CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Scale less Corns anyone?

Old 02-25-2008, 07:25 PM   #61
ZoologyMajor
They look really cool that is for sure. I'm kinda interested in knowing what it feels like to hold one. I would also like to see the hard data on this morph. IF it doesn't adversely affect the snake in that condition, I see nothing wrong with it.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:24 PM   #62
Invictus
This is absolutely disgusting IMO. This mutation should never be propagated, as there is WELL-documented proof that this is a deleterious gene. This is not like propagating a color mutation - this is akin to skinless humans.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:34 PM   #63
Eriathiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactopa View Post
a two headed snake can better hunt and eats more,
a snake without eyes can better smell
and a snake with two tails can better threaten
searching for explanations to upgrade things doesn't make them better

I'm not saying it makes it better or worse - I'm saying we have yet to see proof that this is a horrible condition in snakes. People keep saying, how can the snake be happy - but I ask, how would the snake know otherwise? Its not like its scales were ripped out one by one, it was born this way. If the snake can live a healthy life then whats the problem? I wouldn't suggest trying to release them into the wild - but as Dean pointed out most amels don't survive in the wild because of their color. Yet we have no problem breeding them for pleasure.
Just something to think about.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #64
Duff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
This is absolutely disgusting IMO. This mutation should never be propagated, as there is WELL-documented proof that this is a deleterious gene. This is not like propagating a color mutation - this is akin to skinless humans.
That's a quite a stretch, IMO. They have skin. It's more like hairless humans (or dogs, cats, rats). How many people consider that cruel?

Personally, I think anyone calling this wrong or cruel is a hypocrite if they own any non-wild morphs or mutations of any species. It's the same thing, unless it can be shown that there's a real quality of life issue. A scale less snake doesn't know it was born without scales, so I'm sure it doesn't know it's different.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #65
tricksterpup
Quote:
Huh??? This is nothing like skinless humans? People, you are missing out of something that is truly interesting and very unique in science. I think that this may be very similar to the original genetic trait that went from reptiles to dinosaurs to birds (yes, there are theories that dinosaurs evolved into birds). This is something bigger than coloration in an animal. This is a physical difference in the herp itself. Now the question is, does the animal loose moisture due to the lack of scales. It was the next step in the evolutionary scale between reptiles and amphibians, next to shelled eggs. This was to help retain moisture and afford protection to the elements. But typically, what elements do these snakes face? I would happen to guess zero.

But still, I think there is something there that would prove very interesting and would be fun to explore (and not in the pet hobby sense) but scientifically. There is a bigger picture here besides is it cruel or I just don't like the look of the animal.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #66
Invictus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricksterpup View Post
But still, I think there is something there that would prove very interesting and would be fun to explore (and not in the pet hobby sense) but scientifically. There is a bigger picture here besides is it cruel or I just don't like the look of the animal.
You're right - the bigger picture is the $$$$$$ that will be made propagating a deleterious gene. If it's strictly for science, then I hope we see this horrid morph being sold for $10, which is what it's worth. Otherwise, please don't try to tell me that the people propagating this gene are in the least bit interested in the science of it.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #67
MikeSaw23
I do not like the scale-less corns

Old 02-25-2008, 11:31 PM   #68
waldo
I love the look of scaless reptiles and would happily own one.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:59 PM   #70
tricksterpup
Quote:
You're right - the bigger picture is the $$$$$$ that will be made propagating a deleterious gene. If it's strictly for science, then I hope we see this horrid morph being sold for $10, which is what it's worth. Otherwise, please don't try to tell me that the people propagating this gene are in the least bit interested in the science of it.
Why are you so argumentative?? I am pointing out some facts here. Me personally, I am not into it as a breeder. I personally do not sell snakes but do shows for educational purposes. I personally know professional herpetologists and they are not in it for the money.
But then again, from your planned 2008 breeding, how many are $10 snakes?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google