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #45
Roy Munson
I don't like the idea of propogating these things either, but I can't quite put my finger on the reason. But to play devil's advocate, some of the other mutations that we propogate in captive corns would be to their detriment in the wild. Amelanism is the biggest one I can think of, and it's the most widespread. What are the benefits of an amelanistic snake? If scaleless can be kept without incident in captivity, then why not?

Old 02-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #46
RavenSpirit360
I think they look really cool. And as long as there are no health problems with them and they are comfortable then its not really cruel. I do see why people would be upset, but I also see that it might not be as bad as people think either. I think we need more info. It would be nice if the breeder would come here and educate us on what he has. I have dial up so I don't think I would be able to listen to the radio show well.. And we are a group that likes to ask questions Ask if he would come and talk to us .

Old 02-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #47
mactopa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriathiel View Post
I'm a little shocked at the number of people saying how cruel it is - for all we know because the snake doesn't have scales the same gene could thicken the skin and make the snake perfectly healthy and fine. And as to the loss of water - some species simply require more humid conditions. You may not like the way it looks but I wouldn't call it cruel until you know more about it.
a two headed snake can better hunt and eats more,
a snake without eyes can better smell
and a snake with two tails can better threaten
searching for explanations to upgrade things doesn't make them better

Old 02-25-2008, 03:28 PM   #48
tricksterpup
You know, people have been doing weird Genetics to animals for the last 1000 years. It became part of domestication. I mean, just google Silkie chicken. This is going to happen eventually with reptiles as it has with furred and feathered live stock.
I will say in my personal opinion that I do like the patterns and coloration. I just find these pictures to small for me to view them and get a really good look at the snake.
As for it being cruel, i can not say, i am not a scaleless snake and I can not feel what they feel; they still may be fine. I just don't know or will not say.

Now as morphs and mutations go, I am sure there will be some interest, on a professional biologist/herpetologist level, in this unlike coloration. This could give us a glimpse at how animals eventually lost scales and went to being soft skinned mammals. Seriously, if I was still getting my doctorate in Biology. I would center on this. I find these animals fascinating and would love to research them so more. Heck, i would go so far and say, I would even breed them to document behavior and life span of these animals.

Remember a large selection of Genetically bred animals would not survive in the wild if man disappeared today. Be it the Holstein cow or a pure bred dog, they would disappear along side us.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #49
The_Saiyajin
I am also one of the people who do not understand why.
I am not interested int his kind of mutation.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #50
susang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
I don't like the idea of propogating these things either, but I can't quite put my finger on the reason. But to play devil's advocate, some of the other mutations that we propogate in captive corns would be to their detriment in the wild. Amelanism is the biggest one I can think of, and it's the most widespread. What are the benefits of an amelanistic snake? If scaleless can be kept without incident in captivity, then why not?
I agree with what you're saying, but that doesn't answer WHY. The way I understand emoryi was bred to make bigger, heartier snakes. Although I own a Creamsicle, at the time I would have said WHY does a corn snake have to be bigger...? If this is playing (can't think of another word) with genetics, just for the sake of can we... I know the arguement can be made it has been done in the past with good and bad results I just go back to WHY?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google